Stealthy intake- help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raisin Jackson

Reaction score
This is really something that has me stumped. I've done this lightproof air intake thing before, but not in a situation like this so help would be great.
I want an air intake into a closet, lightproof, and with those regular folding closet doors over top. I'd want it easy to pull down, not permanent, and on the inside so the regular doors work normally.
I need it light proof and with airflow with the normal doors closed. And of course I'm not able to spend much.
It needs to look like a normal closet door from the outside. And like it's stuffed with good buds from the inside.

Howdy RJ, If I were you, I'd line the inside folding doors with those space blankets you can get @ wallyworld, make sure they overlap, along with 2-3" extra on the floor.

For used air, cut a vent over the closet, cover hole with standard wall vent(11"x5", white, if walls white)

for intake, well, I don't know, maybe next to the closet door near the floor? ya need cold air comin in.

I would use the same size fans for intake and outbound, and don't forget charcoal can filter, unless you really like the smell!:);) :hubba:

Bhphotovideo sells lightproof air intake vents for 25$, don't know how well they work (yet) but I am excited to see.
hXXp://www.bhphotovideo.com"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Got that thing installed, quite nice, but I will need a second one, one of the 8"x8" isn't enough for a 6" out with 450cfm blower. This is a real handy piece though and thanks to whoever suggested it to me. Really if anyone needs a light proof vent, these are tops. Duct tape sticks real good to them too. Im not pushing these guys stuff, I have no connection to them at all, though a discount or something would be cool, I don't guess I really want them knowing what I use it for.. Hope this helps someone. Beats the old labyrinth of PVC elbows or hermied plants from light leaks. It is definately lightproof.

I'm really surprised that an 8" x 8" vent isn'tenough to handle any 6" round fan because unless I really screwed up, the 8" x 8" is about 2.26 times as big as the 6"round fan hole.

What makes you think it isn't big enough?

Also how did your light proof the 6" round fan?

Good smoking.

It's not enough with the way it slows down the airflow, the baffleing or whatever it's called. The 6" outs into an attic with a carbon filter so no light can escape there. The 8" intake is just about enough but there's alot of pressure on the rest of the homemade temporary lightproof door that covers the closet. It's a duct tape, black poly, garage door shiney insulation, with Velcro door/wall. It can be pulled down in a hurry if need be.

Any chance you can attach a bell mouth to the fan intake?

From what I've seen, just mounting the fan flush with the surface or even better on the outside of the wall works very good, but then I've never worked with a bell mouth. I do remember though that on the cross ram MOPAR big engines leaving the base plate for the air cleaner in place versus just an bare topped carb gave a few 10s of a second better time in the quarter mile. I tried it with just a flat plate on my Y block Fords and it helped to. I'm sure that with the money they had available if bell mouthed had been better than flat, they would have been running bell mouths. I have found that having a piece of tubing sticking out way past the wall surface didn't seem to extract as well as flush with the wall.

Good smoking.

I think I need a pic of this thing installed, I'll try to get one up tomorrow, or u could visit my growlog and find a pic with it in the background. (hey I just want visitors: LEDs with hempy buckets)

Latest posts

Back