amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddog

Reaction score
what is the current draw in electicial amps for say a 1000 watt hps or mh

typing this from my phone so it'll have to stay short. 1W = 1A x 1V so watts equal amps times volts. This means if you're running on 120v then
1000W = ?A x 120v so after solving Amps drawn are 8.33 remeber a 15amp breaker should only be run at 80% capacity. So only 1 1000W light per 15amp breaker. Hope that helps and is understandable from my cheesey phone browser.

Chronic007

Chronic007 said:
typing this from my phone so it'll have to stay short. 1W = 1A x 1V so watts equal amps times volts. This means if you're running on 120v then
1000W = ?A x 120v so after solving Amps drawn are 8.33 remeber a 15amp breaker should only be run at 80% capacity. So only 1 1000W light per 15amp breaker. Hope that helps and is understandable from my cheesey phone browser.

Chronic007

Your right on with your formula, but the ballast has some loses so it pulls more like 1100 watts. and thats 9.16 amps.

Growdude said:
Your right on with your formula, but the ballast has some loses so it pulls more like 1100 watts. and thats 9.16 amps.

Volts X Amps = Watts
There is power consumed by the ballast. That's why it's HOT. The ballast amps + light amps = total amp draw.

Here is the spec on a 1,000 watt HPS ballast set-up: http://www.1000bulbs.com/1000-Watt-High-Pressure-Sodium/875/

And one on equal, but MH set-up: http://www.1000bulbs.com/1000-Watt-Metal-Halide-Ballast/734/

Scroll down and look at OPERATING LINE CURRENT (AMPS). Chose your voltage and there's your amp draw to plan your circuits.

BTW, Thanks Growdude for the website link in another post - it will get a lot of use.

PB:)

Pot Belly said:
Volts X Amps = Watts
There is power consumed by the ballast. That's why it's HOT. The ballast amps + light amps = total amp draw.

BTW, Thanks Growdude for the website link in another post - it will get a lot of use.

Glad you can use that link, I got it here from someone :)

Just to clarify, its just the ballast amps that is the load on your circuit
Not the ballast and bulb.
The bulb is the load on the transformer (ballast).

Growdude said:
Glad you can use that link, I got it here from someone :)

Just to clarify, its just the ballast amps that is the load on your circuit
Not the ballast and bulb.
The bulb is the load on the transformer (ballast).

I now understand what is happening with bulb and ballast. :rolleyes: Thanks again for the enlightenment, Growdude.

Thanks for correcting that for me guys, that makes perfect sense. With the heat bleeding off the ballasts there is certainly more energy used than amps drawn directly by the bulb.

Chronic007 :smoke1:

1000w Hps @ 220v runs 4.5 amps
1000w hps@ 110 runs 9 amps

Hope that helps

Ohms Law will always determine the relationship between Voltage (E), Current (I) and Resistance (R).

Here is a handy little calculator that will simplify calculating the answer you're looking for:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/ohmslaw.htm

Plug in the two values you know and it will tell you the missing value.

Good luck to you!!!!

OhmsLawCalcs.JPG

Thanks for correcting that for me guys, that makes perfect sense

Wish it made sense to me!!!! :(

So do I really need to understand this stuff before I can do an inside grow....:confused: I know I will need some kind of grow lights for my first inside grow...but is there a post on MarP re: Beginner start-up for indoor grows...? :eek:

Latest posts

Back