adding t5's to my current 3x3 tent grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Autoflower

Auto Flower Lover
Reaction score
so im puttin in more lights and i was just at my local nursery garden shop and they got t5's. i grabed a 4 footer that puts out 5022 lumens and is full specturm but the only way i can use the 4 footers is have the at an angle oe put them in the corner standing straight up. should i just get the 3 footers and get 4 of em? and have them right over top of the plants closer to em. the 3 footers are 39 watt 3627 lumens 36$ each and the 4footers are 5022 45$. im thinking about taken back the 4 footer and get 3 or 4 3footers wut do ya guys think?

Is this going to be supplimental light or you main lights>?

my 4 tube , 2' long T5 puts out 8,000 lumes , you might look into 1 of those , cost me $124.00 , uses 95w

budculese said:
my 4 tube , 2' long T5 puts out 8,000 lumes , you might look into 1 of those , cost me $124.00 , uses 95w

I agree... go check out the HO T5s at htg supply. They've got one for $69 - 8K lumens. Great customer service.

Since you are running a HPS you will have to put them(T5) on the side of your tent or they will block the light from the HPS. The T5 have to be 2 or 3 inches for the plant to get the best light for the plant from them and the HPS has to be 8+inches away on the count of heat given off by the bulb.

Really hard to see your plants but I might drop the light closer. Its looks a good foot and a half away if not more.

blunt man said:
so im puttin in more lights and i was just at my local nursery garden shop and they got t5's. i grabed a 4 footer that puts out 5022 lumens and is full specturm but the only way i can use the 4 footers is have the at an angle oe put them in the corner standing straight up. should i just get the 3 footers and get 4 of em? and have them right over top of the plants closer to em. the 3 footers are 39 watt 3627 lumens 36$ each and the 4footers are 5022 45$. im thinking about taken back the 4 footer and get 3 or 4 3footers wut do ya guys think?

Are these high output tubes? To be adequately lit with the 3' T5s, you would need 5-1/2 of them, so let's say 6 of them. Six times $36 is over $200. You can get a 400W HPS for about 1/2 that. You will reap far more bud with the HPS rather than the T5s.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Are these high output tubes? To be adequately lit with the 3' T5s, you would need 5-1/2 of them, so let's say 6 of them. Six times $36 is over $200. You can get a 400W HPS for about 1/2 that. You will reap far more bud with the HPS rather than the T5s.
i already have a 400w hps goin this is just extra light

I guess my question would be why not just add another 400w HPS lamp? I love my T5's for vegging but as said above you really need to have them a couple inches from the plants for them to be effective and this could be difficult to achieve during bloom with balancing the HPS lamp as well. I would bet you can get hooked up with a 400 hps for about the same as 3-4 of those 2' T5's that your contemplating. I just don't think you can beat the HPS for there power to push the light deep into the plant.

I'm guessing due to size of grow room and heat...but this is merely a guess.

I am taking it you're looking for "body lighting" for your babes? Some light to get those lower branch buds big and plump like the higher ones in the full light? If this is the case, you can get some T5's with the proper bulbs for either vegging or budding, stand them along the sides.

I could be way off here...this is what I am doing though as well...

Roddy said:
I'm guessing due to size of grow room and heat...but this is merely a guess.

I am taking it you're looking for "body lighting" for your babes? Some light to get those lower branch buds big and plump like the higher ones in the full light? If this is the case, you can get some T5's with the proper bulbs for either vegging or budding, stand them along the sides.

I could be way off here...this is what I am doing though as well...
ya heats a problem and space so this too is raising the heat a few degress with 2 of these t5s in there.im gonna put in the other when my light comes one.the 6400k full spectrum should be nice for the veging plants in there

my T5 (2' , 4 tube 6500 k's )keeps my 24w" x 27L" x 48h" 78 deg with only passive venting if that helps .

OldHippieChick said:
I agree... go check out the HO T5s at htg supply. They've got one for $69 - 8K lumens. Great customer service.
:holysheep: I WAS ROBBED !( i paid $124)

hydrotoker said:
Really hard to see your plants but I might drop the light closer. Its looks a good foot and a half away if not more.
its a foot away from the canopy at all times mang

Latest posts

Back