1st Real Grow (Budget/Micro)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerrorAP2

You're so cool, Brewster!
Reaction score
I am really excited about this, as it is my first real grow. What I mean, is that I never put the effort into the correct lighting, soil, etc. I bought all of my materials in preparation. Right now I am using 2 42W (150W Equivalent) CFL's that put out 2400 Lumen each (Each one using a 5.5" Clamp Lamp/ Reflector). For soil, I decided to try Scott's Potting Soil. Once flowering time comes, I will be switching to 2 150W HPS's that put out 16.5K Lumen each (Each one using a 10.5" Clamp Lamp/ Reflector). I also have a Digital Thermometer set up and so far it hasn't read over 80F (The sensor is about 5-6 inches away from the light). I might look into ventilation, just to get some fresh air in.

I will try to update this as often as I can.

Update 10:01PM February 11th- I had been trying to Germinate some bag seeds I got from my friends at work. I put them in a damp paper towel and let them do there thing. 4 days later and I had no sign of a tap root. I then searched the boards and found that I needed a dark, warm place to put them. I did so and wouldn't you know it; 5 hours later, I come home from school, and one of them has a root :D :) I uploaded the picture below and if you look closely, you can spot which one popped! :D

Here are some pictures of my equipment and my "setup":

New Progress 001.jpg

New Progress 002.jpg

New Progress 003.jpg

New Progress 004.jpg

New Progress 005.jpg

New Progress 006.jpg

One of the pictures I have is current and one is dated. The picture where the storage bin is painted white on the inside, is what I am currently using in my setup. Sorry if there was any confusion. :)

Looking decent over there. You would be better off using your hps lamps through vegging and flowering in my opinion.

Congrats on germing your seeds! Any idea on what strain they are?

Keep up the nice work :).

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Looking decent over there. You would be better off using your hps lamps through vegging and flowering in my opinion.

Congrats on germing your seeds! Any idea on what strain they are?

Keep up the nice work :).

I honestly have no clue as to the strains. I am completely in the dark. Although, I did overhear my friend saying something about Purple something or other (Maybe Poison?) (I wasn't really listening).

As for the lights, I'm already getting worried. I just went in there, and the thermometer was reading 82-83F. I am now worried that I will need to get some sort of ventilation in there, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I know if I were to use the HPS lamps, that the temps would be much hotter then they already are with the CFL's.

I'm heading over to Wal Mart now to see what kind of fans are available. I will report back tomorrow.

Edit: I just got back from Wal Mart and they had nothing I needed (I should have known and not wasted my gas). I will go to Best Buy tomorrow and buy some computer fans and see what I can do.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get the computer fan I bought, mounted. It is an 80mm fan. I just scrapped my last box trying to cut a hole in it. I really need some help as soon as possible, so I can get some ventilation going.

Edit: I found another bin and was very gentle with it. I have the fan mounted and it is blowing fine. My temperature rose about 1-2F but the humidity dropped 2%. I am at a steady 76-77F right now. The flan placement will be temporary, as when the plants grow larger, it will be blowing on them.

yeah dude use a table fan. I have a low budget set up and use a small table fan to cool and move the air. I pretty much point it at my lights. My temp when lights on is never over 77 degrees. Plus when lights on I leave the door open to the closet.

This is excellent news. The funny thing is, when I was at Wal Mart last night, I was going to buy one. I thought it might be too powerful so I opted for a computer fan.

When I get the new fan, I will take the computer fan and invert it into a exhaust fan. Thank you guys.

Hopefully I can update you guys and gals soon, with a sprout. :)

TerrorAP2 said:
This is excellent news. The funny thing is, when I was at Wal Mart last night, I was going to buy one. I thought it might be too powerful so I opted for a computer fan.

When I get the new fan, I will take the computer fan and invert it into a exhaust fan. Thank you guys.

Hopefully I can update you guys and gals soon, with a sprout. :)

exactly what i did with my 2 comp fans made them into exhaust used the 4in fan for intake and cirulating air in the box;)

The first picture below is of my "new setup". I broke the old bin but found a better, deeper one to replace it. The second picture shows the new temperature readings with my new 80mm computer fan. This goes to show just how a little bit goes a long way with cooling. The last picture is of my new shelf for my "cheap" Wal Mart fan I plan to buy. Again, thank you flaboy420 for bringing that fan to my attention.

New Progress 007.jpg

New Progress 008.jpg

New Progress 009.jpg

Update February 12th 11:21PM

I came home from school tonight and another seed had cracked.

I got my new Wal-Mart fan and everything is working okay so far. I really hope my temperature will stay around 78-80F. Of course, the lower the better.

I need some help, hopefully, in a timely manner.

Since the new seed cracked, I have both of my lights on now, instead of just one. I am really worried as the temperature is now hovering around 81-82F with 50+% humidity. Ideally, I would like to drop the humidity to under 50% and the temperature another 3 or 4 degrees.

Any suggestions?

New Progress.jpg

Update February 14th 1:59PM

I woke up this morning to check my babies and one of them sprouted :) There was no sign of anything last night at 12AM, so I decided to use a little trick I forgot about and covered the tops of the planters with Saran Wrap. Wouldn't you know it, it worked :D!

I'm still waiting on the other one to push through. Hopefully by the end of today.

New Progress 010.jpg

Honestly, I will just take them out of the container. By then, I will be using the HPS bulbs and I won't need the container anymore. I decided that I am going to try and Veg these as long as I can or until they get around 2' tall.

Update February 15th 9:21PM

I never posted the picture of my other baby, so I'm doing it now. It looks like my oldest is starting to stretch a bit, which is weird because I have it right under the light.

I think I need to buy another fan. I decided to measure the temperature at the plant and it was around 86F. The grow box itself is around 80-82F, which is fine for me. I really want to try and find a cooling fan (A/C capabilities), to keep my room as cool as possible. The only problem is, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Here are my babies, side by side:

New Progress 011.jpg

Update February 17th 10:59PM

Though it is disappointing, I have decided to pull the plug on my current grow. I feel that I wasn't prepared enough and would like to start again. I will be changing everything in my next grow. I will be "ditching" the CFL's for an HPS system (400W or 600W Digital Greenhouse) and I will be getting rid of my Rubber Made bin for something else. Basically, everything I've done in this grow, will be better, more planned out in my next grow.

I have also decided to try an Auto Flowering strain, due to my size limitations. Wish me luck guys. I hope to report back in a few weeks, once I can start affording some better supplies.

you could have grown the with them light till you got the hps then flower the with the hps many people grow with cfls for the veg stage

Latest posts

Back