Murphy's Law Grow (Every mistake you can make)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MootPointBlank

Murphy's Law Incarnate
Reaction score
After catching myself rambling in one-too-many threads about my problems, I realized it was time to concentrate this therapeutic form of expression into a journal where I can be vulnerable before my peers and accept their criticisms and praise. Here is the story of one man and his quest for enlightenment.

MPB

Not sure where this is going. The reason I like to hang out here is the people are cool and you can learn from everyone's successes and failures. Great grow environment; good seed (ideas), good nutrients (information), good medium (stealth internet communication), good light (positive energy of every shade in the spectrum and every nation on earth).

I don't mean to get all existential on you but this is the place to be and you're a valuable component of this community. Chin up and grow up...weed that is.:p

Mr.Greengenes

This is a great site, I feel like I'm at home when I'm here. Well, I am at home...but you know what I mean.

It all started my freshman year of college. I had never smoked, was too straight-laced and feared the ills, the stigma, the consequences of exposure to psychotropic substances. My girlfriend of three-and-a-half years went to an out of state college and it wasn't but one semester before distance and a change in circumstances found the faults and fissures in the foundation of our relationship.
My roommate and I had known each other from childhood and graduated together. She, a flower child and free spirit herself, made no reservations of moral superiority about enjoying the fruits of the earth and had been a smoker for some time.
As fate would have it, I, in a state of emotional flux, threw caution to the wind one night when she and a friend of hers were smoking and was coaxed into trying it for myself. Perched upon the porch of our third-story apartment we passed the little, metal pipe among us and attempted to inhale a new reality, less lonely and sad.
Nothing happened. I was simultaneously relieved of my fears of what may happen and dismayed that nothing did. Me, being the persevering type, was not satisfied and neither were they. It was time to call on heavier artillery. I was whisked away to the apartment of another cohort and made the acquaintance of one "Cactus Jack", a water pipe of exceptional abilities.
One, or two, ice water rip(s) later found me catatonically exploring the bounds of hyper-reality and wondering if there really was something viscous running down my scalp. My scalp was, in fact, dry and before me lay a new frontier of personal experience.
It wasn't until a couple of years later when we moved into a house that I began experimenting with cultivation. Those were the days of OverGrow and superstealth systems. All failed, more or less. I only ever had one harvest out of that period and it got you high, but tasted "herby". Three years after graduation I find myself in the perfect situation to start again and little reason not to.

MPB

MPB, you'll find all the help you can use, here on MP.

Lots of people growing in nasty ole dirt, and lots of us hydro growers as well.

If you decide on Hydro, my best advice to you is to build your system PRIOR to even starting your seeds.

That will allow you to tear it back down and do it right a few times without freaking out about "My seedlings are ready!"

It's very, very important to get your grow area perfect, before you attempt to grow in it. Bounce every single thing about it, off the members here and you'll find the mistakes BEFORE they ruin your crop.

Then, after a test week of running your system without plants, you'll find the other ten things that don't work right.

Then, after the grow area is set, all the bugs worked out and it's running as it should be, you can start your seeds after discussing it with all the growers here. They'll keep you from wasting your seeds and time.

If this is done correctly, your first crop can be a perfect one. The people who have followed this advice here, have harvested world class weed on their first try.

Those who wish to learn-as-they-go, have dried out, burnt up, misjudged, over-watered, over-nuted, and run their ph to the moon and back. Then they say "Well, this was a learning crop".

If you take your time and apply the most important part of growing, (patience), to your setup and grow, you'll be successful on your first try and won't have to waste an entire grow trying to learn the hard way.

Good luck to you, and please feel free to PM me if you have a question you can't find an answer to.

Stoney.

Knowing the dangers involved in the quest I was about to embark upon, I made security paramount in the design of my newest facility. Even in deciding to try this again I had to overcome great anxiety and at every stage of procurement and construction, faced new fears. If there is ever one endeavor in my life that I have pursued relentlessly for the love of the perfection of its art, it is the cultivation of this plant. With that, I have overcome.
The problem that plagued me throughout my early attempts at growing, living in a tropical climate, was heat. What to do with all that heat from the lights and an A/C system that struggled to cool that crappy little house to begin with. I ended up with all sorts of designs in various attempts to solve this issue, but always the heat would win.
Initially, I had this idea that I could build a growbox out of a commercial grade freezer that came into my possession. But the thing turned out to be a piece of crap and I canned the idea pretty quickly. After a lengthy design period I came up with a design for a cabinet having a veg and a flower chamber, 2'Wx2'Dx5'H each, that would use two HID fixtures and a dual ventilation system for the fixtures and the grow chamber. The inside of the box is painted in a brilliantly white and durable roof paint that resembles pudding in its wet state. The first issue I ran into was that the cooltubes and the ducting I wanted to use wouldn't fit in the box which had already been maximized for the space. So, I canned the cooltubes and went with open reflectors, figuring that I could increase the ventilation system capacity to compensate.
The ventilation system consists of a two speed 428/293cfm, high static pressure, squirrel cage type blower fan housed in a double walled custom air handler box that has 3/4 inch of playsand filling the space between the two walls. The fan pulls air from the room through the box and then exhausts it into the attic. I was hoping that I had overcompensated enough to accommodate for whatever heat the fixtures would put out.
The fixtures I went with were two Lumatek 240V 400W digital ballasts. After I brought power to the space to run the two units, I plugged them in to see what they would do. Light, glorious, bright, HOT, flippin' light is what they did. Never have I worked with so much light and so much heat before. I almost instantly knew I was screwed by the heat issue again. But I sallied forth with my plan, as the box was already built and there wasn't much else to be done about it.
(Fast forward to the heat trials) The lights are installed, the ventilation system is running, the doors are on, the thermometers are thermomitoring. Ambient temp outside the box is 78F, veg (MH) comes to ~93F and flower (HPS) comes to ~98F. Oh, sh*t. I climbed in, just to see what it felt like. Growing up in a tropical climate, spending summers at the beach and getting into cars after skipping barefoot across 9000deg pavement makes it feel mild in comparison when you have cool air circulating past you and temps are only in the nineties with low relative humidity. Unfortunately, the plants aren't as hardy as I.
I realized that I needed to create at least the mock sensation of having a vented fixture, reflect some of that IR away from the usable growing space and try to salvage my design. I had a local glass shop cut two "shelves" for me that would separate the fixture from the rest of the grow space and installed them just under the fixtures. I left a gap all around the edge of the glass and the interior walls of the box for air to pick up the heat and carry it out. The air comes into the box from filtered openings on the sides of the box and then into light traps before entering at the bottom outer sides of the inside of the box. It comes in the bottom and goes out the top.
This helped a little bit, but not enough. I found this stuff called Energy Film that is transparent but blocks thermal energy in the form of IR and UV light (I know what you're thinking but if you don't see it yet, I'll tell you soon). Great, wonderful, here's my answer. Initial tests showed that the temps were reduced by 10F (veg) and 15F (flower), respectively. This is great because the seeds I started a while ago have outgrown the dual T8 fixture they've been sitting under on my work bench. I continue to let both lights run to see what prolonged exposure will do to the film. The film on the veg side is still functioning fine, but the glass on the flower side shattered under the thermal load. Luckily nothing was in there when it happened. I called another glass shop and had two new tempered "shelves" made and tried again. No shattering, but as I'll explain, it doesn't matter.
This next part requires me to take a few steps back and describe how I got to this point with the plants. I knew it would be a bad idea to experience my learning curve with storebought genetics, so I secured some bagseed and started the germination process. I could tell you some of the stupid sh*t I did here, but I don't think it's as important as the rest so I'm going to start post-germ.
Six little lovelies I had in little (2.5") clay pots. They grew pretty well to begin with, though spindly. Then they started to die. The forums had me repot them (duh!) into 8" pots using a good, natural (no more MG) mix with lots of aeration amendments. They did better for a while but went back to a sickly zombie state of losing leaves of yellow and brown blotches. I still really have no idea what's wrong with them other than it could be some sort of pH issue, though the runoff pH's just fine. Anyway I found one male (Arthur), who ironically performed the best out of all, and placed him into flower alone to harvest pollen since he had such nice genes. When his load was spent, I clipped and dried him and had a funeral pyre in the back yard. He was a good boy (no I didn't try to smoke him, though I thought about it).
From the girls I took two cuttings each before throwing them into flower and left their fate in the hands of the gods. The cuttings, I dipped in Olivia's rooting gel and placed them in soaked rockwool plugs in a heated humidity dome. I did not pH the rockwool plugs as I should have. I should have taken smaller cuttings as it seems the smaller ones rooted more easily. I will still use rockwool in the future but I have an idea for a micro-DWC for clones that I want to try. One of the main things that I have learned about cloning is that oxygenated water is paramount to successful rooting. After the humidity dome staggered along for a while and roots threatened to never form, three finally showed roots convincingly enough to attempt putting them in the primary hydro setup. One died and the other six were jammed into a clear glass beer bottle filled with a mild nute solution and an airstone and left under my bench fluoro. Just take a guess at who started blasting roots almost immediately.
The res is a dark blue 10gal rubbermaid tub that just fits in the growbox. I didn't know that there was such a thing as plastic bin primer so I did it the hard way and scored the surfaces of the tub and painted them first with two coats of flat black paint and then two coats of the same white paint that I used on the grow box. It works pretty well. I even gave a coat of black to to the inside of the lid for good measure (remember this detail). Instead of buying net pots I fashioned my own out of 2"pvc, hose clamps and that web material used to keep rugs and floor mats from sliding on hard floors. These I filled with rinsed hydroton and topped with my rooted clone in rockwool and slid the whole assembly into cutouts in the lid of the DWC. Originally I had planned on using a Burp and Gurgle setup but decided that all that tubing work was going to suck to put together.

Okay, my eyes are starting to cross. I'll pick this up again soon.

Later,
MPB

StoneyBud said:
MPB, you'll find all the help you can use, here on MP.

Lots of people growing in nasty ole dirt, and lots of us hydro growers as well.

If you decide on Hydro, my best advice to you is to build your system PRIOR to even starting your seeds.

That will allow you to tear it back down and do it right a few times without freaking out about "My seedlings are ready!"

It's very, very important to get your grow area perfect, before you attempt to grow in it. Bounce every single thing about it, off the members here and you'll find the mistakes BEFORE they ruin your crop.

Then, after a test week of running your system without plants, you'll find the other ten things that don't work right.

Then, after the grow area is set, all the bugs worked out and it's running as it should be, you can start your seeds after discussing it with all the growers here. They'll keep you from wasting your seeds and time.

If this is done correctly, your first crop can be a perfect one. The people who have followed this advice here, have harvested world class weed on their first try.

Those who wish to learn-as-they-go, have dried out, burnt up, misjudged, over-watered, over-nuted, and run their ph to the moon and back. Then they say "Well, this was a learning crop".

If you take your time and apply the most important part of growing, (patience), to your setup and grow, you'll be successful on your first try and won't have to waste an entire grow trying to learn the hard way.

Good luck to you, and please feel free to PM me if you have a question you can't find an answer to.

Stoney.

Oh Stoney, if only I had met you many months ago. I believe, as you will read, that I have successfully done every one of those mistakes and then some and have most definitely made this, "My learning grow". Thanks for the support, I look forward to your input.

MPB

I've been sitting here for at least ten minutes contemplating where to begin describing the problems that arose at this point. I suppose I'll start with foam, and not the kind in nightclubs that results in naked horny girls. This is the foam that appeared in my res after mixing four gallons of BMO (Blue Mountain Organics) nutes to 50% spec and pH'ing. I had read from others that this was normal to a certain degree, but this foam didn't look right to me. It had a soapy appearance, rather than organic, and didn't have a discernible odor. I had thoroughly cleaned the res before adding anything, so the probability of of any sort of unwelcome residue was unlikely. I cleaned the res again and changed the nutes after several days to see if it was just that batch. Nope, still foamy, but we'll come back to that.
The other, more pertinent, issue that I was having was a pH that would drift rapidly to almost seven in a 24hr period, no matter how often I adjusted back down. I'm still under the impression that the pond and aquarium pH Down that I bought at the pet store (based off of sulfuric acid) is highly unstable for this application, but the General Hydro. kit that I ordered hasn't arrived yet, so the jury's still out. Regardless, I could shock the pH down (very bad, don't do this) to the fours and the next day it would be right back up again. The poor clones have, amazingly, survived all of this insanity.
The clones in the glass bottle were doing very well and there was not one hint of foam so the only conclusion was that there is some material in the res causing this reaction. I went back through my materials to find the culprit and the only thing left was the paint on the underside of the res lid. I found the can and read all of the fine print on the label and found that this paint contains a mildewcide. Mildewcide? My research on mildewcide revealed that certain ones have their effect by leaching a high pH chemical into the surface it is applied to so mold and mildew cannot grow. Fannntastic, I'm such a tard. Bought new lids, changed nutes, no foam, pH still drifting up. F**k. There can't be anything in PVC to affect pH, can there? My research is inconclusive here, so if anyone knows something...
What do flowering ladies need to stimulate resin production? UV light. What does Energy Film block 97% of? It didn't occur to me that this would be the result, obviously, or else I wouldn't have done it. The film was working quite well for a few weeks before it failed and wasn't able to handle the thermal intensity. The region nearest the bulb turned black and fell away from the glass. I was contemplating moving the shelf further away from the bulb and reapplying the film when I read the label again and it dawned on me, also after reading some article on experimental lighting techniques, that they weren't producing resin/trichomes because they didn't need to. Here's the conundrum, no E-Film means too much heat, with E-Film means no sticky bud. The solution became the total loss of the flowering side of the growbox. I adapted the HPS fixture to a hight-adjustable 2x4 in my office and now all my efforts at growbox stealthiness are out the flippin' window. The room is light-proofed and the flowering side is going to be adapted to a drying chamber and odor scrubber, but still, it sucks. I'll be moving the veg HID fixture onto the same 2x4 as the other so I can flower under 800W and the veg chamber of the box will need to be retrofit with fluoros (got any ideas?).
My new HID setup in the office needs to be somewhat partitioned with a reflective material as it is exposed on three sides. I'm thinking Panda Film or Mylar stretched over a PVC frame that I can easily move.

Next time I'll discuss some of my preliminary trials with the Canna Aqua nutes and the progress I've seen on all fronts. I hope that you'll all take some time to comment on what I've written, any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
MPB

hah look up my posts man. i have at least 10 of these omg wth clusterfork threads. just bumps on the road.

Latest posts

Back