Preventing a root ball

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realise it seems like a rather redundant question, originally I was thinking that I could simply remove it with a pair of (sharp) garden sheers. With that thought though it hit me....I would definately would be making a huge mistake (risking the possiblity of a herm).

So my question to you all is this. Can I prevent a root ball by using a (mostly) soiless mix of sterilized (which I could do myself) gravel w/compost/castings). The ratio (g/c/c) would be something like 50/30/20.

...........................anddddd yes I realise pearlite/vermeculite are usually used, (I was guessing) gravel would be cheaper to start out with right????

Thanks all,

BW

and... using gravel?... ummm... when you buy soil in the store... does it come with ROCKS in it?... no... question answered.

buy some perilite... it's cheaper than soil. it was like $17CND for 80 litres (approx 20 Gal fer my american buddies :rolleyes: ...)... CHEAP

I guess I said it wrong.......I don't intend to have a plant with no roots....what i meant was to have a planter filled with the most oxygen, nutes and food.....all in one pot for a soil grow.....I am just trying to figure this crap out before I go in all guns a' blazin here alright....

i'll just pick up some vermeculite and be done with it.

Thanks,

BW

hey bud... don't get yer panties in a knot :rolleyes: :D :cool:

it sounds like you want to set yourself up in hydro... not soil. before you go dive'n in... have a look at the resources on different methods of growing... spend several hours and read a bunch. you will be able to answer all your own questions yerself, probably.

I can almost guarantee you a certain level of failure, or lack of quality if you go jumping in at this point... not tryna be cocky 'er noth'n here... just tryna save you the agrivation. it doesn't sound like you know a whole lot about growing :)

oh ya, buddy...

I recommend you go for the perilite over the vermiculite. perilite is more specifically engineered to growing pot... trust me :cool: .

The root-ball will be your plant's stabilizer. - Gotta have one.

Maybe you want to know how to keep it from becoming root-bound? - Simply, get a bigger pot to put the growing plant in, and check into the different kinds of soil that may be best for your baby/ies...Good luck.:cool:

Rocks will make it impossible to control your PH and PPM's as they will constantly be leaching minerals into your soil.

Latest posts

Back