Lumens vs Color temp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCre8or

Reaction score
Hi eveyone

I have (4) 2600 lumens CFL bulbs in a small 1.5ft x 1.5ft (46" tall) grow box. It currenty has 1 seedling in there, but I'm germinting two more seeds now. I hope to have at least 2 plants in their. All Jock Horror from Nirbana. There's enough room for (3) 2.5 gallon containers. They'll be LST'd to not grow too tall. I also picked up a couple of 1800 lumens CFLs.

When I went to add the 1800 lumens CFL's and I noticed they were a difffernt color than than my 2600 lumens CFL's. This is when first realized my brigher bulbs were red spectrum (I'm not sure, but perhaps in the 2700k region?) and my not as bright CFL Bulb's were 5500k (printed on the balast.)

I know that blue spectrum is better for veg. So my question is this; with only 3600 lumens of blue spectrum and 7800 lumens of red (i pulled the red in the middle right above the seedling and replaced with a blue, so there are only -3- red spectrum 2600 lumen bulbs in there right now) what can I expect from my veg state? Will I be better off removing the red completley, or fewer red? Will the higher output of the red spectrum compensate for the missing blue spectrum? SHould I get more blue spectrum ASAP? Will the red spectrum durring veg have adverse effects?

After a week the plant is only about 2 inches tall and has it's second set of ridged leaves.

I have been using the 2700k bulbs for my whole grow. I am not sure what effects they will have on yield because my previous grows were outdoors and this one i have topped 4 times and kept it real short. But anyways, just so you know i have been using them for veg and flower. I do believe you will have better veg growth if you use all 5000k though, but together they should work fine.

I've grown under both HPS and Flos. I prefer flos for veg. Mixed spectrum with a heavy side of cool or daylight white flos (5k+).
for flower hps all the way ;)

Latest posts

Back