slimey roots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranek Icewalker

Reaction score
Hey All

Im having a problem with slimey roots, i made a stupid mistake and put a clone into my DWC tub that had some Algae on the Rockwool, ever since the roots of my other clones has went down hill badly, the roots are slimey and blackish and they are breaking off.

I just spent a bit of cash on these genetics, G-13 Bubba Master Master Kush Hindu skunk and Raspberry Diesel and Afghani Kush.

I dumped some peroxcide in to try to fix the problem.

i just wanna know if its worth it, are the plants gonna be badly enough hurt that it would be a wiser choice to replace the clones rather than spend 2 weeks nursing them back to health?

Im using RO'd water AN 3 part nutes 17 gallon Tub for clones, then dropping em in their own buckets, the tub is light proofed and i have excellent bubble circulation.

Thanks for the reply odd, i know about getting rid of slimy roots, im just asking any growers out there to chime in and say if they think its worth it for smaller clones, rather than just repurchasing new clones.

as long as their roots have healthy root showing and starting to grow they will be fine. It will just take them a few days longer in vegging before they are ready to switch to flowering

YUP!!!!

water temp is the prob! also...is light getting into your rez where the nutrient solution and roots are????

the algea from the medium isnt the prob....

aquarium chiller is the solution ...also GH makes a KILLER addative I would look into if i were you :D

39 percent h202 can help my friend!

Well two of the clones have almost no roots, they stopped growing pretty much even though they have been vegging for a week.

Im not getting any light into the bin, and the temps of the water is never warm, always what i would consider cool to the touch, the additive you are talking about Atom is it Hydrozyme?

Thanks guys, never had slimy roots, wasnt sure if i just had to start from square one because of the to.

Ranek Icewalker said:
Hey All

Im having a problem with slimey roots, .

Thanks guys, never had slimy roots,

OK please clarify...i have a hard enough time posting on ppl theads abt the right thing let alone a self contridicting thread.....

and yes hydrozyme is the ****...if you have probs in a DWC it will clear 90% of the problem with in 4 days....

Ive never had a root rot/slimy root problem but my friend that runs the local hydro shop had the problem running a dwc with white buckets on his pepper plants with a vert light setup...i suggested he run black buckets and the hydrozyme until it cleard with chillers and within a week the problem was cleared. the leaves on the plants looked like a PH problem FYI.....but ph was in the zone. the rootmas was massive but he still couldnt pinpoint the prob>??? LOL

why he runs the hydro store IDK from what i understand the owner is a good friend and the guy has little EXP.

let us know- there is no shame in the expierence game man........

I cover the outside of my buckets with duct tape or tin foil to keep light out.

I'm with TOA. I believe this is being caused by res temps being too high. Water that is anywhere below body temp always feels cool to the touch. I highly doubt it had anything at all to do with algae on the top of the rockwool.

I'll go out and get a fish tank Thermometer today and check my temps, i'll double check my light proofing as well maybe give em a extra layer, Thanks guys.

If you keep your rockwool covered so that it is not getting light it will prevent the algae from growing. I used to grow DWC and had the same problem. You just need to make sure your hydroton covers the rockwool and you should be fine as far as algae growing on the rockwool.
Is the hydrogen peroxide you are going to use food grade at 35%? The hydrogen peroxide you buy in the grocery stores in the brown bottles is much less concentrated.

Latest posts

Back