120 volt or 240 volt? What will be the differences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted. I tried a search but could not come p with anything. What problems will I see if I use 120 volt ballasts as opposed to the 240? I obviously would perfer not to have to run 240v to the room I am going to use. Are there going to be some disadvantages to that or will the 120 be sufficient?

You should be fine with 120V as long as you don't overload that circuit. If you plan on running a bunch of lights, pumps, and fans etc. then it might be good to run a 220V for just the lights.
Really depends on what size it is going to be.
It's also very good idea to map you circuitry prior to setting up. See what circuits you are going to be using. Lived in a house that the mapping was just insane. Bedroom circuit ran the hall and bath too, then one outlet in the living room was on the same circuit as another bedroom....just crazy, I think the electrician that did it was on something. lol. So it's good to be familiar with the circuitry and know what loads are on it.
You can map it by yourself, but having someone by the ciruit panel and one checking the outlets and switches is a good idea and easier.
Check out the elec. section lots of useful info HERE

Mutt said:
You should be fine with 120V as long as you don't overload that circuit. If you plan on running a bunch of lights, pumps, and fans etc. then it might be good to run a 220V for just the lights.
Really depends on what size it is going to be.
It's also very good idea to map you circuitry prior to setting up. See what circuits you are going to be using. Lived in a house that the mapping was just insane. Bedroom circuit ran the hall and bath too, then one outlet in the living room was on the same circuit as another bedroom....just crazy, I think the electrician that did it was on something. lol. So it's good to be familiar with the circuitry and know what loads are on it.
You can map it by yourself, but having someone by the ciruit panel and one checking the outlets and switches is a good idea and easier.
Check out the elec. section lots of useful info HERE
Cool, right on. Do you recommend me finding a independent contractor as opposed to a actual company out of the phone book. Obviously I want to be discreet. What suggestion would you have if they just casually asked what it was for?

you dont need a general or a electrician. but if you want someone to map it out just look up a electrician but it will be outrageous $. what you can do to map it out in the room is got to a hardware store and by an electic tester. ask someone for help just tell them you need to check witch outlets are on what circuits to lable you box or something like that. and turn off a circuit and then check witch outlets are one it buy the ones that arent on. the tester will thell you how it works. 240 is just nice to have cause its effecient but your lights need to be hooked up for it good luck

I am an electrician. I can answer your questions, and could walk you through wiring a new circuit or two. Be discreet. two 120 circuits are better than a 240....

oh I meant a freind or roomy by the panel helpin ya....not a GC. saves time runnin back n forth.

Capt. Skinx said:
I am an electrician. I can answer your questions, and could walk you through wiring a new circuit or two. Be discreet. two 120 circuits are better than a 240....
Awesome, thanks. As the time gets closer i will give you a message. I have a little electrical experience.

it depends on what you are running. I shouldn't have asumed this cat had a small setup like me. If you have a crapload of stuff to run, 240 might be better, but it is more conspicuous and produces more heat and Amprage. sorry to come off all "i know better"-ish..... JMHO

it is more conspicuous and produces more heat and Amprage. sorry to come off all "i know better"-ish..... JMHO
Oh, i'm genuinely interested. I don't know much about electricity just how to not burn my house down with it. Now when you say it produces more amprage, does that mean it uses more juice than 120? Thanks, beforehand.

It does. Twice the juice. A 20A 120V curcuit is half the Amprage of a 20A 220V curcuit. One is a single 110V leg, while the other is TWO 110V legs, adding to 220 Volts.....also, a significant difference in wire guage depending on Amps. A 30A220V curcuit will require a minnimum of 8g wire, perhaps even 6guage.

P.S. There really isn't such thing as Single phase 240A. It's 220 or sometimes 208A.
Get's confusing when you get down to the current resistance....

Voltage divided by wattage equals amps, right? 120 divided by 250 equals .48 amps. 240 divided by 250 equals .96. Are you sure about your posts?

Capt. Skinx said:
It does. Twice the juice. A 20A 120V curcuit is half the Amprage of a 20A 220V curcuit. One is a single 110V leg, while the other is TWO 110V legs, adding to 220 Volts.....also, a significant difference in wire guage depending on Amps. A 30A220V curcuit will require a minnimum of 8g wire, perhaps even 6guage.

A 20a 120v crkt is half the WATTAGE of a 20a 220v crkt.

e=IXR
W=EXI

Watts divided by volts = amps

1200 watts @ 120v = 10 amps
1200watts @ 240v = 5 amps

U got er.... my lights and fans are all running 220 (240) so I can use only one breaker to run the whole setup.

***Also if you are on a demand type of meter... like some commercial and most industrial properties, you will save considerable amounts of money on your bill by having a lower starting amp draw.***

Growdude said:
A 20a 120v crkt is half the WATTAGE of a 20a 220v crkt.

e=IXR
W=EXI

Watts divided by volts = amps

1200 watts @ 120v = 10 amps
1200watts @ 240v = 5 amps

Latest posts

Back