Monsanto’s Genetically Engineered Roundup Ready Alfalfa Has Gone Wild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe420Camel

friendly stranger
Reaction score
:mad:

http://ecowatch.com/2016/01/21/gmo-alfalfa-gone-wild/

A recent study by U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists shows that genetically engineered (GE) alfalfa has gone wild, in a big way, in alfalfa-growing parts of the West. This feral GE alfalfa may help explain a number of transgenic contamination episodes over the past few years that have cost American alfalfa growers and exporters millions of dollars in lost revenue. And it also exposes the failure of USDA’s “coexistence” policy for GE and traditional crops.

The USDA has long maintained that GE crops can co-exist with traditional and organic agriculture. According to this “co-existence” narrative, if neighboring GE and traditional farmers just sort things out among themselves and follow “best management practices,” transgenes will be confined to GE crops and the fields where they are planted.

The latest evidence refuting USDA’s co-existence fairytale comes from a recently published study by a team of USDA scientists. The study involved Monsanto′s Roundup Ready alfalfa, which, like most GE crops in the U.S. is engineered to survive direct spraying with Roundup, Monsanto’s flagship herbicide.

:48:

There is no way that I can say enough bad about Monsanto. I dare say that Monsanto and its GMOs will get us before climate change does. What an evil company.

it's too bad the worlds so corrupt, or this would likely shut them down.

it's odd, i was thinking about this the other day; it's weird how as people, we're pretty great overall: sharing and caring.
..but man our society sucks.

baffling how that works.

The following information is not the opinion of channel Hackerman or it's affiliates. Channel Hackerman simply offers opponents the opportunity to respond to public allegations made against them. With that in mind, we offer the following information.

Back in 1970, Monsanto chemist John Franz invented a herbicide called glyphosate. In the half-century that has since passed, the substance has been heralded as a "once-in-a-century herbicide," leading to substantially higher crop yields without damaging the environment. Scrutiny over the years has revealed the herbicide to be less acutely toxic than Tylenol and to degrade quickly in the soil. In order for farmers to make full use of the herbicide, Monsanto engineered strains of various crops to be immune to glyphosate. Now, American farmers average 160 bushels of corn per acre each year, up from 109.5 in 1979.

Monsanto has also been key to the development of golden rice, a genetically modified strain which provides a significant amount of Vitamin A per serving. Vitamin A deficiency plagues many parts of the developing world, resulting in as many as one million deaths and 500,000 cases of irreversible blindness annually. If widely planted, golden rice could very well abate this tragedy.

Monsanto's noble efforts have garnered the adoration of numerous, notable do-gooders, including philanthropist Bill Gates and agricultural scientist Norman Borlaug, the Nobel Peace Prize winner whose dwarf wheat revolutionized agriculture, saving an estimated one billion lives from starvation. Before he died in 2009, Borlaug extolled Monsanto's use of genetic modification, believing science to be the best hope for feeding a growing world population.

Bibli.. http://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2013/05/15/monsanto_more_saint_than_sinner_106533.html

I dont use MG anymore because i am an Organic gardner,,,but i will say this,,if we stopped using products Made or Produced by companies screwing up the planet and not giving a **** about ppl,,,,we would not be able to drive our cars,,,eat,,,drink,,take medicines,warm or cool our homes,,,and on and on.... So i cant just pick one big company screwing **** up,,,and shoot them the finger whilst i use all the other asshats products and services. If someone offered me a bag of MG im going to take it and use it on my flowers or whatever,,but i wouldnt say no just because they suck like most large companies.Does BP ring a bell??? And did you stop using gas that they drilled? What about companies making plastic bottles that are polluting our waters and planet? You stop using plastic?
I also believe we must evolve with the conditions of the earth and its population,,so i dont have a problem with All GMO products. They are a needed for some plants ,,,,just like we have to have new antibiotics and medicines to fight new viruses that are killing us.
Dont be mad at me THG,,,you know Weedhopper has much love and respect for you Mam.

Just want to add that 88% of womens sanitary napkins have glyphosate as well as infant formula and feeding tubes.

Just want to add that 88% of womens sanitary napkins have glyphosate as well as infant formula and feeding tubes.

???? Really? glyphosate is the generic name for Roundup.

Why would it be in women's sanitary napkins???

So no bugs are on the sanitary napkins? Lol
Just playen. Glad i dont need those. Ouch

The ends do not justify the means. If they poison the earth and its people, there will be no one to feed...

No, we cannot stay away from everything that is poisoning the earth, but IMO, Monsanto is the worst and I do my best to stay away from their products. I do have problems with GMOs. We simply do not know enough about them and what they can do. I believe that this alfalfa episode will be repeated again and again. Any species can become invasive if you cannot control it.

I need clarification about what GMO means ?--Any time U breed a plant U are geneticly modifying the plant ! If by GMO U are referring to adding genes from one plant or animal and putting it into another plant or animal then that I understand !-- Would polyploid MJ be considered GMO ? It is 100% weed ! I'm after a tetraploid called U.B.C. Chemo ! I may have to make my own tetras for breeding! -- A normal ant is a diploid or (2n) seed can be treated to tetras (4n) --- Monsanto and big pharm want pot they can plant in huge fields --all female -no seed ! This lies at feminized (5n) true sensimillia ! -- Big Pharm ain't the only one knows how to get there ! If anyone wants to jump me about G.M.O. weed --I hang at the O.F.C. and don't get out as much as I should ! I'm gonna get myself a Frankenplant that'll make U high just looking at it !

We are all GMOs....its called Evolution...lol
And nobody can be screwing **** up on this planet more then BP/OIL COMPANIES.
Guess everybody has forgotten about the Gulf,, Exxon Valdez,,and all the others.
All that minning is destroying and poisoning our waters and our atmosphere, ,,go figure.

hate the definition defense..
breeding is not genetically modifying IMO (and shouldn't be called GMO.. or we need to term the real GMO something else)
breeding is very different than scientifically inserting cells from one organism into another completely different one. (can a tomato and a fish breed? no. then why insert fish genes into a tomato?)
it's stupid that it's even under the same definition.

GMO itself wouldn't be bad if we were doing things to make food healthier, and for the betterment of human kind.
..but they don't.. it's to prolong shelf life and to allow them to heap on large amounts of pesticides and herbicides to kill everything non-GMO.
basically; everything for greed, nothing for good.

but i think i'm likely preaching to the choir.

.. as for oil spills? yeah no doubt we suck.. but mother nature could atleast eventually clean herself up of them.
if we screw up the food web? yeah, likely no coming back from that one.
:)

hate the definition defense..
breeding is not genetically modifying IMO (and shouldn't be called GMO.. or we need to term the real GMO something else)
breeding is very different than scientifically inserting cells from one organism into another completely different one. (can a tomato and a fish breed? no. then why insert fish genes into a tomato?)
it's stupid that it's even under the same definition.

GMO itself wouldn't be bad if we were doing things to make food healthier, and for the betterment of human kind.
..but they don't.. it's to prolong shelf life and to allow them to heap on large amounts of pesticides and herbicides to kill everything non-GMO.
basically; everything for greed, nothing for good.

but i think i'm likely preaching to the choir.

.. as for oil spills? yeah no doubt we suck.. but mother nature could at least eventually clean herself up of them.
if we screw up the food web? yeah, likely no coming back from that one.
:)

Kao has it. By current definition, they are both called GM but a new definition, brought on by increasing research and technology will be coming soon, I'm sure.

I'm not 100% on this but from what I have read it breaks down to the difference between breeding to increase or decrease certain characteristics of the genetic line.

Versus, actually adding or eliminating a characteristic of the line at the molecular level. I believe there are several current methods of doing this with more (no doubt) on the way.

As it has always been with emerging knowledge.... It's not the new technology or new product that is bad but rather, the way that knowledge is utilized.

Good posting Hackerman.
Everything has good and bad to deal with. I believe in evolving and moving on. GMO is just one of many new technologies we need and will continue to get better at.
I embrace new technologies. I am alive today because of medical science and technologies that continue to get better. As a matter of fact,i would bet alot of us owe our lives to such things.

I embrace new technology, too. But we are talking about altering the genes without really knowing what the consequences will be, like "Alfalfa gone wild". I read that 80% of GMO seeds are to combat the effects of herbicides (i.e. Roundup). What a great scam. Poison the earth with Roundup and then create seeds that will grow in the poison earth. What exactly are they using to genetically alter the seeds so they grow in Roundup poisoned earth? This is far far different than selective breeding.

Latest posts

Back