A few leaves look munched?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tact

Learning Everyday
Reaction score
What do you think?

I have 2 oscilating fans one on low pointed down on the plants, the other up a bit higher on medium blowing above the canopy. Could this be wind damage when the leaves are sprouting up and then as they get bigger show the tears they receivedat a much smaller size? I see no insects what so ever.

Reactions: zem
hey there tact, i dont know what exactly this is but it is very doubtfully wind damage since i'm having this and i don't have oscilating fan. i also dont see any insects but from the look of the leaf it does look like eaten :confused: it's not the first time i seen this i'm not very worried about it, i thought it might be a form of deficiency, i'll be sticking around to see what everyone says, thanks for the thread :)

I think you have a rabbits ghost jonesing 4 your plants.. ever shoot a bunny?

It's just a guess if you don't see bugs, but I tend to agree with Tact because of the upward curl of the cuts. And they do follow the natural line of the serration in the leaves.....
Possibly a bit of sand blasting effect as well ?:cool:

That's one tough fan.

Cockroaches quite probably.
I solved the same problem in my outdoor grow room which is prone to those horrible creatures, having even bitten off the tops of young seedlings, by spraying the walls and corners with Green Baygon - it's a serious insecticide so you need to vacate the plants before spraying and after too, for about half a day.

leafminer said:
Cockroaches quite probably.
I solved the same problem in my outdoor grow room which is prone to those horrible creatures, having even bitten off the tops of young seedlings, by spraying the walls and corners with Green Baygon - it's a serious insecticide so you need to vacate the plants before spraying and after too, for about half a day.

***! Seriously? I had the bug man throughly spray my house with insecticide, including my basement before I had the grow underway. I have never seen a cockroach in my house, but that does not mean they are not here I guess. That would blow my mind, they crawl up the plant and chew on the very top folliage of few plants (they are not next to each other). The grow room is very clean, no food in the entire basement. Weird!

tact do you have a camera? set it up and catch the dirty rat! er cockroach.

:eek: i dont have roaches, but could be some other insect that is not exactly a plant pest like a normal house spider i do occasionally see these but only the small ones. i never thought these insects would eat on my leaves. btw big brown roaches dont require a strong pesticide i have an odorless pesticide that works great for them but not to use on plants just around room and most importantly in the main drains and around doors etc.. for the small brown roaches which are much harder to deal with, those have a pesticide bait that works amazing, it's just a little piece of bait put in around the corners of room at like 3ft apart and they kill them all! i happen to have knowledge in eliminating roaches since i have a kind of phobia on them. i can see a snake or giant spider without freakin out but the roaches make me dance on my toes squealing :rofl:

Also I have a No-Pest strip in the room, had it in there since veg started. I do see spiders upstairs from time to time, but I leave them alone, because they eat other bugs!

@ 2Dog, LOL I do have a camera, buuuuut, yeah.

High-fives to everyone.

I see those mysterious leaves, looking like a something has been macking on them, but I never find the culprit. Sometimes I get the impression that some of those tears in the leaves ( the smaller ones) occur naturally as the leaf grows, but I have no idea what does it, and I don't worry about it anymore. As for that bigger tear, maybe there is some sort of bug, but I wouldn't worry about it. I've had that happen too, but nothing came of it.

ZEM I'm with you! I hate roaches!!!! we had them once when I was a kid, at one place we lived, and I put a pair of pants on one morning and the things ran down my leg. I have hated them ever since. My ex wife thought I was crazy because I bomb houses before I ever move anything in them, and thoroughly clean everything...lol...I have a terrible phobia of them...no other bugs...just roaches!

As far as the tears Tact...I get them occasionaly to..like everyone else I don't worry about them anymore. I attribute it to moving my pots a little here and there, leaves get caught on things...IT BETTER NOT BE ROACHES!

I hated living in Texas...those damn big things that fly...lol...big enough to fly away with a small child...ewwww!

My god!!!!!!!! The only solution is 10 gal of gas a match and insurance. Kill them all and burn ur stuff. LOL sry i couldnt help myself i hate those disusting things. We just got the german !s up here we dont get those big EDIT water roaces like down south but there all ungodly. I wouldnt jump quite to the bug problom yet if ur not seeing any thing id say theres nothing there. Those tares look like they go right along the vein od the leaf id say they grew two fast and that part just didnt hold for some reason. Kinda like when a fat kid gets strech marks. Ive seen it a few times but never put two much thought to it, now if u start seeing chew marks and eggs or critters nukem.

Tact to me that looks normal, from time to time plants just grow a little different looking leaves. You may have touched the plant ruffly or nknocked it over and done a little damage to the leave. I see this on plants I plan to put outside and think it is because I am ruff on them outside conditions are hard(hard rains, heavy wind, and things falling out the sky) so I try to make them tuff so they survive.

Hi Tact, You don't have those asian beetles do you? The ones that look like sweet innocent lady bugs? They are chewers. We have terrible infestations of those.

Hello Tact :)

You have an insect hiding somewhere.

:peace:

2 2 Insect.JPG

Put it this way... in the middle of winter, it's really cold. No other pests in sight. Nothing. And I place a few seedlings in the grow room and . . . I come back a few hours later and turn the lamps on to check something out and I see a great big brown one making a run for it. And one of the seedlings has the top bitten right off.

After I sprayed the walls, the following day I found a big one lying inside one of the pots, and three more around the bases of the pots. So now I consider them not just disgusting but deadly enemies.

I don't have roaches. I do get flies in the house with two dogs in and out all day. Yesterday I had two flies in the tent.... the light attracts like a magnet when I'm in there. I swatted at em like a girl till I got bored and impatient. I let it go thinking they couldn't do any harm? Apparently flies like a bit of pot leaf.... I have a 1/2" chunk out of one leaf today. grrrrrrrrrr
Have you spotted any flies in the house?

The mystery shall continue.

We don't have anything like the one you pictured HIE, but I have heard of the common ladybug impersonator the Asian ladybug and they are red as well though not around where I live? I will diligently search the perimeter for what I can.

Like leafminer say, I have seen nothing in my grow room, the temps outside were in the low 20s all last few weeks but the thaw has come and its 40s now. No-Pest strips are pretty deadly to insects aren't they? I just went down and inspected the room and nothing, checked corners, under the pots, I guess they could be hiding but they are elusive if they are indeed there (insects eating the leaves), I see no flies. I am not to concerned, as long they don't eat my flowers in a few weeks here!

Latest posts

Back