trannsplanting budding females

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipperz

Reaction score
hi i'm just a beginner i was wondering if i can transplant 3 week old budding females into bigger pots without stunning the growth? THANKS in advance

Its possible but lets see some pics to see if the plant is too big for the pot. What size are the pots? Transplanting during flowering is dangerous to the stress level of the plant possibly causing hermies.

When you do trans plant, if your OD or ID do it right at sun up, or when lights come on, then water asap and you should be ok !

I've transplanted just before night time on a 4 week old flowering plant...didn't stunt it a bit...but maybe i got lucky. I watered it prior to transplant, then re-watered it after and it was fine and perky the whole time

There is a section on transplanting in this forum. I know it cause I read it once.
I've transplanted in flower stage with no problems.
I water the plant about a day before so the moisture will help retain the root ball's integrity.
Have your new pot all ready to go.
I use vinyl gloves to keep skin oils from roots.
If I find the section-I PM you a link.
:)

:yeahthat: Great advice!
My experience has been the same. Water the heck out of it, transplant, and water the heck out of it again. The only drawback for me is the long wait to get them back on nutes. I feel I'm losing some good growth time.

Whatever you do, Good Luck!

I personally hate the mess. I go start to finish in 5 gallon nursery pots with my soil mix and never have any problems.

Don't be afraid to transplant your plants. They will be fine as long as you are gentle with the. Your plants will be happier with the larger pot. I have never had any problems with transplanting in flowering. Just do it before your buds get too large or the weight could brake branches while handling the plant.

Transplant the entire soil and root ball from smaller plant to larger pot. Don't let the soil start falling apart. Soak the pot before and after transplanting.

Disco94 said:
I personally hate the mess. I go start to finish in 5 gallon nursery pots with my soil mix and never have any problems.

While that may seem the right way to go, it doesn't work for me for a few reasons.

1. You need to use more lighting from the start as the plants are spread further apart due to pot size and will not all get effective lighting.

2. Tremendous waste of soil (particularly at $20.00 US for a bag of Ocean Forest or Happy Frog) when you weed out the males.

3. Waste of nutes and can potentially lead to a salt build up if using chemical ferts.

But if it works for you, more power to you!

I dunno how u guys are watering before transplant..
On watering day the soil is dry and easy to transplant, I just put the main stalk in between my fingers, turn the pot upside down and pull the plant/rootball out.. I think put it in a bag where I have already placed dirt.. then fill in on the sides and ontop of the rootball with new fresh dirt.. then water..
watering before transplant seems like it would just make a mess and to me, it seems like the rootball wouldnt stay together as well..

Do it dry just as you said and then water it once its in the new home so the new soil can fill in around it and get good and packed. Just be careful and try to get all of it at once and next time remember to TP before flower because it can cause stress. this ealry is OK to do but as many others will say too later than that and your asking for trouble, it may take a week or so for the plant to get used to its new home but thats normal MOJO for the grow man get up some pics so we can see how it really looks :aok:

In my experience, doing it wet makes it come out of the pot easier.

Relentless999 said:
I dunno how u guys are watering before transplant..
On watering day the soil is dry and easy to transplant, I just put the main stalk in between my fingers, turn the pot upside down and pull the plant/rootball out.. I think put it in a bag where I have already placed dirt.. then fill in on the sides and ontop of the rootball with new fresh dirt.. then water..
watering before transplant seems like it would just make a mess and to me, it seems like the rootball wouldnt stay together as well..

I agree wet soil crumbles and breaks down. I like it slightly damp from being watered the day before. right before I would normally water I set the bigger pot right next to the smaller pot and have someone help lift the plant and place it in the new pot which I already have some soil in along the bottom...Then a heavy watering and new soil around the sides.

Latest posts

Back