West Sac passes 45-day halt on new pot clinics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
West Sacramento has become the latest California city to temporarily halt the opening of medical marijuana dispensaries while officials decide how to regulate such businesses.

The city does not have any dispensaries operating within its limits, but city leaders received several inquiries over the past month about opening them.

The City Council approved a 45-day moratorium on the dispensaries in a vote late Wednesday. City planner Steve Rikala said officials would use the time to examine the public safety, zoning and legal issues surrounding medical marijuana businesses.

Dispensaries in California are not supposed to turn a profit but must function as cooperatives for members with physicians' recommendations. Some cities have permanently banned the clinics.

hxxp://shuurl.com/X5682

Sounds to me like alot of places in Cali are making it more difficult to open new shops, could this be the begining of the end of the good times in Cali!It seems like I read something everyday that make me think that it all could be crumbling I hope not, but if it is you can thank people who have taken advantage of the loop holes in the laws to open despensaries who are out for profit only instead of what there supposed to be about which is Compassion not profit! IMO

Phatpharmer

It aint diein', it be multiplyin'!

Loophole smoophole....It's our right to sell to one another...period. That is the way the law was written, and passed by the voters. It ain't the voters who are complainin', it's the cities because the CITIES have not figured out how to get thier coin out of the deal. As it is right now, taxes are only paid to the STATE and FEDERAL goverment...not the cities. So, basically, they are getting butthurt and folks are opening them faster then they can get thier "crap" together.

These damn cities fighting it are in a losing battle. They have fought numerous times in court, only to get knocked down. Not ONE city has been able to make MMJ an arrestable offence, and when they do arrest folks, they get sued and lose. That is what is happening, imo.

City regulation is what is needed. I do agree that a City can apply certain restrictions as far as store placement and such, but they need to apply a City Tax on MMJ sales, and all will be well.

Like this newsthread for instance : http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44218

Another good thing about what West Sac did was put a 45 DAY halt on new shops opening, not calling for them to be shut down. It is harder to retro tax then tax from the begining I would think legally. But, if your a dispensary operator, it would be wise to shut up and pay.

This was never unexpected. Everyone and their dog wants a piece of the new gold rush. There will be continued requests but eventually things will even out. This is a good thing because what will be left standing, hopefully, are the good ones. The fly-by-nite, badly run ripoff artests looking to turn a quick buck should begin to wither as people are presented with more and more choices. Look at it as 'raising the bar'. It may not go real high, but there will be a bar. Look already at some of the better establishments. They pay their vendors better, offer better and more product, run tighter and higher quality shops. These are the places that will call to more customers and hopefully be the ones standing at the end. Stoners aren't dummies and even we don't like to get burned. What will be cool is if at some point places like GreenAngel, Harborside and Oaksterdam become franchised in all the mmj legal states. Can't happen quickly enough IMO. I live in the heart of NorCal and there is not one single shop in my county. One begins to wonder how this could be.

Their are still a few counties that are still playing hard ball with store fronts, and not letting them open up at all. Prime example is Ventura County, just above LA and they are saying heck no to the store front ops, but letting delivery services due thier thing around the county.

Latest posts

Back