Another quick bubbler question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggydabomb

biggrow
Reaction score
made a bubbler last night and im quite impressed of the idea and of my handywork, i have just a few quick questions about these, i read the entire DIY tutorial and seen nowhere about water temperature and if a humidity dome is needed or what the room humidity should be if a dome is nof needed...also once my roots are sprouted is it ok to transplant them in soil? i dont see any reason why i couldnt just wanted to make sure also i have seen where people arent using root hormone and where people are using root hormone....if i decide to use root hormone do i put it in the water or on the clone?

When I use my diy bubbler I run my water temp. at 82f with no dome or rooting hormone. I do not worry about room humidity. Yes you can transplant once roots show

pcduck said:
When I use my diy bubbler I run my water temp. at 82f with no dome or rooting hormone. I do not worry about room humidity. Yes you can transplant once roots show

thanks alot for the info ill let you guys know how it goes

duck, when you are cloning how long does it usually take to see root growth?

i cut some clones 8 days ago and to my suprise this morning when i woke up 3 out of six shot roots this was with shultz root hormone and peat plugs.... i used 2 containers. first container was a four foot long 2 foot deep storage container used to store clothes in and another small tupperware container that sits inside the larger storage container i added about an inch of water to the tupperware container then stuck a home heating pad under it and put it on the lowest setting... then you take your clones and sit them in an even smaller container (i used a seed tray for this with no drain wholes) it is very important that the water doesnt get to your peat plugs and soak them or it can rot your clone) i also used a small ultrasonic humidifier i got at lowes for 20 bucks and stuck it inside there, then stuck my 4ft flouros above them they sit perfect on top of the storage container i then took a plastic sheet i had laying around and covered the light around the container so the heat and humidity remain in the container to my suprise this created a perfect environment for clones 82 degrees and 95% humidity if you dont have a humidifier you can grab a humidity dome almost anywhere and also if you use a humidity dome i dont think the plastic sheet would be neccesarry but i think the sheet also helps keep in the heat. i have humidity domes but i like the idea of being able to see the exact temperature of the environment the clones are in and with the domes ontop of them its hard to get a temp/humidity gauge in there ill let you know how the bubbler works gonna take some more clones this week sometime

a picture is worth a thousand words.... hehe...
hey duck, i thought 82 F was to hot for DWC water temps..?
maybe i need a thermometer...

diggydabomb,

In addition to what has been said, BE VERY CAREFUL with heating pads! They will very easily burn/boil your clones unless it s rather cold in your room. Likewise with the cheaper propagation mats. Their thermostats, if they even have any work on a difference between the surrounding air and the surface of the pad. Most of them don't even do that but just change the amount of electricity going through the pad and thereby creating a given amount of heat. Of course if it is 60F then that amount of heat raises the temp to say 80F BUT if the starting temp is 90F that same 20F temp rise puts your clones at 90F which is too hot. I lost a full crop of clones ot that problem with a propagation mat, much less a heating pad.I'm real glad that yours turned out okay.

Follow the instructions closely with the rooting hormone. They made it and they probably should know how to use it.

It is up to you how soon to pull the the clones after they show roots. Many of us feel that the bigger more established the roots are the better but there are other opinions too.

So far as transferring them in soil, IF you are going to be raising them in soil, the transplant them into small pots and veg them several days before transporting them to give them a chance to rebound from the stress of being transplanting. Or IF you are going to raise them in HYDRO, transport them in nutrient solution. Maybe the best way to transport clones is to VERY GENTLY transplant them into perlite with what ever solution they have been in, and then when you get ready to transplant them after you get them where ever they are going, submerge the entire pot under PHed water and GENTLY agitate the pot back and forth while GENTLY lifting on the clone. The perlite will actually float away from the roots and disturb the roots very little. You can then transplant the clone into what ever medium you are going to grow it in. The main thing is to disturb the roots and stress the clone as little as possible.

Oh, not to criticize but if you had labeled this thread "another cloning question" here in this section or had posted this title and question in the hydro section you might have had better response. People tend to screen out topics that don't seem to fit their interests and a bubbler question isn't usually related to the the growing/propagation questions this section deals with. Don't feel bad, we all do it.

Great smoking and I'm very glad you had the results you did.

diggydabomb,

If you get that kind of results, why are you worried about changing to a bubbler?

Also, the most important thing that I have found using any method has been temperature, ideally 78F to 80F, according to the botanists I know, but they will usually do okay up to 5F warmer or cooler.

Great smoking.

bubbler just seems so much cheaper without buying the root hormone and the peat plugs and with being able to fit about 30 at a time seems way more efficient then trying to use 30 peat plugs and all that root hormone....i also like the idea of being able to see the roots sprout so i can see what im dealing with. hey im a cheap basturd lol and about the heating pad..... i have it underneath a container in which has water....then my clones sit in another container inside the water. i have a temperature gauge in the water which reads 82 even...is it still possible for burning or boiling as you say?? since the pad is not directly underneath the clones itself? its just simply warming the water up right? so your saying 82 is to hot?? i watched a video from some coffee shop in amsterdam where they said 82 was perfect condition... but hey they could be wrong

growman05 said:
duck, when you are cloning how long does it usually take to see root growth?

varies quite a bit but usually between 10-14 days and have gone as lone as 21 days and still got roots

ishnish this 82f temp is only for the bubble cloner, once transplanted to dwc I run my temps at 68f.

I've had great results in my clone bubbler for years using only water as long as I keep the water temp somewhere in the 70's though I've never raised it as much as PCduck... The only time I've had very slow rooting is when the water temps get down in the low to mid 60's or if the PH gets really outta whack. I've pretty much rooted every which way cuz I like to tinker around but I settled in on using a bubbler many years ago after seeing how perky and happy the clones stay from the time they are cut until they root and rarely show any stress.

Happy Bubbling!

Latest posts

Back