LED light output

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grodude

Reaction score
I was looking at the Platinum LED 150w. They say it replaces a 250w HPS and the average power draw is 50w for veg and 87w for bloom. I thought this was a good thing at first because it's putting out 150w of usable light and using less than 100w of power. My main reason for buying an LED is to save on electricity costs as it is very high in my area. Is my understanding of how it works correct, or is it only putting out 100w of light when drawing 100w of electricity? I'd also like to look at other brands to possibly find a cheaper light, but I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing quality if the average draw is less than the output stated.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sorry, but no your understanding is not correct. In fact, I don't quite understand the 100W draw, but only putting out 50W of usable light during veg and 87W of usable light during flowering. Those are the actual wattage numbers. And, regardless of the sales hype, it will not replace a 250W HPS.

One of the things I did learn about LEDs is that good LEDs are not cheap and cheap LEDs are not good. I got 2 larger LEDs a while ago trying to get rid of my 1000W HPS and the heat associated with it. Suffice it to say the 700W of LED did not even begin to replace the 1000W HPS. I have not given up on them, but they were certainly did not do what I was led to believe that they would do. They are not that much cooler and I did not get nearly the yield that I got from the HPS

Sorry, but no your understanding is not correct. In fact, I don't quite understand the 100W draw, but only putting out 50W of usable light during veg and 87W of usable light during flowering. Those are the actual wattage numbers. And, regardless of the sales hype, it will not replace a 250W HPS.

One of the things I did learn about LEDs is that good LEDs are not cheap and cheap LEDs are not good. I got 2 larger LEDs a while ago trying to get rid of my 1000W HPS and the heat associated with it. Suffice it to say the 700W of LED did not even begin to replace the 1000W HPS. I have not given up on them, but they were certainly did not do what I was led to believe that they would do. They are not that much cooler and I did not get nearly the yield that I got from the HPS

Yep,,,i agree.

Last edited:
I've seen these veg and produce product as well as HPS per watt......... check out their work on youtube

https://www.illumitex.com/illumitex-direct/

I take everything on Youtube with a grain of salt. Anyone can make anything look like they want to. I have seen videos where they purport to grow a "tree" with a few CFLs. However, back to the adage--good LEDs are not cheap. And these are not cheap. I do believe that watt for watt they can rival an HPS. This is not true of inexpensive LEDs though.

I take everything on Youtube with a grain of salt. Anyone can make anything look like they want to. I have seen videos where they purport to grow a "tree" with a few CFLs. However, back to the adage--good LEDs are not cheap. And these are not cheap. I do believe that watt for watt they can rival an HPS. This is not true of inexpensive LEDs though.

"My main reason for buying an LED is to save on electricity costs as it is very high in my area."

sorry I was just trying help him get a light that works and would probably pay for itself for him in under a year. I forgot LEDs are not tolerated here.

LED's and GH are tolerated here... Nice to see you G13.

not sure about that........ lots of peeps using them no longer post here........ why is that?......btw add coco to the list as well.

You mean PJ doesnt post here. Why,,,,, i never said nothen. :rofl:

You mean PJ doesnt post here. Why,,,,, i never said nothen. :rofl:

your just making my point.......... this site has lost its way........ no longer open to everyone's ideas and growing style........ and much of the intolerance comes from those who haven't posted a grow here in how long?......... I'm wasting my time here........ yall enjoy the very small circle you've created here.

Huh,,,G13,,,what the hell Bro,,,its like your looking for a fight. I always mess with PJ. I have sent ppl to him with thier LED questions many times when he posted here and at Marijuana Culture. You need to smoke a bowl or something. Damn

"My main reason for buying an LED is to save on electricity costs as it is very high in my area."

sorry I was just trying help him get a light that works and would probably pay for itself for him in under a year. I forgot LEDs are not tolerated here.

Sorry, I was just trying to save him money by not spending hundreds or possibly thousands on a light that may not do what he wants. I fail to see how what I posted could be considered intolerant of LEDs. It is more a be cautious because things are not always what they seem. You certainly do not believe that everything posted on YouTube is true do you? I have grown with LEDs--I am not just talking out of my a$$ here. There are many of us here that took someone's advise on inexpensive LEDs and were very disappointed...and have gone back to HPS. I was not even actually disagreeing with you, just advising caution. Jeez, not everything has to be a fight.

not sure about that........ lots of peeps using them no longer post here........ why is that?......btw add coco to the list as well.

What has happened to you G?
You haven't become a pot snob, have you?

LEDs are tolerated here, just as any style of growing is. There are many threads on LEDs here. PJs holier than thou attitude just rubs people the wrong way. As it has on numerous forums.

A couple of those 259 dollar light bars Illumitex makes will take care of most small growers veging needs for years at least 5 plus years imho........... just need the height in your space to keepem a couple of feet above your canopy so they don't burn your plants they're so powerful.......... and the electricity you save using them over t-5 will pay for them.

Hopefully, I'll be moving to a larger (3x3 or 4x4) tent in the not so distant future.

I can't wait to see how the SK-400+ works in those conditions.
it always worries me, that my results are skewed by the cabinet size and others wont get as good results.

I veg under an 85w draw reflector series

:48:

Your right G13 i have not posted a grow in along time,,,but i have not given anybody a hard time about LEDS they use for thier grows,,,hell Keef uses Leds. Yes i have given PJ a jab or two,,but thats because he was jabbing 1st. Lol
like i said i sent ppl his way. Im not gonna fight with ya Little Brother. Maybe your just having a bad day,,,i have them too,,,,here,,,take a toke,,,. :48: :48: :48: yehaaaaaaaaaaa

Hell,,,if my boneheaded kids would get thier crap together where they could keep my Granddaughter all the time,,,i could grow again. And if i could afford the freaking GOOD LEDS,,,i would give them a try. I have grown with nothing but T5s,,,so i am not against trying different lights.

Quote from Duck,,,,,LEDs are tolerated here, just as any style of growing is. There are many threads on LEDs here. PJs holier than thou attitude just rubs people the wrong way. As it has on numerous forums.

:yeahthat:

I didn't call you out hopper........ and I didn't say anything about pj......... but I did know how this thread would go and who would post in it........ if that makes me a "snob" to y'all well it just further proves my point.

Latest posts

Back