Still have excess heat issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjf2612

Tree man
Reaction score
:confused: My indoor box 2 x 3 x 5 is still getting too hot inside ( 82-97 ) despite adding extra fans(inlet and exhaust). I new my 400hps would cause me probs but I just cant bring it down enough. I made an air intercooler by running the inlet pipe through a bucket of ice water, that didnt do enough, I have got a dehumidifier, that didnt do enough, 2 x inlet cmf's and 2 x exhaust cmf's, that didnt do enough, a 12 inch ossc fan inside, that didnt do enough, im still getting 85+ deg.

I have an outside brick shed 3 x 5 x 8 which I would prefer to use but I have no way of getting a fresh air supply into it.

I realy realy need some help. I have the seeds from Nirvana and everything else need but just cant crack this heat prob.

I also forgot to mention that I cant really upgrade the fans to bigger ones cas its in my bedroom and they already make a hell of a noise.

Hi CJF -- Part of this depends on ambient room temps. In other words, unless you have access to take in fresh/cool air from outside your grow area, (like from a vent or window to outside the house) you can't expect temps in your grow box to be lower than the room in which your grow area is located. And with lights and what-not, your grow area will probably be at least 7 to 10 degrees ABOVE temps in the area where your grow box is located -- and that is with good airflow.

That said, your intercooler sounds interesting, though I know I'd never be able to keep up with constantly keeping the bucket filled with cold water or ice. What kind of radiator do you have inside your cab and what kind of fan blows the cool air through that radiator? What method do you use to force cool water to flow through the radiator?

cjf2612 said:
:confused: My indoor box 2 x 3 x 5 is still getting too hot inside ( 82-97 ) despite adding extra fans(inlet and exhaust). I new my 400hps would cause me probs but I just cant bring it down enough. I made an air intercooler by running the inlet pipe through a bucket of ice water, that didnt do enough, I have got a dehumidifier, that didnt do enough, 2 x inlet cmf's and 2 x exhaust cmf's, that didnt do enough, a 12 inch ossc fan inside, that didnt do enough, im still getting 85+ deg.

I have an outside brick shed 3 x 5 x 8 which I would prefer to use but I have no way of getting a fresh air supply into it.

I realy realy need some help. I have the seeds from Nirvana and everything else need but just cant crack this heat prob.

CJ, here's th' rule of thumb; mj grows in most places on Earth, from 20 degrees south to 20 degrees north lattitude. Mj can survive in temps from +40F - +125F.

Also is your hps transformer in the cab also? if so, move it out of the grow area. Another way to reduce heat is to get one of those light hoods that you may hook a fan up to, then exhaust the heat directly from the bulb out of the grow area. Also remember heat rises: intake air at floor level exhaust at ceiling level!>)

Cheers Dada,

The intercooler is a large family cool box for picnics. The inlet pipe-3in vent hose pulls air in from the window.It runs into a hole I cut in the bottom side of the cool box and then runs back and forth inside it until it exits the box on the opposing side and enters my cab via a 2in cmf. This is the only intake I use for the intercooler. Having sealed the oustide of the box/air joints with silicon compound I fill up with ice, put the air tight lid on to keep the ice/pipe inside cold as long as poss.

After about 15 mins the intake air temp had dropped from 105 - 94 so it does do something. Filled it with Ice at 6am today and the water inside was still ice cold at 3pm.

Maybe with a little more refinning it could do more.

hey, wots up Natur and cheers.
My hps ballast is outside the box, that realy needs a fan on it just for itself as it gets super hot, but thats normal from wot I have researched.

My two inlet cmf's are at the bottom of my cab and the two exhausts are on the opposing side at the top (again, more research)

Ambient room temp is approx 60-65 as ive left windows/doors open to try and keep it down.

if you can get your hands on enough ... try dry ice... might last longer

Your intercooler does sound like a good idea. Have you thought about running a water pump in the water/ice that pushes cold water through a hose connected to like a large heater core from a car? Then you could have a computer fan blowing through the fins of the heater core and into your cab. You could connect the exit fitting of the heater core to a hose going back to your ice/water reservoir. You could adjust the water pump to pump just the right amount of cold water through the core so you can allow heat exchange. You'll get some condensation, but if you have a dehumidifier, that won't be a problem. I'll bet you could get a heater core for like a big old '79 Pontiac or something from a junkyard for next to nothing. That would be almost like an air conditioner for your cab, though, as I said, you wouldn't be removing any humidity.

Latest posts

Back