5 gallon buckets in the trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a neat idea. I have a friend in S. Alabama who was crazy enough to take an enormous holly tree and kind of hollow out the inside of it. He built a platform maybe 8' on a side, then planted his garden on top of it. By fall the grass filled in the hole and you couldn't tell it was there unless you were looking for it.

Neat idea. A lot of work, but clever as hell. Good luck and take photos if you go through with it.

yeah alot of work lol the holly tree thing would have been cool to see lol he got any pics???

Plants on the ground would be a better idea but.. This has been done and folks that do this at any size will run their drip lines right into the trees and to their pots.

I have heard stories of after helicopters spotting the plants, the ground crews walking around for hours and seeing nothing.

i would imagine that his plant/s have turned into trees now ! 5 months later !

edward said:
i have a tree stand that has a fold up latter that straps to the tree and am going to go 20 ft up and cut off a branch and notch it on top to suport a 5 gal. bucket. what kind of soil and addatives would i need to use. im in south east alaska and there will be long hrs of light. im planin on going back every week to water. dear all over the place is way im gettin up off the ground. there is enough privace that i can take them down and supper crop the only way to get to my spot is by boat and then canoe to shore . i planted in the ground last year and dear thought it was an all u can eat salad bar. so i think this will work any advise would be helpfull

Why not build a deer fence? Why 20 feet up? Very TALL deer? Sounds sorta dangerous, carrying a heavy bucket down the ladder to water it, or carrying heavy bucket of water UP to the plant... A 20 foot fall is enough to break a leg, alone in the Boonies?
I dunno...I think a bucket will need more than a once-a-week watering, especially when the plant gets big.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm kinda with Flyin High, easier way to keep deer/rabbit out. BUTTT, i'd love to see ya do it. Think it'd look cool-hope u take pics. Be careful :)

You dont carry the buckets of water up and down. You climb up with the end of a string. Then pull the buckets up. Pretty easy.

I knew a guy in Florida that grew his up a tree. He would toss a rope over a high branch and pull the plant up. Then tie it off. To water and check on it he would lower it.
Tried to keep it away from the deer. And ended up getting destroyed by squirrels.

He would toss a rope over a high branch and pull the plant up. Then tie it off. To water and check on it he would lower it.
Tried to keep it away from the deer. And ended up getting destroyed by squirrels.

Spearchunker!!!!! The guy needs his exercise or he wudve thought of that. Now leave him and his 5gallon bucket, ladder, and water alone:D now he's gunna have to a chickenwire fence around his treegrow to keep squirrels out- :eek: Way to Spear-j/kiddin

I've done something simiiar. I used old growth redwood stumps ( most are already hollow on the inside and mine was 8' across inside. A few well chosen milk crates and viola.....drainage no prob and no exposure except directly over head and some camo cover fixed that whenever i heard helicopters ...

How is it you all can go on and on and on......... about complete rubbish? The guy has never been back. Never did grow. And still wets the damm bed. But, lets speculate some more on this nonsense, shall we??
*rolls eyes

MM, i'm terrible at lookin at original date of post. TY for the reminder of this guy being gone. Stilll caught my "head" even though way too much work for me. Maybe someone got sumthing outa "our" throwing" this around agin. Is that avitar a "recent " pic of u?

Nice look mountain man-come visit the mountain i live at, i'm sure we'd have alotta fun with u

hey man i got these areator sticks that u screw a 2liter bottle into, i cant remember where from tho thier like aqua globes but hold wayyyy more

hXXp://www.carolwrightgifts.com/Outdoor-Garden/Lawn-Yard/Watering-Spikes/17460.cfm?criteria=17460

u guys are gonna love these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know a few cops people in chooopers aint lookin 4 one plaant, even if they saw ten i doubt theyd land

mj loves to dry out between waterings. Constantly wet feet, make mj ladies unhappy...

Well, just got an instant message from mountain man. He called me a child and wud never be the man he is. Also he said you wanna play, don't make me laugh--- I kinda like the tree thing, and was glad it was rehashed even though i'm much too lazy for it-IMO -anyone with an avitar like this person, shud expect a lil ridicule-i apologize as i really didn't mean to make this mountain man upset-being a suited city boy, i wud know nothing about living in the mountains-j/kiddin- moderators, im me and let me know if i'm ever outa line- "forever Young"--

I followed this thread when I first joined. Couldn't climb a tree anymore to save my life. Wish we could have heard more on how it turned out. Young people can do some amazing things. Do know a old fella years back, cured his plants in trees. He tied a small rope on the whole plants, had his son climb the trees and drape the rope over a branch. Then he just pulled the plant up to dry and cure. Didn't mold either. He has passed away several years ago. But people still talk about his product. We always thought it was funny cause the cops were at his place every couple of months. He drank shine and would get wrathy and shoot his gun at the stars. Cops would come and tell him to knock it off. Out back that weed would be hanging up in those trees. LOL
Talk about drawing attention to yourself. I miss that old fart.

Latest posts

Back