MH vs HPS - The winner is....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BBfan...

I'm STILL loving this thread. Solid info, bro! :aok: You've inspired me to try something new for the rest of this run... I'm going to swap out my Hortilux 1K HPS and my SolarMax Dual Arc 1K bulb weekly in hopes of giving the girls the benefits of the increased lumens some weeks and a wider spectrum every other week. If this goes well I may pick up a 1K MH bulb too and rotate all three next time around. It's a slight P I T A having to remove my ventilation from the cool tube but if it helps I'm up for a little effort...

Is the Happy Frog working out okay for you? I tried a bag not long ago with some seedlings and had MAJOR burn going on... Maybe I got a bag that was whacked... All I gave them was H2O and they took weeks to grow out of the funk after I transplanted them into some FFOF/LW... I still have 2/3 of a bag and I'm afraid to use it... lol... I think I'll put it in my flower pots on my patio next year...

Thanks again for the thread... FUN stuff!

Peace!:cool:

pcduck said:
Nice test. But I was wondering what the spacing is between the internodes and is their a difference between the two?
I've seen yall reference the "spacing between internodes" before. What is that all about.

Have you considered getting a dual lamp hood and running a MH & HPS? Has anyone tried this?

TexasMonster said:
I've seen yall reference the "spacing between internodes" before. What is that all about.

Hi TexasMonster!

"Internodes" actually refers to the space between the nodes (where the new growth comes off the stem). Tighter spacing between the nodes will develop much denser buds, so it is considered a good indication of how well your plant will produce, or has the capacity to produce.

Hope this helps.

I add a product called biotone
I use the Espoma Bio-tone starter plus. I love the stuff :D I haven't used the holly tone or other stuff yet...might try some plant tone tho. Seen some people really like it about. I make a hot soil mix and just have some basic teas i use to jam things up at the end or fix def. Don't let stoney see you post about mollassas :p (I use it myself...makes them microbeasties jump all over ;)
Grow on and thanks :aok:

Hey BBFan, have you ever thought about any of the duel filament bulbs? I've been using the Hortilux Super Blue and it has been working well.

This thread has me thinking I might benefit more from a normal HPS and just leave the super blue for veg.

Mutt said:
I use the Espoma Bio-tone starter plus. I love the stuff :D I haven't used the holly tone or other stuff yet...might try some plant tone tho. Seen some people really like it about. I make a hot soil mix and just have some basic teas i use to jam things up at the end or fix def. Don't let stoney see you post about mollassas :p (I use it myself...makes them microbeasties jump all over ;)
Grow on and thanks :aok:

Hey Mutt- that's the same stuff I use. Actually my first time using it, but plants have responded well. As far as Stoney goes, even he has to admit that molasses is good for the microbial action in the soil.

I usually germ in MiracleGro potting mix and have never had a problem- till this grow- plants got burnt pretty good. I ended up throwing them all out except one- took 10 clones off her and used them for this grow/test. It's the only non organic stuff I use- but I won't be using it again:holysheep: .

Take care.

pcduck said:
Nice test. But I was wondering what the spacing is between the internodes and is their a difference between the two?

Hey Duck- Good question. Thanks.

I just measured both and they're both running anywhere from 3/4" to 1 1/4" spacing between nodes. So no real difference I can see. But then again, the mom I got the clones from was vegged under a 400w MH Sunmaster Cool Deluxe, and then the clones were hardened off under the same bulb.

The big difference I immediately saw was the size of the fan leaves- they were probably 50 - 75% larger under the HPS after 2 weeks in veg.

BBFan said:
Hi TexasMonster!

"Internodes" actually refers to the space between the nodes (where the new growth comes off the stem). Tighter spacing between the nodes will develop much denser buds, so it is considered a good indication of how well your plant will produce, or has the capacity to produce.

Hope this helps.

Thank You

BBFan, I love to see when people tinker with ideas they have...thanks for sacrificing a part of your grow so that everyone can learn a thing or two. I may have missed it, but how long are you into 12/12?

I observed that if I veg under MH and then start 12/12 for a week or two (still on MH) by the time it gets to the HPS, the big stretch has already slowed down and my buds seem more compact. In cases where I moved from MH to HPS and then flipped at the same time, they seemed to get more stretchy. It's like a trigger goes off around week 2-3.

PeterPotatoes said:
Hey BBFan, have you ever thought about any of the duel filament bulbs? I've been using the Hortilux Super Blue and it has been working well.

This thread has me thinking I might benefit more from a normal HPS and just leave the super blue for veg.

Hi PeterPotatoes! Great name! :p

I'm a huge fan of MH- I just think it puts out more usable spectrum for photosynthesis on both an action and absorbtion level. And being closer to the blue spectrum (than hps)- the added benefit of some UVB.

But I'm also a big believer that more lumens is better lumens. I used to grow outdoors (and just look at grows like that of 420Benny or TCBud)- and indoors just can't compare.

I have a small space and push over 8000 lumens per square foot at about 7" above my canopy- and it's still not enough. I had to lose my side lighting cause the girls got too big :shocked:

That's an awesome bulb you're using- and if I could squeeze it into my space, I surely would. Happy Growing! :cool:

just found this BB:) ...nice comparison test man. this is how i am running my current grow- i vegged for 4-5 weeks under a 250mh, and 3-42w soft white, and 3-42w daylight cfls'. the internode spacing is within the 3/4 to 1.5 inch spacing.:) ...

i flipped at 5 weeks, cut off the 250mh, and turned on the 400hps for 1 week 12/12. thats where i'm at now. i'm into the stretch on 7 strains. in 1 week flower, most have stretched around 1 foot, with minimul internode spacing...

looking back a week, i wish i would have run the 250, and 400 togeather to the end...

i think i can still gain by turning on the 250 again tomorrow, and leave it thru the rest of stretch, approx. 2-2.5 weeks more. what is your input on this?...good thread BB...Irish...

Hey Irish-

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm at about 5 weeks since I switched, and the buds that were initially flowered with the mh are much denser than the hps buds. The hps have been filling in nicely, but still no where near the rock hard buds that came from the mh.

If you're interested, I'll put up a few pics later showing the difference between the two. Let me know.

Thanks again, bro!
-BBFan

Thanks for all the info you've provided with your experiment. Very interesting discussion from all. I love learning stuff:)

Latest posts

Back