New to Growing Had A Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelbysBaby

Reaction score
I'm new to growing, I have a female plant that is about 5 weeks old now.
The plant was on 22/2 lights for about 4 weeks and now flowering for 1 week
I am running them on 12/12 now with 4 CFL's 3 2700K and 1 6400K
The lights are hanging about 4 inches from the top and I got 1 on the side
I water them about once every 2 days and they are in miracle grow soil
It's suppose to feed them for up to 6 months
I have alluminum on the side to get light to the bottom of the plant
The plant is about 2 foot tall now and is showing alot of preflower
My concern is that it's tall, but there isn't may leaves on it, the leaves that
Are growing outta the bigger leaves are very small, and I don't see any bud.
Also the stalk of my plant has a VERY nasty smell, not like weed but nasty
Is this normal? And to everything that I have put, does everything sound like I'm doing a good job? Or should I change anything? I don't have alot of money so I'm trying to work with what I got, thanks.

Here's a link to the video of my plant's video, I don't have time to take a pic but here's the vid of it.hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb7bEcbXZTw

Your biggest problem is you dont have enough light.
Thats why they are tall with no leaves, (stretched)

Not sure about the nasty smell.

No live links, my friend, most here won't click that vid! Please change the "http" to "hXXp"...

Growdude has that right, you need much more light! Aluminum foil isn't good to use, heat is the problem mainly, but wrinkled foil doesn't reflect as good as flat white paint! Soil....Miracle Grow is great for flowers and vegetables...not MJ, the stuff's too "hot"...

You say it vegged for 4 weeks....does the stem show alternating nodes (leaf sprouts start at the same level at first and then start to stagger when becoming sexually mature)...if not, this will cause more stretch while the plant makes up it's mind. Do you know if it's a she?

When vegging, 24 hour light is a great way to go, less stretch! Good luck, my friend!

when you water your plant make sure there is atleast 2 or 3 inch of dry soil from the top of your pot down i have smelled root rot before its pretty bad jmo dont over water can rot your roots and cause an odour... as for MG soil i used it once and never again. in my opinion MG soil i for people who are lazy and want to put no time in for the garden juts wanna plant and water rearly MG soils are designed to make it easy to grow flowers and vegtables jmo.... i always use an organic mix of soil with no harsh fertz nutes or food and do it all myself... i am also using cfls but have many more then u......i'll post a pic or two fr you

Not enough light and too far away.
Foil does not reflect light well.
MG prenuted soil is a poor soil to use--to hot and you have no control over feeding.
A bad smell is often root rot. You need to have good drainage in your pots and let them dry out between waterings.
Do you have any ventilation? Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air.

So these are the different styles of CFL's that i use. the small one i use for side light and grow keep it low on the plant. the second size up is also for side growth/light kept about half way up the plant i use four of each of those lights = 8 in total.... the next two large size's i use for all the top light.
xs cfl.... 13 watt 900 lumens 4
small cfl.... 100 watt 1250 lumens 4
large cfl.... 200 watt 2250 lumens 4
xl cfl.... 300 watt 4200 lumens 4
all together i use 16 bulbs might be over doing it but its workin amazing for me....

keep your lights about 2 inchs away from your plants at all times, keep an eye on them and raise your lights ever 2 or 3 days to keep your baby growing higher.... use lots of air flow and fans, keep them on your lights so they stay cool and dont burn your plant but like the other post u dont have enough light...
used foil before and white paint is the best as a reflector

hope this helps
Happy Growing

100_1342.jpg

100_1341.jpg

100_1344.jpg

Or, if you can afford and have the space, a better option is to buy an HPS set-up to meet your growing needs...both now and if you plant to continue. Match the light size to the size of the room and make sure to properly ventilate as THG said...plus, a fan blowing on the gals to give stem strength.

Those cfl's are not the best option for budding....

MrBobMarleyJr said:
xs cfl.... 13 watt 900 lumens 4
small cfl.... 100 watt 1250 lumens 4
large cfl.... 200 watt 2250 lumens 4
xl cfl.... 300 watt 4200 lumens 4
all together i use 16 bulbs might be over doing it but its workin amazing for me....

"100 watt equivalent" 26 watt 1250 lumens
"300 watt equivalent" 68 watt 4200 L
;)

some ppl cant afford hps set-up or afford the time talk to police either........ JMO

Buying a light doesn't automatically include a visit by the police and one can pick up an HPS for very cheap if they look around. I believe I saw a 250HPS for $50 or so recently....but trying to go from memory! There's a thread in the light section, I believe!

I never said cfl's weren't an option, I just said they weren't the best....one should look at ALL options when deciding to plop down $$$

The Hemp Goddess said:
Not enough light and too far away.
Foil does not reflect light well.
MG prenuted soil is a poor soil to use--to hot and you have no control over feeding.
A bad smell is often root rot. You need to have good drainage in your pots and let them dry out between waterings.
Do you have any ventilation? Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air.

Just to help you with some solution's to the mentioned problems.

1) HPS rule if you cant upgrade follow the cfl guys advise.

2) Try to get a bag of cheap soil promix is what I use.

3) drill some holes in the bottom of the pot and get a feel for how much it weighs when it is completely dry and right after you water. When you water water slow and water until the pot leaks out the bottom.

4) Rule of thumb is to swap the air out 3 times a minute.

Latest posts

Back