Aerial Roots cloning possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
I am wondering has anyone tried cloning with aerial roots?
Like:
Make a small ball of coco mixed with rooting compound and moisten it.
Scrape the stem of the branch near where it meets the main stem, exposing fresh tissue.
Quickly wrap the ball of coco around the scraped part of the stem and put some tape around to hold it in place. Then keep the coco damp until aerial roots grow from it, then sever the rooted branch from the stem and plant it in a pot.

you are really tempt me doing it... why not you do it and see for yourself?
we could get same genetic like tissue clones does...

so far... marijuana cultivators has went so far with technology with genetics!!
its nice to learn :)

Why would you go to all that work and trouble when you could just lop it off and toss it in a glass of water or some rockwool?

leafminer said:
I am wondering has anyone tried cloning with aerial roots?
Like:
Make a small ball of coco mixed with rooting compound and moisten it.
Scrape the stem of the branch near where it meets the main stem, exposing fresh tissue.
Quickly wrap the ball of coco around the scraped part of the stem and put some tape around to hold it in place. Then keep the coco damp until aerial roots grow from it, then sever the rooted branch from the stem and plant it in a pot.
yup.. I think it's called "layering" or 'air layering' in some circles.. almost foolproof IMO

Tater said:
Why would you go to all that work and trouble when you could just lop it off and toss it in a glass of water or some rockwool?

Well, I am not that good at the traditional way ... it seems to me that this way I wouldn't risk the clone dying off because it would still get nutrients from the plant. I'll try it soon and report what happens.

Cool beans take some pics while your at it. Wouldn't mind seeing it.

just try it with only straight water clean water, maybe some of solutions from the 2 cent tissue clones thread I posted.. use the solutions along with the water maybe..

I have done it with hops rhyzme roots... it works nice for beers too.. plan to
do it again soon and will grow hops outside...

Hick said:
yup.. I think it's called "layering" or 'air layering' in some circles.. almost foolproof IMO

Hick's correct. It's called "Air Layering" and is a very common Bonsai technique. I'd actually recommend Bonsai as a hobby to anyone in the grow biz as you'll learn quite a bit about growing, have some fun with some different plants and not to mention it's a good excuse for all those tools, nutes and etc.

(i've actually taken it (Bonsai)up as a hobby until my "restrictions" are lifted and i get back to the fun stuff again)

Never tried it with the herb before though.....definately have to!

Latest posts

Back