Sick Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchMasterPuff

Reaction score
A friend gave me one of his clones that he received from someone i transplanted it into a 3 gallon bag with fox farm ocean forest soil. Problem is their was yellowing on the leaves when i got it only a little on a lower leaf now it looks like a lot more. I watered the soil in the pot i transplanted it to but did not water the dirt attached to the plant i misted the top soil around the plant with ph balanced distilled water. I just gave it a little more water today its been 4 days since its been transplanted. I don't know what kind of soil it was originally planted in or if it was given any nutes. Plant is about 10 inches from top of plant to 250 watt metal halide in a space a little less than 4sq ft. Should i raise the light? Temps are from 79-83F. There is also a little browning around the yellow spots u can kind of see it in the second picture. Could it be Magnesium deficiency?

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

First off, looks like its way overwatered. That being said it could just have really weak stems and leaves from a potassium deficiency, which would also explain the yellow spots one the leaves. I'm betting it's a bit of both. If I were you I would pull up the plant and get rid of that soil around its roots from your friend, who knows whats up with it. You don't want your grow contaminated with something you know nothin about, ya know? Anyways, rinse all that old dirt off its roots and treat it to a repotting in that FF soil.

I don't know about it being over watered the soil it was in was almost if not completely dry and i didn't give it much water at least i think i didn't. If i rinsed the soil off i would have to do it in a dark place to not harm the roots? idk it seems kinda dangerous to be uprooting it in its weak state i don't want to put it in anymore stress its only been transplanted since early Sunday morning.

Just gently remove it anyway. The plant is already sick, it might continue to get sicker otherwise. Turn the bag upside down and tap on it until it slides out.

Go ahead and rinse away the old soil, and don't worry about the light hitting the roots, because the process should be fairly quick.

You do as blancolighter, and I bet the plant will come back healthy in a week or two.

When transplanting water the plant to be transplanted, then transplant it. After transplanting, water again. That way, the flow of water from the roots up through the stems, and up out the leaves as vapor is not interrupted.

PS.

I've seen much sicker plants than yours. It doesn't look all that bad to me.

get rid of all the dirt? or just enough to make sure i got rid of the original dirt?

Ok, the plantst drooping real bad so I'm thinking a few things

Did you let it dry out so bad it started drooping, then you watered it and thats when you took the picture? If so, please wait a little bit untill the leaves get the water back in them and perk up again and THEN take the photos, it will help in the plants diagnosis.

If thats not the case, then you may have been over watering it day to day or the soil it came in has odd waterholding properties to cause the drooping.

Lastly it could be drooping from the potassium deficiency, which we already know it has from the yellow and dead spots on the leaves (stems can also appear red, looks like this fits too), so it needs some nutes.

The reason I suggested you wash off that old dirt because it will give you uniform water holding properties, it will get rid of any variables left from the last grower, like the soils ph could be way off, bugs... You have a nute def, so washing of the new soil and putting the roots right in the middle of fresh ph blanced soil will let them absorb their nutes right away. Now I don't mean yank it out. I mean geantly digging around the whole root mass and lifting it out, not tearing any roots. You might have to empty the whole pot to do this, digging around wont work without damaging roots if they get too big. After the plant is out of the pot, gently wash the dirt off the roots. Now you can replant them in fresh soil that the roots can immediately have full access to. All this can be done very delicately, and personally, I'd rather put them through that then keep them soil they cam in on em.

haha, looks like i type slow,. Don't get rid of all the dirt, just the dirt in its rootball, the dirt that it came with, get rid of all that.

just dug it up and rinsed all the dirt attached to the roots got almost all off except some pearlite that was tangled in the roots. I hope it doesn't die but if it does o well its not my only plant.

oh i see u said it might need some nutes all i have is fox farm big bloom, grow big, and tiger bloom. i have not given any plants nutes because the other three are seedlings planted in FFOF and i've read that u shouldn't feed in the ocean forest soil for the first three weeks cause there is already plenty in it.

u guys are awesome i swear i noticed a difference within 7 hours of replanting or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but i will post some new pics maybe later on today to compare. The leaves seem to be standing up more now.

Latest posts

Back