Only indoor 6500K CFL during vegetative growth or can I mix in some sun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldfogey8, I insulted no one, only in your head. YOU on the other hand are insulting. Look in the mirror. Away with you.

I started out doing 2 plants in a 3x3 tent using CFL. Downfall is you will need alot of bulbs in flower to get a decent yield. I made a hood with cfl fixtures and ran 8 42w 2700k for flower. It got the job done but was barely pulling a oz per plant with 3/4ft plants. Looking back if I had went with a 400w hps I would of easily doubled my yield. Not having to worry about the heat is nice though. Lol

One plant. CFL for growth and LED for flowering is all I can do at this point. I'm using aluminum foil as reflective material. I'm not hoping for a big harvest. This is just for fun and I'll start a new plant when this one is done. I've been into horticulture all my life so this is a new adventure. And, BTW, I lost my connections to buy the stuff.

Last edited:
Miss Stinky...

Thank you for reminding me about 'valuable experience'.
I'm getting a lot of that lately.

Mold, scale, and getting my clones accustomed to dry air.
I was thinking the other day that if I have many more problems to solve
I'll be a genius before long.

Scale is the worst problem I've had lately.
I nuked the living plants and will start cleaning everything else in the morning.
Setting plants outside to take advantage of 'free sun' caused the scale problem.
Cleaning the house and ordering new seeds, then a rest period while I clean the area.
If scale can live 'for weeks' with no food, how long would intake to starve them all to death? One month? Two, three???
I'll start seeds but it may take a month before I get my next disability check.
Two weeks till they come and before I have plants which would attract the attention of the scale, it may be another month, 2.5 months...
starved to death yet???
But as you said eggs... eggs can lay around a long time.
I'll vacuum every day too.
All the soil in the house thrown out.
A bag of brand new soil I planted the scale covered plants in and ,
pulled 5 plants with scale from, in the trash too.

Miss one scale bug, and I'll have to go through this all over again.
Its true... I'm getting 'valuable experience', expensive too!

Thank you...

Poet...

I totally forgot to mention scale. If you have any sago palms in your yard or in your neighbor's yard this is a real threat in your area. Scale infest 75 percent of these plants in florida.
outdoor-sago-400x267.jpg

There ya go then bud...if it's just for fun then you'll get a little something to smoke out of your work;)

Give them decent soil with room to grow, feed them nutrients, and as much light as you can and they'll do there thing. It's called weed for a reason :)

What everybody is saying here is right.
However your question was can you successfully share sun and cfl light. I did and it worked fine.
I DID however have to keep spraying Dr. Zymes every few days to keep bugs and such away and I have a separate room I rolled them into at night. Not my grow room so I didn't introduce anything into my grow room.

I like the idea of free light. I'd love a small greenhouse. Some clear ripstop plastic on a small stud frame would be a reasonable price. Or a skylight in a stinky attic.

I'm pricing a shed with an enclosed grow area. Just thinking because I need a larger shed anyway

Last edited:
Maybe a shed where you replace the rear or south (depending on if security concerns political name light maximization for you) section of roof and upper wall sheathing with polycarbonate sheets- stealth greenhouse/shed hybrid. If you can orient it so there's no light pollution from streetlights, security lights, or nearby windows, and set it up so a roof section can be cracked open for ventilation, probably with electric fans, it's something I've seen people do with veggies so even if you can't make it work for pot you can always grow some killer tomatoes out of season lol

There ya go then bud...if it's just for fun then you'll get a little something to smoke out of your work;)

Give them decent soil with room to grow, feed them nutrients, and as much light as you can and they'll do there thing. It's called weed for a reason :)

I'm going organic. compost, peat moss, pearlite, vemiculite, batt guano

What everybody is saying here is right.
However your question was can you successfully share sun and cfl light. I did and it worked fine.
I DID however have to keep spraying Dr. Zymes every few days to keep bugs and such away and I have a separate room I rolled them into at night. Not my grow room so I didn't introduce anything into my grow room.

Thanks for the tip on Dr.Zymes. They're sending me 2 free trial bottles of concentrate FREE. I pay shipping, $7.00.

Latest posts

Back