$50 Tax!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_Tokie

Reaction score
I was looking at the NORMAL web site and they had a segment on there, where they were talking about making MJ legal in Cal. But the kicker to the story was they want to impose a $50 an OZ tax on MJ. WOW thats kinda steep!!! But if thats what it takes to make MJ legal then so be it. What do others think about the tax?...take care..

I dont think thats bad. Like you said, "if thats what it takes."
Look at the condition of Cali at the moment. Its awful and the money is needed. Help things like lowering the near 25% illiteracy rate, or slowing gang violence.
Even if it was more I wouldnt mind it. My state needs it bad too, I love her and want things to improve for her. So Id be more than happy to pay any price for that FREEDOM of the choice.

for the price of a 1/4 oz plus the 50 tax would be 175.00 per qt oz. i dont know how much they pay in cali but i bet its not that much but yea i would pay the tax if it keeps me outa the slammer

doe's the terminator know about this mj deal in his state. i think if the big cheese hears about this ...( ill be back) will be gonskies.. just a preminition there tokie .. peace man !

Are growers to be taxed? Or is that tax just for people who sell it?
When Bulgaria joined the EU the union imposed a tax on all home brewed alcohol.. Wine, brandy and such... Everyone just laughed.. I don't think a single euro has been payed in tax for home made alcohol...

How are they gonna tax my grow? It's like taxing my income....
They only see what I want them to see :hubba:
I guess I'll always be growing my smoke... No matter if it's legal or not...
:lama:

SPEARCHUCKER said:
I dont think thats bad. Like you said, "if thats what it takes."
Look at the condition of Cali at the moment. Its awful and the money is needed. Help things like lowering the near 25% illiteracy rate, or slowing gang violence.
Even if it was more I wouldnt mind it. My state needs it bad too, I love her and want things to improve for her. So Id be more than happy to pay any price for that FREEDOM of the choice.
which north korea state is that bro ! LOL

California Assmblyman Proposes Tax On Weed
Marijuana is big business in California, estimated to be the state's largest cash crop and a $14-billion industry. State Assemblyman Tom Ammiano has proposed legislation that would make the drug legal and regulated in a manner similar to that of alcohol. Measure AB 390 would allow people over 21 to buy, sell, and posses pot. Of course the stoner vote is all sewn up. And as the (soon-to-be-defunct) SF Chronicle reports:

[The measure] has the backing of Betty Yee, who chairs the state Board of Equalization, which collects taxes in California. An analysis by the agency concluded the state would collect $1.3 billion a year from tax revenues and a $50-an-ounce levy on retail sales if marijuana were legal.

This is the article I was refering to guys...take care..

Not to mention the $5,000 permit fee up front to supply it (ref. NCH). This, I think, will keep the price about the same. There won't be a billion people putting up that five grand every year to supply your taxed dope so supply and demand will remain the healthy conerstone that it is today. Besides, think of it as a 25% sales tax. That is a bit steep. $50 an ounce? Just think of the poor sap that wants to grow industrial hemp.. He would have to pay an unjustified and outragous amount out of pocket just to grow a weed. I think it stinks myself.

The problems with Ca. don't stem from not enough taxes. It's all about spending habits. And THAT is where things need to be fixed. A few billion a year will do nothing if we can't curb the hemoraging. I think we should start with CAMP and welfare, two money sucking holes in our state budget.

Sir_Tokie said:
I was looking at the NORMAL web site and they had a segment on there, where they were talking about making MJ legal in Cal. But the kicker to the story was they want to impose a $50 an OZ tax on MJ. WOW thats kinda steep!!! But if thats what it takes to make MJ legal then so be it. What do others think about the tax?...take care..

This is why we dont want MJ "legalized". In legalization, the government becomes the "dealer". Screw that. What we want is for MJ to be DECRIMINALIZED. Simply made NOT illegal to grow or possess. Then we could grow ou our weed in the frint yard. The government has no more "right" to tax our MJ than it does to tax our home grown tomatoes or basil or parseley. What we grow in our home garden is OUR business.
The state of Nevada "legalized" prostitution outside the city limits of Las Vegas. However, in doing so, the government took the job of "pimp". In the legal brothels of Nevadathe government has placed it's rules of how, who, how many and at what charge prostitutes can work.. The women must LIVE on the premises, must have their photos filed at law enforcement agencies, must show records of their dealings and are not allowed to be seen in the company of a male other than a family member within the city limits of Las vegas. This is a clear violation of these women's Civil Rights---but that's the way it is. This loss of Rights is the price paid for "legalization".

Using the "legalization" of prostitution as an indicator of what happens when a previously illegal act becomes legalized, it's easy to see why we dont want MJ LEGALIZED with the government as Dealer. Let's push for the DECRIMINALIZATION of the growing and possession of MJ, instead. Bear in mind that IF MJ becomes "legal", it will likely still be ILLegal to grow it! They will sell it at government established prices with government controlled taxes and most likely all buyers will have to be registered.

"DECRIMINALIZATION, NOT LEGALIZATION"
LassChance

astrobud said:
for the price of a 1/4 oz plus the 50 tax would be 175.00 per qt oz. i dont know how much they pay in cali but i bet its not that much but yea i would pay the tax if it keeps me outa the slammer

The $50 tax would be on an ounce, the tax on your qaurter oz. would only be $12.50. Certainly well worth it.
If nothing else, this social experiment would prove that Mj smokers are as law abbiding as the average citzen ( wich may, or maynot, be a positive thing:rolleyes: ).
As far as the tax revenues being used to combat illiteracy and other social ills, lets remember who's collecting and spending this money.:eek:
The positive outcome of legalisation would be impossible to deny, even the staunchest opponents in the bible belt would have no choice but concede, or be nationaly exposed for the stiff-necked dimwits they are.

"DECRIMINALIZATION, NOT LEGALIZATION"
I agree. I would just like to be able to smoke my own weed or sit and share some with a friend and it not be illegal, not bothered about being able to buy it from shops or anything and i certainly dont intend to line the govt's pockets by paying daft amounts of tax that will do little more than buy the corrupt twits some second homes or pay there expenses.

If they gona be dumb about it and over charge then they just leaving the door open to be undercut by the black market and people will still buy off the dealers anyway lol.

Lots of people brew their own beer and lots of it, I'm sure the same will apply.

Grow your own, or go to the Bodega and hook it up. The tax will help the whole state out, so why not! :)

Muddy Paws said:
Lots of people brew their own beer and lots of it, I'm sure the same will apply.

Grow your own, or go to the Bodega and hook it up. The tax will help the whole state out, so why not! :)

I agree, I've been a homebrewer for over a decade and found that my own beer is much better than the mass produced stuff. People who grow thier owm smoke would have the same leg up on mass produced weed. You'd have to think that growing for profit would lead to lower qaulity weed. It would be grown for quantity not quality, speed dried instead of cured, and probably in be classified like alchohol is by proof. You'd end up with the winecooler of weed up to the champain of cannabis. And prices and quantity would be corresponding.:)

Ummm ... I think a much closer case would be alcohol. It is easier, really, to build a still and 150 gallons worth of fermentation. So when you think about it:
1. alcohol is a LEGAL drug.
2. it is NOT legal to make your own stronger version (i.e. bootleg liquor)
3. serious penalities are imposed for doing so.

result: do people generally make their own liquor? not as far as I am aware.
or consider tobacco. Is it legal to grow and cure your own tobacco? I don't know, but I doubt it.
Is it any coincidence that the ATF is responsible for not only firearms but alcohol and tobacco?
I predict the ATF will become the ATMF

leafminer said:
Ummm ... I think a much closer case would be alcohol. It is easier, really, to build a still and 150 gallons worth of fermentation. So when you think about it:
1. alcohol is a LEGAL drug.
2. it is NOT legal to make your own stronger version (i.e. bootleg liquor)
3. serious penalities are imposed for doing so.

result: do people generally make their own liquor? not as far as I am aware.
or consider tobacco. Is it legal to grow and cure your own tobacco? I don't know, but I doubt it.
Is it any coincidence that the ATF is responsible for not only firearms but alcohol and tobacco?
I predict the ATF will become the ATMF

Acctualy you probably can legaly grow tobacco because you still couldn't turn it into the tabacco that people smoke. The smoked kind of tabacco is treated with dozens of chemicals not legaly available to the public due to their toxic nature. If you smoked untreated tabacco you'd quit smoking pronto.

The chemicals added to tobacco add little to the flavor.
Like marijuana tobacco must be properly cured to reach the flavor and smokeability you desire.
Most of the chemicals that are added to tobacco are to increase addictability.
My grandfather (a farmer) grew his own tobacco for years and passed the knowledge to me.

The idea is to tax medical marijuana $50 per OZ. Which is totally retarded. I live in California and they already tax marijuana at the clubs by 9% which is standard sales tax. To charge $50 per OZ will only loose the state money as most of the people who buy from the clubs will just turn to "dealers" for a lower price. Once again the government misses the point entirely when they get greedy. California makes over $100,000,000 in marijuana tax as it is, if we could keep the DEA from stealing weed and cash from clubs (and I suspect they are the ones making "grit weed" and reselling it) we could have more clubs and make more cash from just regular sales tax.

PEAS!

Latest posts

Back