Smack bust leads to pot grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

allgrownup

Smack bust leads to pot grow leads to ballast smoke – December 4, 2007

Eye Staff Report

ARCATA – A traffic stop led to a heroin arrest, a later marijuana grow takedown and a smoking lighting system that Arcata Fire didn’t bother to put out. Now, the original suspect is sought for re-arrest.

The sequence of events began Saturday, Nov. 24 at about 10:19 a.m., when Arcata Police Sgt. Bart Silvers of the Arcata Police Department conducted a traffic stop on Giuntoli Lane at U.S. Highway 101. The vehicle was driven by 25-year-old Benjamin Foster of Eureka.

Silvers learned that Foster was driving on a suspended driver’s license and he was arrested. Foster was allegedly in possession of marijuana, concentrated cannabis (hash), a scale, packaging materials and about 11grams of heroin.

Foster was booked into the Humboldt County Correctional Facility charges of possession of a narcotic for sales, transportation of a narcotic for sales, possession of concentrated cannabis, driving on a suspended license and displaying false registration tabs.

On Monday, Nov. 26, utilizing information turned up during Foster’s arrest, the Humboldt County Drug Task Force, Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office and the Arcata Police Department executed search warrants at a self-storage unit in Arcata and a residence located on the 2100 block of Frederick Avenue.

During the search on Frederick Avenue, agents located an indoor hydroponic marijuana cultivation consisting of 214 mature marijuana plants and 205 immature marijuana plants. HCDTF requested assistance from the Arcata Fire Protection District due to hazardous wiring into the main fuse box and wires hanging throughout the residence near water sources.

While Arcata Fire was at the residence, a ballast in one of the grow rooms started to smoke and catch fire. “I just happened to look down at one of the ballasts on the floor, and smoke started rolling out, so I leaned out the window and called for an extinguisher,” said Assistant Fire Chief Desmond Cowan. The smoke then stopped, so he didn’t use the extinguisher, and DTF agents subsequently dismantled the grow system.

Cowan said the home had been heavily modified for cultivation, creating numerous fire hazards. Jury-rigged wiring, with bare wires twisted together ran through the house, connected to open junction boxes lying on the floor. Holes had been punched through walls and ceilings, creating easy paths for fire.

Agents seized the marijuana plants and grow equipment and located and seized approximately 102 grams of marijuana “bud,” a triple-beam scale and paperwork. They also found a sophisticated concentrated cannabis operation and seized about six pounds of “shake” marijuana.

During the search of the self-storage unit, agents located and seized about 111.2 pounds of marijuana bud packaged in half-pound and one-pound bags. Agents also seized a John Deere Quad-runner.

Foster, who had been released on bail Nov. 24, was not located during the searches. HCDTF has requested an arrest warrant for him.�

to each his/her own, i say if you grow grow your own, if everyone grew for themselves there wouldn't be a black market for pot.

i agree the dirtbag smack peddler needs to be behind bars.

i posted this for the relevance of how a simple traffic stop and possession of an illegal substance can lead to your home being searched and you possibly being taken away in cuffs.

you get caught with more than your county, city, state, allows for possesion and you to can be in those shoes. Be real peeps and don't carry more than you need and leave the paraphanelia at home. you can eat a joint. i imagine its difficult to eat a 3' bong.

Don't take your bongs to town, son, leave your bongs at home, Bill. Don't take your bongs to town....

I believe the idiot needs to be arrested for the smack, but no one should ever have any charges whatsoever for Cannabis. It is funny to me how the authorities get so excited about busts like these. They didn't take anything bad off the streets by confiscating the Cannabis. They are excited because their lives stink and they get their kicks by destroying others.

good stupid guy should of gotten taken to jail , heroin? i would of pimp slapped him if i was a cop.

Latest posts

Back