New Law for Ca.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Of the 964 bills that made it to the governor’s desk in 2007, 750 were signed into law.

Before you ring in the new year, it’s important to take a look at some of the newest state laws relating to motorists, minimum wage earners and minors, according to Sean Comey, spokesman for the Automobile Club of Northern California.

“You don’t want flashing lights in your rear view mirror to be your first clue that rules have changed,” Comey said.

Starting Jan. 1, tobacco smokers might want to think twice before lighting up in their vehicle.

A new law, going into effect in 2008, prohibits both drivers and passengers from smoking in a motor vehicle where minors are present.

Porterville CHP Public Affairs Officer David Gosvener said this particular infraction is a secondary violation and officers cannot initiate a vehicle stop based exclusively on this violation.

However, if a driver is pulled over on an unrelated violation, smoking a pipe, cigar or cigarette in a car with minors then becomes punishable by a fine not exceeding $100.

Another new law, directed at frequent cell phones users, will not go into effect for another six months.

Starting July 1, motorists over the age of 18 years are prohibited from using wireless telephones while driving unless a hands-free device is used.

Gosvener advised cell phone users to take action now to prevent finding themselves on the receiving end of a ticket after July.

“CHP encourages motorists to start developing good habits now by using an ear piece or other hands-free wireless equipment,” Gosvener said. “Violating this law is punishable by a base fine of $20 for the first offense and $50 for each subsequent offense.”

Even if equipped with a hands-free device, those under the age of 18 will be prohibited from driving a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone or mobile service device.

The new regulation does not apply in emergency situations such as calls to law enforcement, medical personnel or the fire department.

“The goal is to reduce the distractions that prevent people from giving full concentration to operating a motor vehicle,” Gosvener said.

Perhaps the most significant piece of legislation for 2008 is one that was approved by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2006.

AB 1835 increased the state minimum wage in 2007 and, starting Jan. 1, increases the minimum wage once more to $8 an hour.

More new laws effective Jan. 1

-- Name Equality Act of 2007 — AB 102. This act makes it easier for one or both parties in a domestic partnership to change their names. Co-sponsored by the American Civil Liberties Union and Equality California, the law allows one party or both parties to a marriage or registered domestic partnership to change their surname by entering the new surname on either a marriage license application or certificate of registered domestic partnership.

-- Changes to temporary disability — AB 338. The law changes how temporary disability is paid to injured workers. Under current law, an injured worker can receive 104 weeks of disability benefits which must be paid within 104 weeks of the first date that temporary disability is paid. This change removes the requirement that temporary disability be collected within two years of the first date that disability is paid. Instead, injured workers are eligible for 104 weeks of temporary disability as long as those benefits are paid within five years of the date of injury.

-- Increased penalties for underage drinking — AB 1658. This bill increases penalties for underage drinking and the manufacturing of fraudulent identification cards. AB 1658 enhances current law restricting access to alcohol for minors by increasing the fine to $250 for the first violation and $500 for the second violation. In addition, this bill targets those who manufacture and sell fake identification cards and driver’s licenses by increasing the penalty from $500 to $1,000 and requiring 24 hours of community service.

-- Traffic violations adjudication. Prohibits the courts from dismissing serious traffic violations through completion of a traffic violator school program or any other court-approved program for safe driving. Violations such as driving under the influence, hit and run, or reckless driving will no longer be dismissed through completion of traffic violator school or any other court-approved program of driving safety.

-- License plate coating. Prohibits the use or sale of a spray coating product that impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device, such as a red-light camera.

New military spouse leave law already in effect

Schwarzenegger signed AB 392 earlier this fall, which requires employers with 25 or more employees to give qualified employees as many as 10 unpaid days off when their spouse is on leave from military deployment.

This law became effective in October and applies to an employee working more than 20 hours per week whose spouse is an active-duty member of the Armed Forces, National Guard or Reserves who has been deployed during a period of military conflict.

Ok does this mean for smokin my weed tooo ?
It not a cig but a REALLY GOOD CIG..:D
Just watch urself when driving !!!

Next the gov is going to say we can't smoke in our house with our kids around..
Just More FUNNY Laws..

Better buy charmin to wipe it a new LAW! LOL

That no smoking in your car with minors is ridiculous!!!!!!

I don't smoke anymore, but still.

SmokinMom said:
That no smoking in your car with minors is ridiculous!!!!!!

I don't smoke anymore, but still.

Just how many time has a kid ask to roll down the window or ask if one can put it away !

I know my grand kids has told me that before and so The Window get Rolled down.. Enless it Rainning

I think if the law would pushed something to be Illegal then way don't the law start ticketing people for Spitting on the side walk and that a law around here.
The country has SOOOOOOOOOOOO many Ridiculous law from the get go anyway but don't do anything about those Ridiculous Laws..

More and more I am beginning to think that we need another revolution in this country. The government is so bloated and arrogant and out of control that they actually think it's OK to tell a parent how to raise their children.

Does Arnold know more about raising a child than me? I seriously doubt it. I'll put my 2 up against his brood any day of the week.

Im down for a revolutuion-

im just waiting for a draft so i have an excuse to flee to canada. ;) lol

this police state is reaching its climax..and as the economy crashes downward, so does the working class grow wildely forward....soon we wont take it anymore

and the really messed up part about it, is that the more laws we create and enact, the more money is given to enforce...

A strong insentive to continue making pointless, senseless laws :/

one day it will all change and we the people wont be the ones on the cutting edge of the saber

We have so many laws Now that if it was FORCED we would all be Ticketed..

Latest posts

Back