Quick Light Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdman

Reaction score
Hi

Just into week 3 of my new grow and my plants are doing great, I started the seeds on Flouros for 24/7 for a week and then transplanted them to 6inch Diam puts and moved to a 1000 watt Super HPS (Hotilux Enhanced Spectrum Super HPS) at 18/6.

Everything is going well but I just wanted to take a preemptive measure and check with the forum on distance - Iam keping the light about 16`to 18`from the top of the plants, is this OK? PRetty hot light - and Im running a fan to keep the air circulating.

Also - is ideal room temp 80 degrees?

Thanks

:bong1:

I dont use HPS ( yet ) but i have heard a rule of thumb is to stick the backside of your hand at the top level of the plants . If it is too hot for your hand chances are it is too hot for your plants .also i see that everyone keeps the distance between 18" - 24" away from the top of the cannopy . those lights are bright and will penetrate the cannopy so they dont need to be too close . i am sure someone with more knowledge will pop in and help you out further . good luck with your grow . PEACE:D

16-18 inches is pretty close. I'd watch them closely for heat damage.

75 degrees F is perfect for a grow room. 80 is even alright if your root zone temp is at 72-75F. The root zone temp is more important. It should be kept at 72-75F.

Thanks alot - what is a sign of heat damage? it doesnt feel to hot but Im going to keep a close eye.

tkdman said:
Thanks alot - what is a sign of heat damage? it doesnt feel to hot but Im going to keep a close eye.

The plant will stop growing. The tips will turn brown and get crispy. Yellowing of the leaves.

I use a 400w HPS and 18 inches is the closest I get with vents and all. If you are using 1000w bulb you should go smtn like 22in. Here is a chart that was very helpfull to me. cheers!

lightdistancechart.jpg

Latest posts

Back