Very Interesting & Beautiful Scanning Electron Microscopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaxforgandhi

On a mission...apparently
Reaction score
Hola MP,

I'm probably the only dork in the world who hasn't seen these, but I figured I'd post 'em anyway. I found them facinating and beautiful, even in monochrome. I make no claim to them; I found them, er, "somewhere," and the poster said they were culled from some huge Canadian hemp site before the government shut 'em down a few years ago. Sounds Like Marc Emery's outfit maybe. Then they appeared in a current, major circulation cannabis magazine. Anyway, enjoy!

1) Root Rhyzoid ("root hairs").

2) Pistillate Calyx.

3) Cystolithic "spike" hair and what appears to be a Capistate-Sessile Trichome.

4) Pistillate Sepal Calyx. Notice what appears to be a complete dearth of glandular or cystolithic trichomes. Weird.

111RhizoidHair.jpg

222PistillateCalyx.jpg

333CystolithicHair_CapitateSessile.jpg

444PistillateCalyx2.jpg

5) Pistillate Style.

6) Emergent Pistil/Calyx.

7) Pollen.

8) Capitate-Stalked Trichome. I really liked this one.

555PistilStyle - Copy.jpg

000PistillateJunction.jpg

666Pollen.jpg

777CapitateStalked.jpg

9) Capitate-Stalked Trichomes.

10) Leaf Cross-section showing stomata and guard cells in green, Cystolithic Hairs, Capitate-Sessile & Capitate-Stalked Trichomes. Interstingly, since cannabis is a diclotyledon you'd expect to see stomata mostly on the lower epidermis, and the mesophyllic orientation seems to support this as the view (The palisade layer is shown below the spongy layer), but the presence of both cap-sess and cap-stalked trichomes would be kinda weird on the bottom of the leaf, right? Any thoughts?

11) Cystoliths and Trichomes in polychrome. Amazing.

12) Low-Mag Apical Meristem in blooming phase, polychrome.

I hope you guyz liked 'em!

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

888CapitateStalked.jpg

999CrossSecLeafStomataTrich.jpg

aaaCystolithi_Trichs.jpg

bbb.jpg

I love this magnified art! It looks like some kind of magical fantasy land. Thanks Snax!

very cool thanks snax...wonder if some people are allergic to pot pollen??

Great photos and descriptions. Thank you.

My sister is allergic to hops pollen and pot pollen... anything in the family. The pollen is the worst for her. She was not a happy camper when I did not catch the males before they started pollinating indoors last time, especially when I put the pollinating male in her room.

Latest posts

Back