Magnetism and plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hXXp://www.buzzle.com/articles/the-effect-of-magnetism-on-plant-growth.html

hXXp://www.magneticeast.com/agriculture/plant.html

hXXp://www.innovateus.net/science/what-are-wetting-agents

hXXp://www.birlacenter.com/taking-action/magnets-therapy/magnetized-water

hXXp://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/april/electric-current-plants-041310.html

if folks want to read the articles in full - I enjoyed a few of them........

but my over all take on magnetic's and plants

Magnetic fields interact with the structure of all living cells to cause changes to the processing of proteins, hormones and enzymes. The changes are caused by the effect the magnetic field has on the outer layer of a cell, which is a double layer of molecules with complex molecules sandwiched in this double layer. It is understood that some of these complex molecules serve as channels that help the transfer, across cell walls, of material. This is all at molecular level but each minuscule effect adds up. It seems that magnetic influence in the human body and in plants
is by two different physical effects, by directly affecting the alignment of molecules and by electro-magnetic induction within cell structures. Electromagnetic induction is the process by which electricity is generated when a magnet is moved within a coil of wire a small electric current is generated within that wire. The energy from the magnetic field causing vibration of electrons within the wire and this is electricity.

so to break it all down all living things on earth has to fall into this category
humans , plants all living tissue's have some form of creating energy and energy is Electricity

Cool info Dr....I will have to get some magnets and give magnetized water and nutrients a try.

Hamster Lewis said:
Cool info Dr....I will have to get some magnets and give magnetized water and nutrients a try.
That is awesome would be cool if a few members tried it at least on one plant and left another plant alone and post differences in overall growth / yield
I know it all sounds little crazy its not like a huge change in your grow or a huge expense to even try it

im gonna give it a go as well. uhh dumb question, where do i buy magnets? lol too high to google search it

DrFever said:
That is awesome would be cool if a few members tried it at least on one plant and left another plant alone and post differences in overall growth / yield
I know it all sounds little crazy its not like a huge change in your grow or a huge expense to even try it

I am a huge science nerd so this does not sound that crazy. Like you said, it's cheap so what has anyone got to lose?

ShOrTbUs said:
im gonna give it a go as well. uhh dumb question, where do i buy magnets? lol too high to google search it

I got these great magnets on Amazon for a pot rack I built and needed magnets for holding knives on it. I will go back and check what company they came from. I think they said they were the strongest magnets available and they were not that expensive. Let me look.

I dunno for magnets craigs list ????? use old speaker magnets ????? Walmart sell them in arts in craft section

These are the type of magnets I got from Amazon. They come in different shapes and sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Neodymium+Magnets

I have read somewhere,that magnets work for better fuel mileage too.

Magnets are great for holding up my Kid's pictures on the fridge too.

I'm Lost on how you are making this magnetized water! any pics or videos of this being done?

KP419 - its not an exact science. I think your supposed to literally put magnets around your reservoir. It might be worth a try! - but don't hold your breath.

Hay!!! I started to use the magnets under my gallon jug of water,and you can! call me nuts,but I see a big difference, wish I took a picture when I first started.I will try to post some of my lady's.

zem i take it ????? You don;t think magnetic water will make a difference

Here is a simple test might change your mind magnetic water Vs non magnetic water
with non magnetic water mist a plant what you will find is tear droplets on leafs
Now with magnetic water?? mist plants and to your amazement there is no water droplets pretty simple really less tension= better leaf penetration
aerodynamics in cars same concept which cars would you think is better for gas mileage and performance 1969 impala or a 2013 impala
look at fighter jets from the 60 - 70 and the new Generation fighter ?????
Who would ever think that some old school grower growing his ways for many years , can;t compete to the new generation grower that has all the bells and whistles.
I am happy that there are a few willing to give it a try using magnetized water
and really looking forward to there updated pictures

Growdude said:
Here is someone elses take on Magnetized water.
hxxp://www.chem1.com/CQ/magwatscams.html

Now if you do believe look down a bit and hes got links to alot of products that might be cool to you.

here is a copy n paste

Being rather skeptical about this, I decided to give it a try.

I used Cow Magnets.

I selected the cow magnets because they are really strong and compact. These are long capsule shaped magnets fed to cows when a farmer suspects the cow has eaten a metallic object. The magnet is strong enough to attract the metallic object in the cow's stomach and pass it through the digestive system. No more sick cow.

The cow magnets cost $5.00 a piece. I purchased 3 of them.

I put the magnets in the bottom of the tray that contained my test seedling cups. I watered the seedlings from the bottom. The magnets were immersed in the water tray, so the water was exposed to the magnets.

When I transplanted the test tomato seedlings to my garden I “planted” the magnets parallel to my row of tomato seedlings. Like this:

~ = tomato plant
| = cow magnet

~|~
~|~
~|~
~|~
~|~
~|~
~|~

I used soaker hoses in the garden, so the water dripping into the soil on my test area was exposed to the magnets.

I grew two normal rows of tomatoes, without magnets, so a comparison could be made.

I took pictures periodically to record the plant growth.

I grew 3 varieties of tomatoes, intermixed in my rows.
San Marzano
Mortgage Lifter
Italian Genovese
My experiment was cut short due to early freezing temps. 50% of my tomato crop was wiped out by frost & snow. In other words I had oodles of green tomatoes hanging on my plants waiting to get ripe. Bummer.
Germination
I could not see any difference in germination times between the magnetized seeds and non-magnetized seeds.

Seedling Stage
Magnetized seedlings were a bit larger and sturdier.

Growth Stage
The Magnetized plants grew bigger/taller.

Spring

Summer

Late Summer

The magnetized plants were the first to produce ripe fruits.

Harvest Stage
Magnetized plants had larger tomatoes, but the quantity of fruits was about the same as the non-magnetized plants. There were only a few green tomatoes that got wiped out by the cold weather on the magnetized tomato plants, because most had already been harvested. The non-magnetized plants still had several green tomatoes on them waiting to ripen when they got frosted.

Garden Cleanup Stage
The magnetized plant roots had lots more roots and root hairs than the non-magnetized plants.

Would I use magnets again?
Yes, just because the tomatoes on the magnetized plants ripened earlier. This is an important factor, because the summer growing cycle in northern Wisconsin is short.

The research I did on google about the affect of magnets on plant growth varied, so I guess you’ll need to draw you own conclusions. And my experiement wasn't exact science either. Still it was fun to try something new and zany in my garden.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experimented with magnets and plants.

"Why is it no matter how to plant a seed the roots will always GO DOWN why is that ??? could it be magnetism in the earths core ?????"

-----------------------
Could it be Gravity?

------------------------

put seeds on a plate and watch the roots curl around when they germ.

-------------------
homediggity, about the fuel mileage thing with magnets that myth has been busted.

just like the magnetic bracelets that improve balance.....

LMAO @ norcalhal

Looking at the plants where is the HUGE DRASTIC difference>? I dont see any donkey dicks anywhere??

If this myth were to pay off i would guess that hydro would be the best way to prove whatever theory has been stated.... DWC prolly would work better than in an ebb and flow ....maybe an aero- magnet grow>?

sorry but i cant imagine any drastic difference other than the growth rate increase from switching from soil to hydro.... THAT is what Im sold on and would recommend it to you.

Latest posts

Back