Light leaks during veg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if light leaks can hurt your plants during veg or not. I understand that the plants are less sensitive to light leaks during the vegetative cycle than during flowering, but I'd try to eliminate the leak. For flowering you need to have total, complete darkness.

i do not worry about light leaks in veg,but i veg mine 24-7.then every 4-5 days i will give them 8 hrs of dark.never bothered mine.i personally think plants need a little dark period once in awhile.works for me

Just how sensitive are they during flowering?

BUDISGUD said:
VERY SENSITIVE,DO NOT ALLOW ANY LIGHT IN DARK PERIOD DURING FLOWERING :)
sorry for caps but it is that important :)

What will happen? Do they have to be pitch black? I mean stars make some light right....

and hermies reveal themselves if the stars are too bright.....if i am not mistaken, the light itself does not cause hermie-ing, but the stress caused by the interuption of the photoperiodic cycle may very well turn your girls into ru pauls..

st00ner said:
What will happen? Do they have to be pitch black? I mean stars make some light right....

Light leaks and irregular light cycles during flowering can cause hermies. It really is best to keep it absolutely dark with no light leaks. Starlight is not really very bright at all. And there really is a difference between growing inside and growing outside. Since our light intensity is never going to match that of the sun, we manipulate the environment to optimize everything else that we can.

hehe,kinda reminds me of a friend of mine.he called me one morning in the wee hrs whispering on the phone,wanting me to come pick him up.i went to get hima nd hes standing in some bushes on the side of the road with his pants in his hands.i'm laughing my arse off wondering what hes been into.he said the when the sun started peeking thru the blinds,he could tell that the cleanest part of the ol gal was the tit he had been suckin on,lol gotta love it.keep the light out.

Im gonna state for the record that you really should have no light leaks in flowering.

However, ha ha ha, i have a few light leaks and my plants are budding up nicely, but its no more light than a full moon would provide.

I think as far as the hermie thing goes, all marijuana strains are prone to being hermies as it is a last ditch effort to pollinate itself before the seasonal change. Erratic light schedules or interuptions would tell the plant "hey, your missing your chance to be pollinated" and the plant reacts asexually by producing pollen to fertilize itself to carry on. At least thats what im gathering, someone tell me if im wrong!

but yeah, my room is not totally pitch black, but the leaks i do have dont shine directly on the plants so they are none the wiser.

This is just a personal opinion, but IMO hermies are due to genetics. I have grown sativas in perfect conditions and they all hermie. I have grown my indicas and done everything wrong, even switching day cycles to night cycles, wrong times, LST, FIM and pinch tortures, and no sign of hermie in any of the originals or their clones. I'm not saying that one with a tendency to hermie wouldn't be encouraged by mistreatment, but I believe if you have sound genetics then hermies should never be a problem.

Latest posts

Back