Smoking Marijuana is Good for Your Lungs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key2life

Reaction score
Pretty interesting findings here:

Actually got this from the Seedsman Facebook feed.

hxxp://www.takepart.com/article/2012/01/11/marijuana-not-bad-your-lungs

"After 20 years of testing, researchers found some buzzworthy results: regular marijuana smokers (defined by up to a joint a day for seven years) had no discernable impairment in lung activity from non-smokers. In fact, researchers were surprised to find marijuana smokers performed slightly better than both smokers and non-smokers on the lung performance test. Why? The most likely explanation seems to be that the act of inhaling marijuana—holding each puff in for as long as possible—is a lot like a pulmonary function test, giving marijuana smokers an edge over their cigarette smoking counterparts."

I don't see how smoking anything could considered "good for your lungs". It may not be as bad as some things, but I know plenty of people who only smoke marijuana and cough and hack constantly.

In the last paragraph of the story, it's suggested that a smoker might think about a different way to ingest MJ - like a vaporizer, maybe.

I think the lung "functionality test" doesn't concern itself with deposits in the lungs, just how they breathe in and out.

Also, the study was defined by up to a joint a day for seven years, so if folks smoke more than that, then they're not included in the data.

But, I get your point and agree. :smoke1:

peace,

:icon_smile: key :icon_smile:

I believe it. I only hack and cough if there is any sign of seed or stem or improper flush/cure. There's a reason this stuff isn't legal (when alcohol the toxin is) AND its not for our safety.

I remember reading somewhere that the tars and nasties that you get from smoking stuff sort of slips off the lungs instead of sticking to them due to the THC. Not sure if it was fact or fiction but certainly would be nice if it were true.

There are studies all over the place, and the results are speculatory. For instance, what type of rolling paper is being used? It's a well known fact that, for the most part, the paper is what is bad for the lungs. Zig Zags for instance, are horrible for your whole respiratory system.

Marijuana is also an inflammatory for the respiratory system as it irritates Your nose, throat and lungs. Depending on how much you smoke (all day every day for instance), this irritation can cause scar tissue which will eventually, in most cases, lower your lung capacity. This scaring is also what allows the chance for cancer to develop. It also reduces your immune systems effectiveness, thus we who smoke get sicker easier, take longer to recover, and get other autoimmune diseases such as arthritis.

Smoking in a vaporizer has been shown to reduce, if not eliminate, many of these side effects. The average user who smokes once a day will probably never have any issues or side effects. But to claim it helps, is beyond reasonable. Maybe you can hold more capacity but I guarantee your co2 max will decline as your lungs won't process the extra oxygen due to the scar tissue.

Compared to smoking cigarettes weed is harmless. I'm not worried. I know lots of doctors who smoke and even tell me not to worry. But when I had surgery on my nose I was told not to smoke for at least 3 months but preferably a year because it will prohibit healing and cause scar tissue which could lead to complications.

Don't get it twisted though, I feel, as many others, the benefits far outweigh the possible negatives.

Latest posts

Back