Legal marijuana: Will most states head that way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hMPp://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0917/Legal-marijuana-Will-most-states-head-that-way

Legal marijuana: Will most states head that way?

Is it possible that most US states will legalize marijuana for recreational use?

Already, Washington State and Colorado are working out detailed regulations for such use after voters last year approved the possession and consumption of personal amounts of pot. And 20 states, plus the District of Columbia, have allowed marijuana for medicinal purposes.

It's been 17 years since California voters shocked the world by allowing doctors to write prescriptions for pot and almost exactly 31 years since Ronald Reagan assured the nation that "we're going to win the war" on marijuana and other illicit drugs.

Now this summer, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has signaled that it will mostly leave to states the responsibility to regulate individuals' use of pot. And a majority of Americans – 52 percent, according to the Pew Research Center, now agree with that ubiquitous reggae plea: "Le-ga-lize it."

Yes, people are still being arrested for selling, even consuming, outlawed street drugs, and many members of society are still troubled by, among other things, new psychoactive compounds like the club drug "Molly," which has been blamed for several recent deaths.

And specifically regarding marijuana, the federal government still categorizes it as more harmful than cocaine.

Nevertheless, some policy experts predict that 1 out of 5 states will have legal recreational marijuana for American adults by 2016, and even some legalization critics like columnist David Frum have conceded that before long, half of US states will probably sanction recreational use.

To be sure, some suggest those time frames may be a bit heady, especially given the relatively slow pace of medical-marijuana expansion. But such predictions are also hard to discount, given rapidly shifting attitudes, often across political lines, about pot.

"There's a lot of political forces at play here, and there's a sense that the DOJ's announcement, which does represent a pretty big policy shift, doesn't tackle everything," says Robert Mikos, a marijuana law expert at Vanderbilt University Law School in Nashville, Tenn.

Scientific and medical texts of thousands of years point to medicinal properties of marijuana. It states that smoked marijuana reduces nausea and reduces pain for many patients, curing many critical illnesses. Consult doctors before use.

Well it's about time don't you think? :huh:

I've been a pot smoker for 35+ years and imho there never should have been a prohibition on marijuana. Whether someone wants to use it medically or recreationally it should be legal. Something has to be done about the 750,000 annual arrests for MJ that feed the cottage industry of courts and penal institutions.

Free the bud~! :joint:

Here in the southeastern US, I doubt it will be legal anytime soon.

Auburn1985 said:
Here in the southeastern US, I doubt it will be legal anytime soon.

I believe NC will legalize and Alabama has had medical marijauna discussion before........ I also believe Alabama and Tennesse could legalize medical mj.

Alabama and NC both squashed their bills in committee, leaving no room even for discussion of the matter - well, NC did allow 20 minutes' discussion. NC has moved backwards on just about every legislative front recently, it would seem. When I left NC 13 years ago, I'd have never dreamed they'd go this direction. I lived in Asheville, though, and up there you kind of forget how conservative the rest of the state can be.

It really looks to me like it just ain't happening down here any time soon, but I hope I'm wrong.

And I am here in the "Texas of the west"--Idaho. I doubt that they will legalize it in my lifetime. They actually tried to pass a pre-emptive bill last year that I didn't quite understand.

I really think the time has come for me to move to a more progressive place. I am most likely going to put my place on the market in the spring and look for greener pastures.

THG - My wife and I are thinking along the same lines. We moved to GA from CO for family reasons, but those have been wrapped up and we need to get out west again. Do you have any knowledge about the Spokane or Pullman, WA areas? I really like the CDA area just from passing through, but, like you said, ID may not change until after the south, even!

Been to Spokane a few times. Nice ppl and hot!

First city I ever encountered the Champaigne strain being grown.

I love Seattle, but Mount Rainier scares the hell out of me. :bolt:

(Its name is apt because I have never been in a rainier city.)

I was in the Navy in Bremerton, just across the sound from Seattle, but we don't want to get into the rain forest climate around that part of the state. It would be nice to be able to visit and do weekends there, though.

YYZ - I love Mt. Rainier - took a mountaineering class and snow camped and climbed several peaks out there, including Rainier (didn't summit Rainier). Gorgeous!

7GE - Do you mean the people are hot, or the climate? :hubba: I've never spent any time there at all, but like the size of it - and the legal 420! :icon_smile:

I was speaking about the summertime weather....:rofl:

My wife loved it because we could hop over to Idaho and buy mega cheap ciggy's for her (blech!!!)

See? My wife would dig cheap smokes, too. :woohoo:

Hot and dry summers beat the hot and hella-humid ones in GA, fo' sho! :D

key2life said:
YYZ - I love Mt. Rainier - took a mountaineering class and snow camped and climbed several peaks out there, including Rainier (didn't summit Rainier). Gorgeous!
I would love to see all of the Cascade volcanoes eventually. All of them are awesome. I would need to drive up them, though (if that is feasible) -- as out of shape as I am I would have a coronary if I tried climbing a mountain.
:stuff-1125699181_i_

Green mojo for serving our country, Sailor.

The Hemp Goddess said:
And I am here in the "Texas of the west"--Idaho. I doubt that they will legalize it in my lifetime. They actually tried to pass a pre-emptive bill last year that I didn't quite understand.

I really think the time has come for me to move to a more progressive place. I am most likely going to put my place on the market in the spring and look for greener pastures.

I've decided to do the same. I'm looking to transfer to Colorado Springs, Colorado. My company has offices and job openings there. I'm sick of the hot, humid southeastern US anyway. My allergies drive me crazy every spring.

Too many of the "3 F's" for us to go back to CO - Fracking, Flooding, and Fires.

We're thinking Oregon or Washington this time around, but we'll always pull for the Broncos and Rockies.

Latest posts

Back