Ohio Is Having Trouble Finding Producers for Cannabis Edibles Market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From Forbes

Ohio Is Having Trouble Finding Producers for Cannabis Edibles Market
pot-kitchen.jpg

Mike Adams Contributor

It appears Ohio is having some difficulty scrounging up enough reputable cannabis companies to produce a variety of pot products for the state’s medical marijuana program. The Ohio Department of Commerce recently issued its first round of processor licenses, approving only 7 out of 104 applicants. The state says the majority of the businesses interested in producing marijuana–infused oils and treats did not meet the minimum requirements. So now, it’s back to drawing board.

This means there are still several opportunities for stand-up cannabis operations to get in on the ground floor of the Buckeye bud scene. The state is permitted to grant 40 processor licenses during the initial round. The approved processors will be responsible for manufacturing and distributing cannabis-infused brownies, creams, patches and other non smokable forms of the herb to local dispensaries.

Reports indicate it is possible that six more applicants could be given the green light if their background and tax checks come back clean. Some of the failed applicants will also be given another chance to re-apply.

This licensing snag is just another in a cluster of missed opportunities. Ohio’s medical marijuana program has been struggling to get off the ground since voters slapped it with their seal of approval in November 2016. One cannabis entrepreneur even threatened to take legal action against the state last year for dragging its feet on the licensing process. But, even with the potential for lawsuits, the situation did not improve.

Just two months ago, state officials confirmed that the medical marijuana program would not be launched at the beginning of September like it was supposed to be. Incidentally, this is the cutoff for when the law mandates the program be “fully operational.”

Cannabis cultivators are blamed for the delay. As of June, only one of the approved grow operations was ready for inspection, according to Mark Hamlin, senior policy adviser for the Commerce Department.

Still, there is no word yet on how much the Commerce Department’s latest licensing debacle will set the program back. The seven approved cannabis processors -- Ohio Grown Therapies, LLC; Fire Rock Processing Ltd; Ohio Green Grow LLC; Greenleaf Therapeutics, LLC; Grow Ohio Pharmaceuticals, LLC; Standard Farms Ohio LLC; and Corsa Verde LLC -- have all been issued provisional licenses. They now have six months to build their facilities and pass the state’s health and safety standards before they can be cleared for an operating license. This means while it is possible that medical marijuana patients might be able to get their hands on plant forms of the medicine for vaping purposes by fall, it could be early 2019 before they are able to purchase edibles and topicals.

It is easy to see why the Ohio cannabis industry is so frustrated with the state’s lag and drag. The application fee for both standalone and vertically integrated operations is $10,000 plus an extra $90,000 operation fee. These licenses must be renewed every year at a rate of $100,000.

Perhaps the state should consider waiving the renewal fee for the first year to help industry participants recoup some loss. After all, the state stands to rake in an estimated $23 million in taxes.

Ohio has yet to publish a new launch date for the program.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikead...ers-for-cannabis-edibles-market/#121f6bd5641a

As with all news... so much of that is incorrect. I Love this...

"Ohio’s medical marijuana program has been struggling to get off the ground since voters slapped it with their seal of approval in November 2016"

Ohio did not VOTE for this. It was shoved down our throat by our state gov. without a vote.

I got tired of waiting on OHIO, so I made my own Medical Marijuana program. lol It started back in 2009. :)

There was a medical marijuana petition that was gathering signatures in 2016. It was suspended after the state legislature allowed medical marijuana.

You should write Mike Adams and correct him.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeadams/#284dd16b3970

Is there not a shortage of edible producers in Ohio?

I am curious about the other lies in this story.

Mike Adams writes mostly about cannabis issues. I believe he is a freelance writer. I have posted his stories many times here.

Now I wonder about his credibility.

It's not really the writer's credibility or fault. He's doing nothing more than rebleating what someone told him. He obviously does not do research himself. If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you don't blame the monkey. He is just a tool being used (like most news outlets) to spread misinformation. This is why I don't do news. It's almost always wrong or, at least, one sided.

If you want to really understand what's going on you have to actually read facts, not opinions. Then, based upon those facts, you need to correlate your own hypothesis. Unfortunately, that takes way more effort than most people are willing to put forth in today's world. Or, they are just too stupid to correlate data (AKA thinking). Watching the TV news is so much easier. And, you can pick your news channel and believe that they tell all truth while the 'other' news channel is all lies. LMAO. I always love when I hear that argument.

Read the Ohio rules and regulations for cannabis. Our fees are the highest in the world. And, the rules are the most ridiculous in the entire cannabis community. It''s $200,000.00 PER YEAR for the 25k license to grow in Ohio. The license for edibles is $100,000.00 PER YEAR. No one wants to have anything to do with it. Well, no one credible. So, they get all the rejects applying. All the people that failed everywhere else. No one who is any good at it is going to do it here when they can do the same thing way easier and way cheaper in any other state. It's all about profit and Ohio made sure there was no profit for anyone but them. Here is another good example.... Ohio law, even though it legalizes cannabis for medical use, the law says you are not allowed to smoke it. LMAO Vape or edibles only.

And, doncha wanna know why? LMAO One of the women on the board had a son who died from cancer and DIDN'T smoke cigarettes. SO, this woman blames every single smoker in the world for MURDERING HER CHILD. So, no smoking in Ohio. She was also instrumental in stopping cigarette smoking in bars in Ohio. ***!!! No smoking in a bar??? That's like going to a whorehouse and not being able to ****. LOL Ohio sux so bad.

Plus, we are the industrial waste, left behind after this area was the richest in the world. The politicians here are the most crooked anywhere. And, they are so used to stealing anything they want because there was always so much available to steal. Now that manufacturing is dead in this country, so is the great Midwest manufacturing community.

So, if you are not a friend of someone on the cannabis board...... you ain't gettin' no license. LOL

They tried to get the colleges to get involved with the testing and processing and the schools told them to shove it.

It's a total cluster **** and is never going to get better.

As for the petition that was around in 2016... the news and the gov totally sabotaged the effort by claiming it was a monopoly (and, it wasn't) and spead hate mongers all over to tell everyone how bad the RO issue was. Then, when the vote came, we were ahead 2:1 in favor. Yet, in the end they told us we lost with twice as many votes going NO. LMAO What a bunch of ******* liars. I doubt they even counted the votes..... how would we know.

Then, 30 days after the RO issue "failed", the Ohio gov put their own mmj program into effect. This is the result... LMAO

I can't wait to get out of here. I am voting with my feet.

what he said^^^ I can't believe everyone fell for the "fake" news about the MMJ that was on the ballot in what was it, 2014??? Lots of people voted it down cause they heard one thing or another and didn't do their homework. Ohio saw that and knew they needed to get their grubby little hands in there. Now, yeah , it's an absolute mess. If I had the cash I might try to get a license, but I don't know how much of your profit Ohio would take. And that's a yearly thing too, the 100,000 dollars thing. And you can't smoke a joint...their whole mmj program is a joke.

[RANT]

Something else wonderful about Ohio that I am just finding out..... we have the highest property taxes IN THE WORLD.

I know that sounds ridiculous but I really think it's true. It was sparked by my cousin in Italy telling me about her living expenses. She lives in Naples (like New York City) and her house is 1.4 million Euros (about 1.6 m dollars). Her property taxes are $500 PER YEAR. !!!!!!

Some of you may know I am moving to Cali and I am looking at houses and.... well, property taxes.

Where I live the property taxes on a $300k home are between 4k and 6k per year. San Fransisco for the same price house.... $1500 per year. LA County... even less. Manhattan, about $1800 per year. Paris, Rome, Madrid.... all less than Ohio. It got me looking (Zillow) at property taxes and comparing and I got so depressed. LMAO. I hate it here so much and I am paying more to be here than any of the places I actually WANT to be. LMAO

Life, it seems, is not without it's sense of irony.

Unbelievable.

[/RANT]

Latest posts

Back