newbie and lumens???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drambouie

Reaction score
i have 2' by 3' and use a 150whps at 14k lumens and have (6) 4' eco lux floros that are 1900 lumes apiece. so around 25k lumens. the floros are said to be for plants and aquariums, have rich in blues n reds with far-red radiation??? is this good enough for 6sq feet or are the floros just a waste?? 150watts and 6 times 40 is 390watts total

well im new to this two but have had done ALOT of research over the past few weeks.. from what ive learned flouros seem to work really well for the first few weeks of growing because they are closer to the blue side of the spectrum. and although i believe they can be used through an entire grow that its more beneficial to use HPS (more blue spectrum) for flowering. I currently have 3 plants under two 42 watt cfl's and 1 125w plant bulb.... to answer ur question i think the more light the better but plant and aquarium lights can cause ur plant to become very tall and skinny... i hope this helps

drambouie said:
i have 2' by 3' and use a 150whps at 14k lumens and have (6) 4' eco lux floros that are 1900 lumes apiece. so around 25k lumens. the floros are said to be for plants and aquariums, have rich in blues n reds with far-red radiation??? is this good enough for 6sq feet or are the floros just a waste?? 150watts and 6 times 40 is 390watts total
The formula you need to go by is; a minimum of 3,000 lumens per/sq ft of plant canopy. 6,000 will max them out.

It's that easy.

Your area is 6 square feet. That's 6 x 3,000 = 18 thousand lumens minimum, or 6 x 6,000 = 36 thousand lumens needed for maximum growth.

Flo's work good for vegging, but HPS will make your flowering be worth all the effort.

Good luck man!

r the eco lux plant and aquarium light even worth it?? they say they r righer in reds and blues for flowering but cost 7 bucks.....?

i also heard 3K lumens is what a plant uses efficiently unless u enrich with co2??? what do u think?

im just hopin the 150 w hps and 240 w of floros all together for flowering will gimme some good ganja to chief on

ne wayz thanks alot for the replies, i really apreciate it . it helps out

the problem with mixing flouros and hid lighting is that the flouro "need" to be close, within inches in order to benefit the plants substantially. Placeing them close enough often blocks the more benificial hid.
Stoney is right on the money..."3000 L/per sq ft" is minimum, not maximum.
Plant and aquarium lights are sldom worth the extra cost..IMHO

what if you got tubes and mount them on the side with mh on top? is that ok?

ive got 3 floro ballast with 2 tubes in each on the walls with a 150 watt hps in the middle of room beamin down

i wonder if you could use cfl bulbs, although the are generaly made to dispearse light all around them.

but i wonder if you used more of a spot light or flood light type of CFL where it would be a more dirrected source of light it would help be able to penatrate better. i know with my cfls you cant have them near as close as with a tube flouro, mine are about 7 inches away from the CFL (2600 lumens) thats dirrectly above it, and the top leaves show no signs of having to reach for the light source.

you could set up a three or four light track light setup on each four side of the plant spotlighted on different area of the plant that might be shadowed by upper leaves from the overhead lights. i am guessing it couldnt hurt. :)

r01999v29.jpg

r01986v29.jpg

i was thinkin of usin the floros for vegging to bout 6" then getting either another 150hps or just gettin a 400 watthps, what the hey.....i just need the money

the side with the 150 hps the plants r monsters, thats half the room

2 would b great or 1 400w would b great

i just dont wanna wait....

Latest posts

Back