Little caterpillars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Groovy

It’s good to be me
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with identifying these and maybe what I can do about them. They are kinda plentiful on my plant.

Hang loose and prosper
Uncle Groovy

Attachments

• IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Army cutworms from hatched out eggs of Miller moths

Monterey Bt with Spinosad is what we use early in the season when plant is about a foot tall

we spray about every 10 days or less until they go into flower

this is prevention and one must be diligent in spraying on a schedule

what can you do now?

i am guessing you are close to harvest?

if that is the case , about the only thing you can do is pick them off by hand

they bore onto the stems and eat the flowers and schitt all over the bud making it rotten brown

if it was earlier in flower , like the first week , I would use something like Pyganic

all the best

IMG_6372.jpeg
IMG_6371.jpeg
IMG_6370.jpeg
IMG_6369.jpeg
IMG_6368.jpeg
IMG_6367.jpeg

Army cutworms from hatched out eggs of Miller moths

Monterey Bt with Spinosad is what we use early in the season when plant is about a foot tall

we spray about every 10 days or less until they go into flower

this is prevention and one must be diligent in spraying on a schedule

what can you do now?

i am guessing you are close to harvest?

if that is the case , about the only thing you can do is pick them off by hand

they bore onto the stems and eat the flowers and schitt all over the bud making it rotten brown

if it was earlier in flower , like the first week , I would use something like Pyganic

all the best

View attachment 342774View attachment 342775View attachment 342776View attachment 342777View attachment 342778View attachment 342779
I have, thus far, given up on my veggie garden due to insects. It didn't seem to matter how I amended my soil or how I treated it; without putting poisons on it, I couldn't keep the insects off. I threw away a full season's worth of beautiful broccoli heads due to the dadgummed things.

I have, thus far, given up on my veggie garden due to insects. It didn't seem to matter how I amended my soil or how I treated it; without putting poisons on it, I couldn't keep the insects off. I threw away a full season's worth of beautiful broccoli heads due to the dadgummed things.

bummer man

Bt is safe and effective along with some other non poisonous bug killers

but yeah , we had bugs that decimated out squash and potatoes and that is because I was not diligent in spraying for them…..we had a lot of extra stuff on our plate and just could not keep up,with the veggie garden

I had them 2022 grow season used bt on the ones that were not flowering the ones that were almost ready I cut early. They only had 2 weeks to go.

Definitely army worms. Spent some time picking them out and knocking off some dead stuff. Not much damage and I think I can manage them darn pests manually.

Hey, it’s good to be me!
Uncle Groovy

Definitely army worms. Spent some time picking them out and knocking off some dead stuff. Not much damage and I think I can manage them darn pests manually.

Hey, it’s good to be me!
Uncle Groovy

we would look closely at the stems of the buds and looked for bulges

then took an exacto knife and opened the stem to expose the worm…then we picked it out with a sewing needle

they leave a distinct mark on the stem when they first bore into the stem so when we saw one of those bore holes , it was easy to follow the stem to the bud and find a little bump/bulge and then extract the worm

it was tedious , monotonous , and aggravating all at the same time

Latest posts

Back