Understanding CO2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killertea08

Liven The Dream
Reaction score
Ok so I know all the benifets on increasing the ppm in your grow room. The question I have is how to figure out how much im going to need for the size grow room I have. Ive read many things on how to do it one by Ed Rosenthal in the book Closet cultivatior. He says that the gas to be released must be figured based on the volume of the garden. Mine is 4x4x4 equals 64 cubic ft or the volume of the space. You need to multiply (length x width x height). The result is the volume of the space, which is measured in cubic feet. To find the amount o f gas required to enrich the garden to 1000ppm CO2 multiply the cubic feet by .001 to enrich the garden to 1500 ppm thats .0015 and 2000ppm is .002. Ok so now the part I dont understand Ive read in other books that the ppm once put in decimal form some people put less or more zeros. Example some say 1000ppm is .01 or 2000ppm is .02 ... Ok so I dont get it what is the right way of doing this so I can do it. Some one please help me figure this out.:eek:

It depends how you are introducing co2 to your grow room buying a co2 tank and regulator is the best option because it is easy t control. if you use co2 tanks you can go online and find a c02 ppm calulator that figures out how high to turn your regulator too so you have the right amount of co2.

I suggest buying a co2 test kit. it is like a little syringe kit they cost like $20 and have 2 tests in a pack. From what i have read plants like 1000-1500ppm anything more and it hurts the plants.

I am in the same pickle i have a co2 tank and reg but havnt tested the co2 in my room becaause i havnt bought a co2 test kit. :hitchair:

A good buddy of mine told me that using co2 increased his yield 35%.
he said that the regulator makes it so you know the correct amount of co2 is being released into the grow room on a timely fashion.he told me that in my case (since i'm always home and have all the time in the world for my garden) i could just get a couple tanks and manually release the co2 into the room.he said thats how he did it b-4 he had enough money to get the regulator.i guess theres a place (a fire extinguisher shop) around here that'll refill 2 tanks for 40 bucks,or at least this is how much he paid to refill his tAnks (not sure on what size they were)
he said he'd have to refill them every 10 days (which seems a little expensive,but if you have a good size garden going,its well worth it)Anyways Thats my $.02.Good luck

Well I plan on using bottled C02 because its easy. If I multiply the volume of the room which is 64 cubic feet by the amount needed 1500 ppm and so if you change 1500 into a decimal .0015 if thats right? Ive read in another book saying 1500ppm is .15 so whats right? if you multiply the volume by .0015 you get .096
or if you multiply the volume by .15 you get 9.6 the answer is in cubic feet of gas needed for the space. so which one is it .0015 or .15?

Here is a link to a co2 calculator.
http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/co2_calculator.asp

Here is a link to a co2 regulator like I use. I used the instructions to figure out my room so I hope it helps.
http://www.hydrofarm.com/docs/19151_HF_Co2System.pdf
I tested the ppm of my room the next day and had to raise the level a little. The instructions got me to about 700 ppm. I have it around 1500 now. My plants are growing faster and better than I have ever seen. The air conditioning helps too. I don't vent my room, only my lights. I have been using it for about 2 weeks. You can see some pictures in my grow journal link of my setup.

Not to sure. I researched using a bottle, and reg vs co2 burner, and though the co2 burner was a more expensive way to go, the end results seemed more consistent. Sorry I couldn't help u out. CH

Here is a link to tanks if you don't already have them. Much cheaper than hydro stores. A 20# tank costs 20$ to fill. I figure one tank will last me 2 to 3 weeks. That is less than 10$ a week. I bought 2 tanks so I have time to fill the empty and not run out. I just exchange it at the local hydro shop, or welding supply.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2.shtml

Hey Kasgrow dude you freakin rock man that web site that calculates it for you is awesome. Dude If I knew you I would so smoke you out haha. thanks again dude!!! Peace and love

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
A good buddy of mine told me that using co2 increased his yield 35%.
he said that the regulator makes it so you know the correct amount of co2 is being released into the grow room on a timely fashion.he told me that in my case (since i'm always home and have all the time in the world for my garden) i could just get a couple tanks and manually release the co2 into the room.he said thats how he did it b-4 he had enough money to get the regulator.i guess theres a place (a fire extinguisher shop) around here that'll refill 2 tanks for 40 bucks,or at least this is how much he paid to refill his tAnks (not sure on what size they were)
he said he'd have to refill them every 10 days (which seems a little expensive,but if you have a good size garden going,its well worth it)Anyways Thats my $.02.Good luck

While I agree CO2 can increase your yeild ive also realized its totaly not needed to grow buds the size of your leg, fresh air is all thats needed and why make it cost more than it has to?

Good point Growdude but because im growing in a small space and using a sog style grow I want to utilize my space to its fullest and max it out with a mini forest.

Killertea08 said:
Well I plan on using bottled C02 because its easy. If I multiply the volume of the room which is 64 cubic feet by the amount needed 1500 ppm and so if you change 1500 into a decimal .0015 if thats right? Ive read in another book saying 1500ppm is .15 so whats right? if you multiply the volume by .0015 you get .096
or if you multiply the volume by .15 you get 9.6 the answer is in cubic feet of gas needed for the space. so which one is it .0015 or .15?

1500 ppm is equal to 1500/1000000

Which is equal to 15 /10000

Which is equal to .0015

Latest posts

Back