Legalize vs. Decriminalize

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legalize mj, or decriminalize?

• Legalize

• Decriminalize

Results are only viewable after voting.

ishnish

Nug Lover
Reaction score
As it began with medical mj in the legal field, marijuana laws are ever moving from putting people in jail to regulation/taxation. However, I'm beginning to frown on the legalization efforts in the fact that, I don't believe we should have to get big LEO's permission to grow and utilize a natural plant.
I feel that mj needs to be decriminalized and let be. You don't need to get permission to grow a rose bush or tomato plant, mj shouldn't be an exception.
Some may argue that the tax money can help reduce other tax burdens on the people, but get real, the g0v it constantly wasting billions already, why give them more money to waste.
Just a thought with a slight rant.
I look forward to other peoples thoughts.

:confused2: if it legalized then you could not be charged with a crime, so would that not be decriminalized? if there is no laws to be broken you can't become a criminal.

I agree with you. But hey at least we are making progress Cannabis was the devil ten years ago lol.

Yes, I suppose thru legalization we can expect to possibly see it decriminalized sometime in the next 500 years, give or take a few. I guess my main issue is that big brother is just gonna get their sticky fingers all up in the taxation part of it.

taxes are what makes the US the way it is. We have to have taxes to support our ways of life. We just like vitching about them but we all know they make our way of life possible

you are taxed if you buy it. after the shock of legal pot wears off. people will come to realize, why am i paying 300$ for an ounce of pot, when i can buy rooted clones off of craigslist for 5$ each, and grow enough every summer to last me all year.

i've always understood it opposite as you, ish;
decriminalization to me, is just allowing us to smoke it..
i guess in it's definition, it should be completely legal, not a crime at all.. but any decrim movement i hear is just about taxes and fines over jail time.
..breadcrumbs in my eyes, unacceptable breadcrumbs ;)
basically to me decriminalization is; they allow their bigwig buddies to grow it, they tax it.. and fine/jail others who cut into their profits.

legalization to me, is where everyone is even.. no picking and choosing who can and can't use it or grow it. i've always frowned on that.

i also have no problem with big corporate cashcrops.. as long as it's all legal and i can choose to grow my own at the same time without fines or jail fears.
..now whatever that term is :confused2:

Right now, it is being decriminalized as it gets legalized.
What this means is there are easing up......a bit...on arrests because as it becomes "decriminalized" leading to legalized, there will be far too many court cases looking for appeals once they do legalize.
Hope that makes sense, I'm really stoned, and it makes sense to me haha.

Full Legalization is going to happen nationwide. All that will mean is that the Feds will reclassify MJ and allow states to do there own laws and regulations for it.

Tax monies aside...the States that will legalize it HAVE to establish a distribution network, meaning retail outlets.
It is a simple fact that most folks who smoke herb just want to buy a sack. They have no interest to grow at all.
You can argue all you want that they should just allow folks to grow their own, but that will only lead to black-market sales once again, and we are in the same boat as we are in now.
If they do not establish a way to distribute to the end user legally, we have gained nothing.
I am not saying to not allow folks who want to grow to do so, that's cool. I sure hope that will not be effected, but I am pretty sure it will, eventually.

You can brew your own beer. You can grow your own tobacco. Both legal and legalized

I sure hope so Mono. I am afraid they will restrict growing for folks.
Really, it will be decided by each State.
I know Colorado allows 6 plants, with only 3 flowering for recreational purposes. I am not sure what Washington will allow for recreational growing. I know Medical is treated different, but we are talking about full legalization like Wa and Co.
That will be for the minority that will want to grow. Most folks will be more then happy to walk into a store and buy herb.

Ill grow either way f um.... throw me in jail ill pop some seeds inside n use my rubbermaid for a rez. plenty of t5s and hids inside ;)

havent had **** on a shingle in a while...

Would full legalization mean you wouldn't need a medical card to grow?

trillions of atoms said:
Yes if its not commercialized like it prolly will be...
yeah i think that's what we're gonna get (if we don't start trying to push for full legalization, that is ;) ) ..decriminalized smoking and possession, but not cultivation.

canada IMO is starting down that path. they're trying to outlaw med grows here currently, and have a commercialized warehouse only setup. (likely going to be grandfathered in though, they want to stop everyone who's now carded from growing.. but that's gonna be a mess i think ;) )

i feel deeply that once that's all setup and running, then we'll decriminalize possession so they can make a boatload.

not a good system in my eyes; they thought small med growers selling was such a bad thing.. so now they let corrupt criminal enterprises have a monopoly on it.. great plan :rolleyes:

I appreciate everyone's input on this. there certainly is some grey area between legalization and decriminalization, but I believe there to be differences also. It's nice to here and share thoughts on the topic.
I honestly can't foresee what "full legalization" would look like if not a true and through, 100% decriminalization. The term legal(ization) means to me, that there shall be rules and penalties surrounding said issue. But in the end, there will always be laws to keep people safe from themselves..
time to :bongin:

i'm a veteran n go to the VA. they give pills for pain, axiety, arthritus, ,, in other words,, i take about 23 pills a day for pain,,, when i could b just using MJ.
instead of the government spending money on keeping MJ illegal,, they could b making more money , thts the way i look at things.
plus its crazy for one VA, to alow veteran to take it , when rest of the VA hosps don't let ya. we r a nation of one ,,not many it one state or hosp does it, they all should.:D

Latest posts

Back