Sickening News: Tallahassee Police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuggles

I was there...he inhaled
Reaction score
blog.norml.org/2008/07/25/abc-news-tonight-the-tragic-death-of-rachel-hoffman-and-the-tragedy-that-is-pot-prohibition/

I saw this story last night and it makes me sick to my stomach. Enough is enough

ABC News:
After being caught twice with a “baggie” of marijuana, 23-year old Rachel Hoffman was reportedly told by police in Tallahassee, Florida that she would go to prison for four years unless she became an undercover informant.

The young woman, a recent graduate of Florida State University, was murdered during a botched sting operation two months ago.

Her case will be profiled Friday on 20/20.

“The idea of waging a war on drugs is to protect people and here it seems like we’re putting people in harm’s way,” said Lance Block, a lawyer hired by Rachel’s parents.

The Florida Attorney General’s office says it is reviewing the procedures and protocol of the Tallahassee police.Rachel’s case also has raised new questions about state and federal laws related to marijuana possession.

“I’m calling her a criminal,” Tallahassee police chief Dennis Jones told 20/20, who maintains that both drug dealers and drug users are considered criminals to his department.

Under Florida law, possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana is a felony.

Rachel was also found in possession of two ecstasy pills, a felony under Florida law no matter the quantity because it “has a high potential for abuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.”

The Tallahassee police chief says Rachel was suspected of selling drugs and she was rightly treated as a criminal.

thank you for posting this.....it truley is a tragedy

yeah that was a good story on 20/20. i like the last part of the show when the reporter asked the cop if drug users are criminals and he said yes. sad

Thats not a tragedy, its unfortunate and wrong but not a tragedy. Save that word for things like earthquakes and genocide.

its crazy is what it is. she had a little mj and it cost her life in the end

Tater said:
Thats not a tragedy, its unfortunate and wrong but not a tragedy. Save that word for things like earthquakes and genocide.

Why is it not tragic? Of course genocide is and earthquakes are too as well as catastrophic, but a young girl getting killed isn't? It's a plant for god's sake, if you think it's just unfortunate I have to disagree with you 100%. Did she deserve to die? Do non violent "criminals" deserve to die just cause the man says so....or because they are too lazy to train her or do the job themselves.

And just so you know Tater she has friends on this board maybe you should explian why it's not a tragedy to them. I am not angry but your comment didn't make me happy either, the war on drugs kills people and ruin lives I guess that's just unfortunate. Sounds to me like you drink the kool aid a bit. Like I said I am not angry but if that was all you had to say then don't say anything. Like I said she has friends here and I'm sure they aren't too happy with your comment.

You accuse me of "drinking the kool aid" as it were and then tell me that I can't have an opinion. It wasn't a plant that caused her to lose her life it was stupidity and ignorance from all sides. It sucks that it happens but the reality is that these things will keep happening because we let them happen. Her death was a sad event but the real tragedy is that an entire nation stood by and let it happen and they will stand by and let it happen again. Stupidity and ignorance are both very dangerous traits and even more so when combined. How dare you twist my words and attempt to make it appear as though I have no care for human life.

PLAY NICE, dont make a sad event sadder over bickering, im sure it was a tragic event to the family and friends and it is also a trajedy that our society has come to these means of operations and that we let them . this whole thing is a tragic misjustice on our system and so is our continuence to permit it ..my condolences to your friend and family

tragedy is not the word alright? I got 2 chances to get caught for growin, soo thats not really tragedy ethier!! screw em leos

Tater said:

The reason its not a tragedy is that now there going to relook at some of the MJ laws, really she is more of a martyr in this war on drugs.

Sad but true

Tater said:

Come on! Tragedy is tragedy... Be it 23 years old girl used as a spy or Israil Army killing innocent children in Gaza... Both are the same, strong feasts on weak...

I'd of taken the 4 yrs behind bars, because i know that's probably not what i would of gotten anyway. My heart goes out to this young woman's parents, if she so did die over a controversial flowering herb. My sympathies did not falter when i read she had eXtacy.. or was accused of selling.. this does not make her guilty of it, i wouldn't trust the police's word anyway. She was a College Grad, she wasn't a criminal.

just goes to show you there is nothing those a--holes want do. and what is sad about it is to them she was just another criminal, but in reality she was a person, a human

Please play nice here guys. Just try to be mindful of others should they have a differing opinion then your own. This is a pretty sensitive issue.

Thanks.

Sorry Tater, I was just ticked at your reply. I apologize for my behaviour. I think that it is a tragedy for certain reasons.

1. Nobody should be put in harm's way over MJ. It's tragic that our country has these laws.

2. It's tagic cause in reality she was like a lot of 23 year old college grads., she used MJ and apparently ectasy.

3. It's tragic cause we waste time on a harmless flower IMO

4. It's tagic cause she was a pawn in a game that is really over power, control, and job security...cops get paid for a reason I think they should do their jobs and not involve others.

5. 4 years in prison for 20+grams in Florida is just evil, and anyone who gets their life ruined over it or loses their life over it is tragic IMO.

6. The fact that the cops dropped the ball and got someone killed is tragic, they had her buy stuff that probably sent up red flags and led to her death, they also blame her for leaving the buy point. They take zero responsibility, where were they when she left the buy site. Also they had a 23 year old girl buy a handgun which ended up killing her, all because she had 2 ecstasy pills and some weed. No one deserves to die over non-violent and IMO immoral laws.

7. It's tragic cause it shows that we as a country are willing to stand around and watch the autorities take advantage of so called "criminals".

8. And it's tragic cause it should have never happened period. Regardless of her breaking the law, she was hurting no one, contrary to what our authorities want everyone to think so they can profit from it.

9. It's tragic cause this is America and we should be ashamed that we have this war....

I ws angry the other night I had watched the TV episode on it and it was so wrong. At one point the interviewer asked the Police Chief if he thought Rachel was a criminal, his answer yes. It is my job to get criminals off the street. LOL off the street, you guys got her killed period. They never trained her, and they obviously didn't keep a close eye on her. Plus the whole making her buy a gun thing is just STUPID. If these LEOs and whatnot want to use methods like this they should be held responsible. Our laws and procedures killed this girl plain and simple and are a good example of a meaningless death. The only thing that kills MJ users is the law itself, not the plant. Laws built around greed and control, this was someones daughter and someones friend who died cause she was intimidated into an undercover buy...inexcusable.

I have one question for the Chief of Police down there....If that was your daughter would you still call her a criminal? Would you have sent her in to make a "STUPID" buy. And by stupid I mean sending her into buy things that probably put up a red flag for the dealers. Sure the dealers killed her, and I hope they fry but the police need to step up and take some responsibility. They make her out to be different than most 23 year olds, hell most 23 year olds are smokers and experimenters. She had her whole life in front of her, and now she is dead for what? A plant, and some lazy LEOs. LEO should earn their money IMO, I do and so do all of you that work for a living. If I have someone do something for me at work that is my job and they drop the ball then it's on me. How come the cops get free rides with this crap. MJ is harmless and we have made a war out of it just so LEO and legal type jobs can have their security. IMO the LEOs are the evil ones here. Getting high on MJ should not be a death sentence or even a prison sentence. Go get the bad guys and leave the good guys alone. Stop wasting our money and imprisoning your own citizens for your own gains. This girl should not be dead it's just sick in my eyes and we allow it to continue...how many destroyed lives before these people come out and say they made a mistake. Just cause it's illegal doesn't make it wrong in my eyes, non violent criminals or breakers of laws should not be harmed by laws like this. Think about it, 20 grams and 2 pills got her killed, but not directly. We perpetuate a war on a flower and brainwash people into supporting bogus policies all for greed and job security it sickens me.

Also you really had to see the episode to get angry, the cops were so uncaring and callous IMO.

Did the 20/20 story already air?

Latest posts

Back