Legislators think about taxing cannabis, fed and state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdisonH

Reaction score
The idea of a "pot tax" would have been impossible even a few years ago. Yet, some legislators are contemplating just that, on federal and state amounts. Article resource:

discover even more within

Weed taxes high

Increasingly more Americans are starting to support the idea of Marijuana for recreational use. It is already legal in 18 states and Washington D.C. for medical purposes, and Colorado and Washington have both legalized it for recreational purposes. Obviously, taxes are a big driving force.

More and more people want a pot tax started.

Colorado recommendations

Colorado legislators suggest that the weed should be heavily taxed if it is going to be lawful. This Amendment 64 Implementation Task Force has finally made its final suggestions for the regulation of weed.

The Denver Post indicates that the task force recommended three levels of taxes. Definitely there would be sales tax on the product, but it also wants to put in a 15 percent excise tax on wholesale purchases. Then there would be one more special tax around 25 percent on the local store level.

That is not just stems and seeds. But the voters will have to weigh in before any taxes are signed into law.

Tea tariff in Washington

On March 6, bill 59-38 passed in the state of Washington. It was started by Rep. Ruth Kagi who believed that education is the best way to keep kids from getting into legal trouble later in life. All taxes on cannabis will be going to early education, which she finds quite fitting.

Taxing it on a federal level

Another bill was proposed on a federal degree to increase taxes. The fundamental idea would contain making weed legal on a federal level and taxing wholesalers and others in the industry. This might be a great source of badly-needed revenue for the federal government. It might even help close the deficit gap.

Should all these tax bills and recommendations become law, smoking marijuana could become a wealthy man's diversion. Like many cigarette smokers in recent years, the heavy burden of taxation may drive some to clean living.

Sources

Spokesman Review
Time
Reason.com

"Burden of taxation might force people into clean living"…Not us!!!!!! Lol

IMO we gotta stop bringing up these positive points for pot (medical, tax) that we think will persuade our leaders to legalize it, and just straight out push for legalization (i mean really push)
it's not gonna go the way we'd like IMO.

medical (while don't get me wrong, i'm glad people can access it) was a huge disservice for marijuana in general.
taxing will be another.

we see in canada, they're taking control of medical pot away from users and growers.. and putting it into the hands of corporations (already got a good idea how price and quality it will be :( ;) )
..do you think them taxing it would be any different?
i'm pretty confident in thinking they'd want even more control.

neither are a road to complete legalization (if that's where you want to be)
both are a road to privatized corporate marijuana growing and harsher penalties for the regular joe home grower.

the push for full on legalization is now.. the next decade will decide the fate of marijuana IMO

I like Daniel Tosh's opinion on it.

"I think we need to legalize pot, mostly so the stoner's won't have anything to talk about anymore." :rofl:

:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back