Slowwwww growing plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverick1400

Reaction score
I started some Snow White 5 weeks ago, they are about 3" tall, and seem to have stopped growing ?? Might they need more nutes?

I have a 400 w MH and 2 4' florescent in a 6x12 room. MH is on 18 hrs and the flo stay on 24/7. We had a heat spell of over 100 F for a week and I had to turn the MH off because it was soooo damn hot. Could that have slowed them down ? Will they take off again ?

They are in organic soil. I am still new to this. Thanks for any help.

Thanks !

If they're only 3" tall and in organic soil they probably don't need more nutes and the organics are just now becoming available to them now that they have been in the soil for 5 weeks. How rich is your soil mix? Did you mix your own soil or is it a commercially available product? I use a very rich organic soil mix and I don't give my plants anything but water during veg growth. What size containers are they in? Have they ever been transplanted? Maybe the heat has slowed them down. You might do better to go with using just the fluoros for a while and get the tubes as close as you can get your plants without touching. Once you see them start to have vigorous growth then give them back the mh.

Happy Growing!

:watchplant:

Thanks. They are in 5 gal pots, I started the seeds in small plantable fiber pots, then planted them after about 10 days in the 5 gal pots.

Soil is Black Gold Organic, and I added 50 % pearlite. I didn't add any nutes until last week, then a very small dose.

I am hoping it was just the heat spell. It has cooled back down to the 50's at night and high 60's during the day, the grow room is staying a pretty constant 75-78 F. I will just keep them on the FL for awhile.

Thanks for the help.

If I understand you right, the 400 w MH and 2 4'florescent in a 6 foot by 12 foot room, you do not have enough lighting to have your lumens greater than 3000 lumen per square foot minimun for growth. 5000 lumens per square foot are what you want to us to design your growing area that is concider ideas lumenation for marijuana.

I read the same way as ozzy..and not haveing that 400 on will most likely lead to stretch..

:yeahthat: sounds like u might wanna use that mh :peace:

Do you have any pictures of them? How far away are you keeping the floros and the mh away from the tops? 3" in five weeks seems really slow to me.... Something is going on. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

Something is stunting their growth--they should be substantially larger at 5 weeks. Pictures would probably help. You do need to get some kind of reflective enclosure around your plants. As it is, your light is being disbursed throughout 72 sq ft. Your lumens per sq ft have to be almost nothing...

The floros are 6" above the plants, I turned the MH back on. Sounds like I need a couple of 8 tube T5 fixtures.

Has anyone seen those hanging pots that grow tomato plants upside down??
Anyone tried a plant in one ? Just wondering.

Thanks for the help all.

I have noticed that if i plant into to large of a container to early it slows growth because the roots are spending so much time developing new growth... the good news is that they always seemed to take off after the roots get really established... i have started to transplant several times... from starter cups into 1gallon bags after about 10 days to veg for a few weeks... once the plants start to get root bound it is time to go to the next container... i like 3 gallon grow bags. i leave them in the bags for 3-4 days...then the are flipped to 12-12... my point is that when your roots are developling growth tends to slow... so i like to control root development... transplanting at the right times has definately helped.
I hope this helps...

deadhd419 said:
I have noticed that if i plant into to large of a container to early it slows growth because the roots are spending so much time developing new growth... the good news is that they always seemed to take off after the roots get really established... i have started to transplant several times... from starter cups into 1gallon bags after about 10 days to veg for a few weeks... once the plants start to get root bound it is time to go to the next container... i like 3 gallon grow bags. i leave them in the bags for 3-4 days...then the are flipped to 12-12... my point is that when your roots are developling growth tends to slow... so i like to control root development... transplanting at the right times has definately helped.
I hope this helps...

I agree 1000% (One-Thousand Percent). I have noticed the same thing. If you take a seedling and put in even a moderate-sized container, it will take long time as the roots develop. But if you plant that same seedling in a smaller container, roots will develop quickly and push the plant up. When there is too much room, the root will keep growing until it fills up whatever available space it has, and then the top plant will follow.

Strawberry Cough said:
I agree 1000% (One-Thousand Percent). I have noticed the same thing. If you take a seedling and put in even a moderate-sized container, it will take long time as the roots develop. But if you plant that same seedling in a smaller container, roots will develop quickly and push the plant up. When there is too much room, the root will keep growing until it fills up whatever available space it has, and then the top plant will follow.

I've never seen that. Do you really think that's true? What about planting outdoors- the roots would go to China and the plant would never be more than a seedling with a ginormous root structure.

Interesting thought though.

Truth is, I keep upgrading pot size as plant grows but it's more an issue of needing to use less lighting and not wasting soil on plants I'm not going to keep.

As to Mavericks original post- it seems the plants must be stressed- possibly by the heat; or perhaps your soil is too hot (too much nutes, even though it's organic, can still happen). With a 400w light, at 5 weeks you should have a plant that's around 5 times that size. Post some pics and you'll get some good feedback.

BBFan said:
I've never seen that. Do you really think that's true? What about planting outdoors- the roots would go to China and the plant would never be more than a seedling with a ginormous root structure.

Interesting thought though.

Truth is, I keep upgrading pot size as plant grows but it's more an issue of needing to use less lighting and not wasting soil on plants I'm not going to keep.

As to Mavericks original post- it seems the plants must be stressed- possibly by the heat; or perhaps your soil is too hot (too much nutes, even though it's organic, can still happen). With a 400w light, at 5 weeks you should have a plant that's around 5 times that size. Post some pics and you'll get some good feedback.

I know that outside plants are a lot easier to grow then indoors... but i think it is more because when plants are growing under that beautiful (free) powerhouse in the sky they have nothing to do but grow, grow, grow. Having said that I am NOT a Scientist or an Expert...I only speak from experience and in my experience when growing indoors the you should consider about 1 gallon of soil per foot of growth ... and start in small containers and work your way up .......or dont... you choose... in my experience it helps to keep growth from slowing tho =)

deadhd419 said:
I know that outside plants are a lot easier to grow then indoors... but i think it is more because when plants are growing under that beautiful (free) powerhouse in the sky they have nothing to do but grow, grow, grow. Having said that I am NOT a Scientist or an Expert...I only speak from experience and in my experience when growing indoors the you should consider about 1 gallon of soil per foot of growth ... and start in small containers and work your way up .......or dont... you choose... in my experience it helps to keep growth from slowing tho =)

Certainly didn't mean any disrespect deadhd419. I'm saying this has not been my experience, whether mj or any plant. Transplanting, no matter how careful you are, is a stress to the plant. The plant goes into shock and growth slows or stops temporarily. I just moved some seedlings that barely had a main root into some larger pots and they're doing great. And I can assure you the roots are not filling the pot yet.

I'm not a scientist either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.;)

Good luck to you.

Do you have fresh air going to your plants?

High temps and stale air is sure to slow growth.

Latest posts

Back