72 hour dark prior to chop -- Will trichs continue to turn amber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dada

Reaction score
I have three plants that are nearly ready for the chop. They started week 9 in 12/12 today, and they showed sex about a week-and-a-half before I put them into 12/12. One is a Northern Lights x Big Bud and two are White Widows. On all three plants, the lower buds are about 30% amber, 50% cloudy, and 20% clear. The larger, main colas are more like 10% amber, 60% cloudy, and 30% clear.

If I start a 72 hour dark period tomorrow, will amber trichs continue to develop? I'd like my final trich ratio to be around 40% amber and 60% cloudy. If they go into a 72 hour dark period tomorrow and I harvest them on Thursday, that will put them at 9 weeks and 5 days.

One final question: After you put them in a 72 hour dark period, you chop them immediately after that, don't you? I mean, I don't turn the lights back on for a day or two do I?

When i did my dark period my tichs turned amber.
And yes i think u chop after the 72 hours, Well i did anyway!!

RAD

Like Rad said the tricks continue to turn and chop after the dark period. ALSO before you start the 72 hour make sure the soil has dried out and then water the plant 1/3 the normal amount of water to start the 72 hour dark. It has been said by many people this is a VERY important factor in getting the MOST out of the 72 hr dark.

What does a dark period do? How is this beneficial? What's the science behind it? Just curious.

bombbudpuffa said:
What does a dark period do? How is this beneficial? What's the science behind it? Just curious.

It's a method to increase the amount of resin in your bud before you harvest. Some people report a 20-35% increase in final yield weight over the traditional methods. Supposedly the plants must be dry and then given 1/3 the normal amount of water before going into 72 hr dark. You've bought sandwhich baggies of bud filled to the top that were 1 OZ dried and sandwhich baggies that were half full but weighed 1 OZ dried, right? Works for me, dense nugs.

Some people don't believe the method works, some do, works for me in side by side tests.

(Edit by Stoney. Linking to another marijuana forum isn't cool man.)

Linking to another forum from this one isn't right. Heck, if we allowed that, then why not just shut down this one and all go join that one? We'll keep all of our discussions on this site please. If there is an interest about a subject on another site, then you can bring the topic up here.

Thanks guys, lets not do that again, ok?

Seeing as the link was removed, could someone summarize what was on the other site or perhaps someone could pm me the link, thanks :)

since the link was removed could we get the actually science behind the link and the information working towards why 72 hour dark is correct.?? no light is no photosynethesis which makes the plants use its roots starch and other things to survive right?

Dada said:
Well, my plants are all down now. I let the WW go for a total of 72 days with the final 3 in darkness. I don't know if the 72 hours of darkness added anything or not. But I definitely don't think it hurt...

They are beautiful buds man. Congrats on your harvest.

MJ continues to grow more, fresh, new thc right up to the time you harvest them if you continue the light that makes photosynthesis possible. When light is removed, the plants entire growth slows, as does the thc production.

This much is proven through studies.

No studies have been done, (that I'm aware of), of light deprivation prior to harvest in relation to thc production or potency.

The increase in the amount of thc that has degraded would of course increase. When thc degrades, it turns amber. Pure thc is clear. When it starts clouding, it's started it's degradation. When it's very dark brown to black, it's no longer psychoactive. It's best to harvest when the clear to cloudy to amber is about 34%-33%-33%. You'll have the most new thc and also the largest percentage of the most potent thc at harvest that way.

I'm betting that yours will be very potent. The increased amber trichs will make it seem very, very strong because of the added CBNs that make the weed more couchlock then moving high.

Give us all a serious smoke report after curing if you will. Thanks

Stoney Bud said:
They are beautiful buds man. Congrats on your harvest.

MJ continues to grow more, fresh, new thc right up to the time you harvest them if you continue the light that makes photosynthesis possible. When light is removed, the plants entire growth slows, as does the thc production.

This much is proven through studies.

No studies have been done, (that I'm aware of), of light deprivation prior to harvest in relation to thc production or potency.

The increase in the amount of thc that has degraded would of course increase. When thc degrades, it turns amber. Pure thc is clear. When it starts clouding, it's started it's degradation. When it's very dark brown to black, it's no longer psychoactive. It's best to harvest when the clear to cloudy to amber is about 34%-33%-33%. You'll have the most new thc and also the largest percentage of the most potent thc at harvest that way.

I'm betting that yours will be very potent. The increased amber trichs will make it seem very, very strong because of the added CBNs that make the weed more couchlock then moving high.

Give us all a serious smoke report after curing if you will. Thanks
Good post and makes alot of sense.

Latest posts

Back