Advertise On Marijuana Passion

Using water from a de humidfier

Beach Bum

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, just wondering if using water from a de-humidifier was ok. I have tested it with a ppm and it only reads 24, and I have alot of it. Just wondering .....
 

Iron Emmett

Closet Farmer
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
392
Reaction score
22
I dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to use it, 24 PPM is well within the recommended range for hydro, its not any different than using Distilled water.
 

pcduck

Feed the soil, not the plant
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
14,298
Reaction score
7,281
If you do not run the water through a UV ionizer I would recommend that you do not use it. If I remember correctly our member Weedhopper tried a similar water source and had disastrously results due to the bacteria in the water. Maybe Weedhopper will pop in with more info.
 

zem

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
3,169
Reaction score
452
pcduck said:
If you do not run the water through a UV ionizer I would recommend that you do not use it. If I remember correctly our member Weedhopper tried a similar water source and had disastrously results due to the bacteria in the water. Maybe Weedhopper will pop in with more info.
i think that was me, i had a thread started about this issue, thread was lost with MP's crash. i had a quick outburst of bacteria with all clones getting slime and dying quickly because of dehumidifier water. it was really bad. with all the toxins and residues on the coils of dehumidifier, it can be home to very nasty and resilient forms of bacteria, so i wouldn't use it at all...
 
D

dman1234

Guest
Personally, i wouldnt let my finger get wet with it while i was pouring it down the toilet. it can be nasty.
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
OG beat me to it. Legionaires disease is caused by bacteria that grows in condensate water.
 

GuyGalaxy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
90
Reaction score
1
Couldn't u simply use peroxide? Distilled water is spendy and my local water is 350 ppm after filtering?
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
If your water is 350, you really need an RO.

I believe that the bacteria from condensate water is airborne.
 

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Joined
Mar 27, 2011
Messages
6,441
Reaction score
289
I would think that if you really need to recycle that water, you could use pool chlorine to sterilize it then aerate it to remove the chlorine. But it seems like more effort than its worth to do that unless you are capturing dozens of gallons at a time and are able to hold it for use. Seems like you would be better to get a good filtration system. If you know what kinds of contaminates are in your water, then you can possibly get a less expensive and envolved filter than an RO filter. I have a "Hydrofarm Small Boy" filter setup that works really well but my water is only about 100ppm before the filter and less than 10 after. :)
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
Dissolved solids generally cannot be filtered out with regular type filters--it takes an RO or a treatment system.
 

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Joined
Mar 27, 2011
Messages
6,441
Reaction score
289
The Hemp Goddess said:
Dissolved solids generally cannot be filtered out with regular type filters--it takes an RO or a treatment system.
Is there any way to test the water to see if there are disolved solids or anything that a cheaper filter wouldn't get. I know my partner has to pay for his water and we weren't thrilled at how much water we would sacrifice (and pay for)when using an RO, we were glad when we discovered that we didn't need one. :)
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
If you are on city water, you can generally get some kind of analysis of your water by the water company. When I had a well, I had my water tested by Kinetico, who sells water treatment systems. There may be county, state or federal agencies who will also test your water.

I understand your concern with ROs--they can certainly bypass a lot of water.
 

pcduck

Feed the soil, not the plant
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
14,298
Reaction score
7,281
I understand your concern with ROs--they can certainly bypass a lot of water.
A lot of this bypassed is still good water, it is just the RO membrane only allows so much water to be pass through it. If this bypassed water is a major concern the user would just need to reroute this water back to a water holding source. Then reuse this water over again. My example it as such..cistern to R/O filter where it splits to pure R/O and waste water, I then route this waste water back to my cistern, to be used again. If city water place this waste water into a 55 gallon drum and reuse by pumping it back through the filter.Just $0.02 :bolt::bong:
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
In the summer when I could use the bypassed water to water outside, I did so. I would not send it back through my RO however, I just used it for outside watering.
 

Latest posts

Top