advice for venting hood & filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazydog

Reaction score
I've got 2 dayton 273 cfm fans. Originally one was going to be used with the carbon filter and the other with a 1000 watt vented hood. My question is,Should I vent, filter-hood- exhaust and just use one fan or should I dedicate one fan to each item? If I use one fan it would cut down on,noise,power and maybe even some room in the grow area. Two fans might cool better and keep my temps down a bit. I'm growing in a 8x8x8 room in my garage.Whats the best way to go with this type of setup?

I'd set-up with the more effecient system. One fan sucking air through the filter, your light and out an exhaust. See how this works and you can always seperate the light cooling fan and exhaust fan later if heat becomes an issue.

argh.......my friend just gave me another 1000 watt switchable ballast :hubba:.If I were to rub both do you think it would still handle the heat or would it be time to add another fan? I guess I could wait and see.....I just need to buy another vented hood & bulb.

if i had both of those fans i would hook up one from the fan through the exhaust and through the filter and use the other for the intake fan. that is how i would do it but its might not be the best way

I would suggest using both:
Intake - aircooled hood(s) - fan - exhaust
Carbon filter - fan - exhaust

Good luck :)

I would use both lights and fans. I would set it up
<-fan<-light<-carbon filter<-. The fan would draw air through the filter then the light and blow out the box. Make both lights independent and you 8x8x8 box will glow.

With two 1000s I'd use both systems for sure. Pay your electric on time every time - you'll be all good. Good luck.

I would do like Kingbud said, only add that you want to duct outside air to first hood, then first hood to second hood and then out through fan eliminating need for filter. Use second fan + filter to exhaust room...if it was me.

hook up one from the fan through the exhaust and through the filter
The fan would draw air through the filter then the light and blow out the box.
In my experience, with this kind of setup, expect to get carbon dust on your light. Big PITA.

mmmmm..didnt really think about carbon dust on the bulb,does it like self etch itself into the bulb or can I do a cold wipe and clean the particles off? starting to think maybe I should keep'em separate if I go duel lights. As a side note my room is being built to use negative pressure to contain odors. Thanks for all the help guy's :).

DOH!!!! I just realized what PITA stood for! Dont need anymore of those,especially big ones. I bet it is a pain to have to wipe everything down,especially when your in the middle of a man made forest:D.

Latest posts

Back