the best yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homegrown47

dank inspector
Reaction score
im running ak47 with a 400w hps any advice on how 2 get maximum yield and how much should i expect per plant? any advice would be appreciated

homegrown47 said:
im running ak47 with a 400w hps any advice on how 2 get maximum yield and how much should i expect per plant? any advice would be appreciated
This question gets asked more than any other beginner question I think.

Here's the story:

If you grew your ak47 to full size at about 6 to 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide using the best of the best in nutes and hydroponics, you could get as much as 32 cured ounces from it, but not with only one 400 watt light.

However, if you grow it in a 12/12 lighting schedule from the start and it's your first crop with the learning curve, you could get as little as 2 ounces of cured weed from it.

It all depends on how you grow it.

That's what MP is all about.

First you have to tell us if you're going to use dirt or hydro. If hydro, what type of hydro. Organic soil or non-organic?

What size is your growing area in Length, width and height?

That's good for starters!

You should expect grams per lumen and or gram per watt. Each plant is genetically designed to produce only a certain amount each under optimum conditions. If your goal is 1 gram per watt, and you run 10 plants make sure the strain is capable of producing 40 grams each - which is a real possibility if your room is properly set-up and the watering/feeding scheduale is on point w/ AK. This rule applies to any amount of plants - run 30 plants under a light or 6 plants under the same light and you will produce the same amount. 30 plants will simply produce less on each plant. It's all about the grams per watt. I've been growing for many years now and 1 gram per watt is fantastic and realistic goal to try and acheive. Many people avg. around .5 to .8 grams per watt, anything more and your doing excellant...best of luck...

Depends on a number of things ...... conditions, number of plants, what kind of system and so forth....? :confused2:

StoneyBud said:
This question gets asked more than any other beginner question I think.

Here's the story:

If you grew your ak47 to full size at about 6 to 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide using the best of the best in nutes and hydroponics, you could get as much as 32 cured ounces from it, but not with only one 400 watt light.

However, if you grow it in a 12/12 lighting schedule from the start and it's your first crop with the learning curve, you could get as little as 2 ounces of cured weed from it.

It all depends on how you grow it.

That's what MP is all about.

First you have to tell us if you're going to use dirt or hydro. If hydro, what type of hydro. Organic soil or non-organic?

What size is your growing area in Length, width and height?

That's good for starters!
ive got 3 in a 3x3x7 area im using fox farm ocean forest with purivida grow and bloom organic they are 3 weeks old and 1 foot tall and 1foot wide maybe evne a lil wider than that is that good enough or need better nutes??

2small said:
Is that for real, 1 gram per watt?

While 1 gram per watt is attainable, most new growers do not come close to this. If you get 1/4 gram per watt when you are starting out, it will be good. Concentrate on optimum growing conditions and yield will come.

homegrown47 said:
ive got 3 in a 3x3x7 area im using fox farm ocean forest with purivida grow and bloom organic they are 3 weeks old and 1 foot tall and 1foot wide maybe evne a lil wider than that is that good enough or need better nutes??
I've never used Purivida nutes, but since they have a "grow" and "bloom" set, I'll take it for granted that they've done the same mix as the other 999 manufacturers of basic nutrients for weed.

So, with a soil grow, properly measured nutrients, a 400 watt HPS and an allowance for your plants to get to at least 4 feet tall in your 3 foot by 3 foot area for the growth of your ak47 strain, I would say you can harvest at least 200 grams of cured weed for your first grow.

If you actually have an 8 foot ceiling and can grow all the way to 5 feet tall without burning your canopy, and you put an additional 400 watt HPS in there with the proper ventilation to provide a good growing temperature, then you could increase that yield to as much as twice what you can with only one light and a 4 foot crop.

The temps and good oxygen/CO2 replacement are going to be your largest concerns. The experienced growers here on MP can advise you on building/buying a solid ventilation system for your size of room.

Proper watering without over/under soaking is also very important.

Don't expect a maxed out crop on your first grow. It's very doubtful you'll reach it.

Good luck!

StoneyBud said:
I've never used Purivida nutes, but since they have a "grow" and "bloom" set, I'll take it for granted that they've done the same mix as the other 999 manufacturers of basic nutrients for weed.

So, with a soil grow, properly measured nutrients, a 400 watt HPS and an allowance for your plants to get to at least 4 feet tall in your 3 foot by 3 foot area for the growth of your ak47 strain, I would say you can harvest at least 200 grams of cured weed for your first grow.

If you actually have an 8 foot ceiling and can grow all the way to 5 feet tall without burning your canopy, and you put an additional 400 watt HPS in there with the proper ventilation to provide a good growing temperature, then you could increase that yield to as much as twice what you can with only one light and a 4 foot crop.

The temps and good oxygen/CO2 replacement are going to be your largest concerns. The experienced growers here on MP can advise you on building/buying a solid ventilation system for your size of room.

Proper watering without over/under soaking is also very important.

Don't expect a maxed out crop on your first grow. It's very doubtful you'll reach it.

Good luck!
when would be the best time or height to start flowering ? i dont want them 2 be any bigger than 4 ft if even that big they r 4 weeks old and about 14-15 in tall and 20 in wide? appreciate the tips u have all given so far thanx

homegrown47 said:
when would be the best time or height to start flowering ? i dont want them 2 be any bigger than 4 ft if even that big they r 4 weeks old and about 14-15 in tall and 20 in wide? appreciate the tips u have all given so far thanx
It would be much better if one of the soil pro's answered...

Please...

So you currently are running 3- AK47 (Sativa dominant) 24/0 under a 400 watt hps in a 3x3 grow area using an organic nute regiment. Is that correct?

Need to know a little bit more about your environment. How are you exchanging air? What are your temps and humidity? Are you measuring your ph? What size pots are you in? Are you doing any training (bending or topping)? Are they showing preflowers yet?

I'm no pro and I've never grown ak47, but I have grown a sativa dominant strain indoor in soil under 400 watts. IMHO you should do some Lst (bending-tying over) training for the next week or so (read StoneyBud's sticky about LST / HST above). 3 plants should do well in that space. Happy growing. (My first grow I got about 100 grams off 3 plants under 400 watts). 1 gram per watt is an admirable grow.

BBFan said:
So you currently are running 3- AK47 (Sativa dominant) 24/0 under a 400 watt hps in a 3x3 grow area using an organic nute regiment. Is that correct?

Need to know a little bit more about your environment. How are you exchanging air? What are your temps and humidity? Are you measuring your ph? What size pots are you in? Are you doing any training (bending or topping)? Are they showing preflowers yet?

I'm no pro and I've never grown ak47, but I have grown a sativa dominant strain indoor in soil under 400 watts. IMHO you should do some Lst (bending-tying over) training for the next week or so (read StoneyBud's sticky about LST / HST above). 3 plants should do well in that space. Happy growing. (My first grow I got about 100 grams off 3 plants under 400 watts). 1 gram per watt is an admirable grow.
i have a 6 inch 270cfm exhaust fan witha 6 in oscilating fan the temps are 73- 79 degrees with 47% humidity the ph is 6.7 but havent checked it since i strted using nutes 1 week ago one plant is showing a couple of pistils the other one hasnt shown yet but i bought the seeds feminized is the good enough? and 1 more question should i lollipop them? thanx 2 all and keep tokin;)

I have heard from many people on here that femed seeds tend to hermie under poor or even sometimes under ideal conditions if its a weak seed, so just because theyre femed seeds doesn't mean you shouldn't be watching out for balls.

gsxr1000 said:
I have heard from many people on here that femed seeds tend to hermie under poor or even sometimes under ideal conditions if its a weak seed, so just because theyre femed seeds doesn't mean you shouldn't be watching out for balls.
I definitely got a "fem" auto blueberry that turned male without any stress at all.

Yeah no insult intended, but i just assumed your newbie to growing and wasn't sure if you knew about hermies yet.

gsxr1000 said:
Yeah no insult intended, but i just assumed your newbie to growing and wasn't sure if you knew about hermies yet.
appreciate the advice i knew they were from heremes but 2 out of 3 have already shown pistils so i hope they arent heremes or dont turn heremes but thanx for the heads up anyways

homegrown47 said:
i have a 6 inch 270cfm exhaust fan witha 6 in oscilating fan the temps are 73- 79 degrees with 47% humidity the ph is 6.7 but havent checked it since i strted using nutes 1 week ago one plant is showing a couple of pistils the other one hasnt shown yet but i bought the seeds feminized is the good enough? and 1 more question should i lollipop them? thanx 2 all and keep tokin;)

In 9 square feet, I personally wouldn't lollipop them as you have plenty of space for 3 plants. Read up on StoneyBud's LST/HST (sticky) thread- great info there and will really help you achieve optimium results. You have enough room to do some lst that will give you many more bud sites and you'll still have sufficient lighting for even penetration.

Sounds like your temps and humidity are fine. How are you bringing in fresh air to your space? I see you have exhaust, but no intake. You probably don't need it if air is getting into the space passively but it would only help to have air coming in from outside the grow area.

I would really do some training before switching to 12/12. 7 to 10 days extra veg at this point is only going to help increase your yield. Your plants sound like they are sexually mature and ready for flowering.

The decision is yours- Good Luck!

homegrown47 said:
appreciate the advice i knew they were from heremes but 2 out of 3 have already shown pistils so i hope they arent heremes or dont turn heremes but thanx for the heads up anyways

You knowingly planted hermie seeds? There is no surprise that they are showing pistils. They will most likely all show pistils.....and balls. Hermies procreate hermies. Seeds from hermies should be destroyed. This is an undesirable genetic trait that should not be perpetuated.

BBFan said:
In 9 square feet, I personally wouldn't lollipop them as you have plenty of space for 3 plants. Read up on StoneyBud's LST/HST (sticky) thread- great info there and will really help you achieve optimium results. You have enough room to do some lst that will give you many more bud sites and you'll still have sufficient lighting for even penetration.

Sounds like your temps and humidity are fine. How are you bringing in fresh air to your space? I see you have exhaust, but no intake. You probably don't need it if air is getting into the space passively but it would only help to have air coming in from outside the grow area.

I would really do some training before switching to 12/12. 7 to 10 days extra veg at this point is only going to help increase your yield. Your plants sound like they are sexually mature and ready for flowering.

The decision is yours- Good Luck!
ur advice is great i read the lst training and will try it right away i will prob wait another week and then flower they seed bank i got them from said they will flower quickly for a sativa dominant plant so i will post pics after and a couple weeks to see wut u guys think

Home grown - form 1 newbie to another: slow down and read all you can before you do ANYTHING. I am in the middle of my 1st grow, but I read my butt off here and elsewhere before I set up anything. Still doesn't guarantee success, but you will have a much better shot and be more confident in the grow decisions you make.

Latest posts

Back