600 watt bulb ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowin

Reaction score
i want to vertically hang a 600 watt bulb wihtout the reflector can i do that without a ballast? thanks

To broaden THG's very correct answer to match your vague question, every 600 watt grow light that I know of, including Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium, Mercury Vapor (even though it isn't commonly used in growing) and any variation of florescent (except CFLs and then only because they have built in ballasts)[no I don't know of any CFLs that powerful, but there maybe one somewhere]require a separate ballast.

However you can accomplish the same thing by using a non-reflector equipped cool tube or just a socket connected to a ballast; but to the best of my knowledge you must use a ballast, either with an attached socket or one mounted remotely on the end of a cord/electrical cable with or without a reflector/hood/housing. However, you must watch out for getting too much eat into the plants from too close of a proximity to the plants.

Another thing to consider in that kind of use is that it exposes you to shock/ bulb explosion risks IF you do any foliar spraying/insecticide spraying until the bulb is powered off and allowed to cool.

Great smoking everyone and Happy 2010.

I run mine vert no cool tube and have the plants around it and CFLs and small HPS on the other sides and rotate the plants every now n then. My socket is remote from the ballast housing. I run a 400 watt metal halide universal position lamp and my small 70w HPS is universal and the ballast is remote as well. My CFLs have the ballast attached and got double 42watt soft white at 45 degree angles. My fans intake blows up under the canopy and my exhaust is a squirrel fan going up into the attic.
hope that covers what ever your planning.

and yes all HID (High Intensity Discharge) or a flo type lamps need a ballast to operate ;)

not to sidetrack, but VHO Flouro's are pretty nice in regards to lumen output.

But im with THG, 600w's worth of flouros is gonna match the heat output of a 600w hps.

Just the flouros distribute heat a little more evenly.

energy is energy.

JBonez said:
not to sidetrack, but VHO Flouro's are pretty nice in regards to lumen output.

But im with THG, 600w's worth of flouros is gonna match the heat output of a 600w hps.

Just the flouros distribute heat a little more evenly.

energy is energy.

Hey, JBonez, I like the T5 HOs. What is the difference (lumen wise) between HO and VHO tubes?

Latest posts

Back