Mylar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
What types of stores would a guy find mylar at? Craft stores?

Online websites/ebay/local hydro shops.... poly is easy to get... any home improvement place will have it.. but mylar is less common

If you have a craft store in your town, they should carry it.

Good luck to you.

If anyone has a dollar general store where you live they sell this plastic metallic(color) wrapping paper for $1 and I swear this stuff is the closest thing to mylar i've seen.

bombbudpuffa said:
If anyone has a dollar general store where you live they sell this plastic metallic(color) wrapping paper for $1 and I swear this stuff is the closest thing to mylar i've seen.

Yeah it is used for balloons and wrapping paper... worth the value for a grow cabinet imo... but not tough enough for a big room.

Crazy Horse, Mylar is very expensive for what you get. I have lined my grow cubes with 1/2 inch R-TECH Inslfoam obtained at Home Depot. It comes in 4x8 sheets, blue on one side, white with blue lettering on the other side. The white side reflects light very well and has excellent insulation qualities for holding Co2 and odors in the cubes. It is very easy to cut to size, I paid about five dollars per sheet.:)

Thanks alot for the replies fellas. I found some at a florists shop. But I am going to check out that R-TECH insulation too.

dontknowmuch, I would not use anything thats paper based as you could run into a mold problem which would not be good. I tell ya, if you want to get trick use mirrors as they kickarse with very little heat buildup, downside, expensive. I have one of the ends of my cubes lined with a mirror I got from Home Depot for 40 bucks and the grow along that side is just as good as the top!:)

tugboat said:
dontknowmuch, I would not use anything thats paper based as you could run into a mold problem which would not be good. I tell ya, if you want to get trick use mirrors as they kickarse with very little heat buildup, downside, expensive. I have one of the ends of my cubes lined with a mirror I got from Home Depot for 40 bucks and the grow along that side is just as good as the top!:)

dontknowmuch - dont use mirrors... they absorb light, not reflect it and is worse then plain drywall (gypsum, gyprock). Plain (non gloss) flat white paint is what u want... if not.. then white poly... or the hands down best, mylar.

Yah the problem is that the mylar I found at the local flower shop is 52 bones for a roll. I am on a tight budget

dontknowmuch said:
Yah the problem is that the mylar I found at the local flower shop is 52 bones for a roll. I am on a tight budget

Man, thas dirt cheap.. I wish I could get it for that cheap up here... poly is the cheapest here... at $85/roll

KADE said:
dontknowmuch - dont use mirrors... they absorb light, not reflect it and is worse then plain drywall (gypsum, gyprock). Plain (non gloss) flat white paint is what u want... if not.. then white poly... or the hands down best, mylar.

Yeh, use cheap *** mirrors and you might be right, I have the end of one of my cubes lined with a HIGH QUALITY mirror from Home Depot and the growth on that side is AWESOME, TOP TO BOTTOM!!! the reflection is very intense. If you can find white poly it works good too...very spendy though. Flat white paint works good, I have used Kill-z with good results. Remember, there is more than one way to succeed at this game! to each his own...

tugboat said:
Yeh, use cheap *** mirrors and you might be right, I have the end of one of my cubes lined with a HIGH QUALITY mirror from Home Depot and the growth on that side is AWESOME, TOP TO BOTTOM!!! the reflection is very intense. If you can find white poly it works good too...very spendy though. Flat white paint works good, I have used Kill-z with good results. Remember, there is more than one way to succeed at this game! to each his own...
Actually, flat pure white paint outperforms mirrors by 30% on tests. Mirrors will work of course, but not as well as flat white paint. Mylar has the highest ratings for reflectivity.

Somewhere on this site, I posted a chart that listed the various reflective properties of different materials. I'll see if I can find it. If anyone else finds it, please PM me a link or just post it into this thread.

Stoney Bud said:
Actually, flat pure white paint outperforms mirrors by 30% on tests. Mirrors will work of course, but not as well as flat white paint. Mylar has the highest ratings for reflectivity.

:yay: Someone that knows the facts! noice!

I have been using this for my flowers until I get some mylar .

Dollar store car sun reflector :eek:

Just when you thought you had seen it all ! IM001193.JPG

Hey.... Whatever works. Mylar is very costly here aswell. Good luck finding it for less then $75/roll where i live.

"Space blankets" or "Survival blankets" in the sporting goods section.

Hick said:
"Space blankets" or "Survival blankets" in the sporting goods section.

I had that bright idea once... they work.. but a lot of them are so thin u can see through them.

Latest posts

Back