10x10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highman

berry berry sneaky!
Reaction score
I am going to start a scrog grow at a friends house in a spare bedroom that is 10x10 i am not going to use this whole space, i will explain to you all what my plan is so feel free to comment. also i have some questions.

the system will be a ebb/flow scrog design
6 plants per tray
2 2x3 trays
2 32 gallon res.
2 1000 watt lights

this setup will be sitting in the middle of the room directly under the lights.. my concern is will i be wasting light without using mylar or keeping it in an enclosed structure? i figure since im going with a scrog setup i wont have to worry about side light it will all be directed towards the top anyways.

my main concern is yield i would like to see 3 zs a plant. If anyone feels my open room scrog design will not produce my expected yields and you have a better idea im all ears!

if you get that light reflected back onto plants def would get you closer to ur 3 zip goal. id use a panda film curtain. so ur looking to pull a bow in a 2x3 scrog? Good Luck! if this is your 1st grow then i believe youll pull alot less figure 1.5-2 zips max. sorry this is JMO.

If you read properly the first time you would have noticed there is 2 of everything so 12 plants and 2 2x3 trays. no this is not my first grow and 2 zips from a 2x3 scrog is pathetic. 6 plants under a 1000watt has more than enough potential to produce a half bow it just depends on the grower. Do you even have any experience with scrog?

my main concern is the setup being in the middle of the room, I only have experience with closet grows. my colas always layed against the wall and had the white walls for reflection. Does anybody have experience in growing in a big room like mine with out comletely transforming the room?

but the curtain is a good idea thanks

Man you should easy pull 3 oz a plant but i think you need to enclose the sides, i would anyways ;)
I got something like 4-5 oz each of my first lot i smoking now.

I got 6 in a 4x4.5 ft area that are topped and trained so there multi colas ( sog i guess ) with the lower junk removed that are something like 3 week into flower and i'm pretty sure i'll beat those weights this time.
There under 2 600's.
Gona drop mesh over em to tie em up soon :)

If i can do it anyone can :)

As i said though i'd be wanting to enclose for the extra light

Yeah mine a back bedroom, i just sectioned it off with white sheeting.
You start with one section then you build another for veg and flower then a nursery, then you need to dry lol you end up using the whole of the room anyway lol, or is that just me :)

Hi,

Does it have to be in the center of the room? If you know how much space you'll need for the layout use the corner of your room two of the walls and cover them with Panda film. For the other two walls, use Panda film as a reflective curtain as docfish suggested but if you want it light tight you may consider some type of temporary framework to attach Panda film to. You could use light 1 x 1 wood or I have a buddy who used 1" PVC to make a frame for the film for a similar setup. He had an L shaped PVC frame with Panda Film attached to it with tarp zippers for a door. He uses a window A/C just outside of the grow space and his inline fan pulls enough air through his two 600hps' and flowing through the cracks into his room and the temps stay in the 70's. You'll definitely do better if you can keep the reflective walls closer to the light source.

Happy Growing!

the only problem i have with sectioning off the grow site is the fact that heat will build up in that location. i thought if i used an open inviornment the heat would be easily managable.. what if i just used mylar for 3 of the walls an just left the front open would that be enough lite distribution?

highman said:
If you read properly the first time you would have noticed there is 2 of everything so 12 plants and 2 2x3 trays. no this is not my first grow and 2 zips from a 2x3 scrog is pathetic. 6 plants under a 1000watt has more than enough potential to produce a half bow it just depends on the grower. Do you even have any experience with scrog?

You came on here asking for opinions, he gave you a reasonable one and you ripped him... what's wrong with you? Don't you read?

He didn't say you should expect 2 zips per table, he meant per plant, that was how he was answering you because THAT IS HOW YOU PHRASED THE QUESTION. Not realizing how important it is to reflect light in your garden makes you seem like a NOOB. Read his response again, it makes sense. He said you were looking to pull a bow off a 2x3 SCROG, this is EXACTLY what you are saying you want to do. 6 plants in each scrog at 3oz a plant is 18oz, just over a bow. He said you should expect more like 2 per plant, this is not an unreasonable statement to make because you are here asking basic questions about light reflection. It is not reasonable for him to assume that you are a decent grower.

Furthermore, you are worrying about detail Q when you need to be worrying about detail A. Making statements like "My Main concern is yield" before you have even SET UP THE GARDEN show you to be a very inexperienced grower. You haven't even set anything up yet and you are here inquiring about yield expectations. Don't knock Docwrinkle, your comments are the ones that show a poor understanding.

But coming on here and asking a question and then ripping someone who tries to help you is pretty much biting the hand that feeds you. You probably won't get many posts in your thread after a response like that, no one is going to want to help you.

Saw that one coming from the dugout. How to win friends and influence people: grow copius bud. :D

that went south fast. After reading this I STILL wonder how(high) people can get angry or mad so fast. Anywho, the whole ? was about lite reflection and distribution. My opinion is that all of the answers are correct actually. with 2 lites that size your heat will be high so the open concept covers that. BUt,I also feel you loose a bunch of lumens by lighting the entire room. when enclosed you direct your lite to the plants. I read the post so I know you can also reflect your lite back to ur plants. Anyway,goodluck. On this board or at least for me it(reefer) is for medicine. I am ACTUALLY sick and this helps me a bunch.Not many peeps care for commercial growers.:D 4 ur grow

highman said:

my main concern is the setup being in the middle of the room, I only have experience with closet grows. my colas always layed against the wall and had the white walls for reflection. Does anybody have experience in growing in a big room like mine with out comletely transforming the room?

but the curtain is a good idea thanks

hey there sizzle chest! i did read thoroughly, did you? my math was a lil off. must of been the chitty bub hash i made:D . yeah 2 of everything i get that & if you opened ur eyes youd see that i was meaning 2/plant not 2 zips for 6 plants. so @ best with your narrow mindedness i predict youll get @ best 1/2 # PER SCROG! thats a half pound not a half number. oh & yeah ive done a scrog w/ 5 plants 3x3 under 600w & pulled just shy of 14 ounces. but ill never tell you MY secret.

peace out!:D

DFW

NYC thanks for the words.

What's the plan for ventilation to control heat and odor? Do you have A/C for the room? Regardless of how open or closed the design is, to keep down the temps in the 70's you're going to have to ventilate and probably use A/C if you're running two 1K HID lights in a bedroom. I tried unsuccessfully to rely on only house central A/C to control temps. I was running two 430w HPS and 4" ducting on air cooled conventional hoods with a squirrel cage fan years ago. I switched to 6" inline high output fans several years ago and it does a much better job with the heat. I'd suggest looking into a 6" ventilation setup for your lights, a window A/C and a carbon filter to control odors. You can keep your filter in the grow room and use a lower rated CFM fan to pull air through the filter and exhaust the scrubbed air back into your grow room.

Happy Growing...

highman said:
the only problem i have with sectioning off the grow site is the fact that heat will build up in that location. i thought if i used an open environment the heat would be easily manageable.. what if i just used mylar for 3 of the walls an just left the front open would that be enough lite distribution?

Right, i not the most experienced grower to say the least but to say i done my homework just doesnt cover it lol.
Take it any way you want but from what i've read, heard or been straight out told having it more enclosed so as to take advantage of your lumen's/light available will far out way any cost of setting up your ventilation.
I just leave the entrance partially open and a floor fan blowing cool extra air in but thats as well as intake and extraction.
Build it so the area can be sealed and still be fine from the start.
You will soon make back any cost you put into your extraction :)

dirtyolsouth said:
What's the plan for ventilation to control heat and odor? Do you have A/C for the room? Regardless of how open or closed the design is, to keep down the temps in the 70's you're going to have to ventilate and probably use A/C if you're running two 1K HID lights in a bedroom. I tried unsuccessfully to rely on only house central A/C to control temps. I was running two 430w HPS and 4" ducting on air cooled conventional hoods with a squirrel cage fan years ago. I switched to 6" inline high output fans several years ago and it does a much better job with the heat. I'd suggest looking into a 6" ventilation setup for your lights, a window A/C and a carbon filter to control odors. You can keep your filter in the grow room and use a lower rated CFM fan to pull air through the filter and exhaust the scrubbed air back into your grow room.

Happy Growing...

the cool thing about the room is that the central A/C is located directly above the room. The Room stayes at least 4 degrees colder than the rest of the house also the room never sees daylight. however i plan to scrub the room and exhuast into the dryer vent. my lights will be air cooled so i am hoping the temps will be optimal but if not i will adjust accordingly. thanks for the insight.

Its sounds like getting extraction sorted will be easy so i would without doubt have 4 walls enclosed even if there is a door ( or sheet ) left half open.
Oh yeah another good reason to enclose is one i have just learned.
Pests.
As i said mines sectioned off in a room and the window is left open in that room to get fresh air sounds fair enough apart from the damn flies laying eggs on my babies and having the gnats in the roots.
Totally enclosing it and filtering the incoming air will be how the next room is built :)

If you are going to exhaust through your dryer vent, you are going to need some kind of damper--otherwise, the air can come back through the dryer.

Latest posts

Back