Any ideas what is causing this bronzing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Details: happening on 1 of the 2 plants in this tent over the last 24 hours. Spots appear on 4 lower leaves. Plants are 21 days old in Fox Farms Happy Frog soil. Temp 75%, RH ~50%. Have only watered with pH 6.5 water, no additional nutrients. CalMag+ added at 4mL/G to the last 3 waterings. Last watering was 60 hours ago. Lighting is 1x Mars Hydro TS1000 running at full blast. I do have exhaust extraction and a carbon filter inline.

I've deeply inspected for pests and haven't seen a trace of them.

This plant is being mainline trained. Topped about a week ago, and tied down over the past 48hrs.

Any ideas?
20210519_075949.jpg

whats your ph? input, soil, and runoff......looks like a ph issue and i have heard of others using happy frog having ph issues.

Reactions: gmo
@nobogart thanks. They were due for a watering this morning. As always I measure pH in, and pH runoff. Both tested at 6.5. running city tap water with a starting pH of 7.4 before adjusting.

@nobogart again, thanks for taking the time to try and help. I appreciate it.

The only thing that my soil plants are receiving right now is CalMag+ @ 4mL/G over the last 4 waterings (the latest watering was today). PPM of city tap water is 550. I do not test after adding CalMag or pH down for my soil grow.

I've combed many deficiency/excess charts throughout the years and don't recognize what this specific issue could possibly be.
20210519_102612.jpg

sorry i could not be more help ...ya know happy frog is pre-loaded with ferts.........

Happy Frog soil is perfect for seeds and clones but will need food after a couple weeks.

@nobogart sometimes it's just helpful to talk it out with someone even if we don't come to a conclusion. I'm going to keep an eye on this girl and see what happens, it hasn't seemed to progress in the past 12hrs.

Yes, I realize that FFHF is preloaded with nutrients, which is why I'm only supplementing with CalMag right now.

Again, thanks for your time and your input. Much appreciated!

It is your use of CalMag+ by itself that is the problem. When you fertilize a plant, you need to provide a balanced nutrient solution that includes primary and secondary nutrients, and trace minerals. Using CalMag+ alone is a great example of being out of balance because everything else is missing, and because of that, you have created a nutrient lockout.

Stop giving it CalMag+ and use a balanced nutrient solution at 50% strength. Since you are using FF perhaps go with their fertilizer products.

You can't really flush your soil as that will likely create other problems. And your plant will likely get worse before it gets better. And by the way, I know because when I first got back into growing I was feeding CalMag+ alone to my plants in FFOF, and had the same problem, though it definitely got much worse. But I got her to the finish line.

P.S. I see you noted 75% F and 50% RH. At that temp, and in veg, your RH is way too low. Please see the attached VPD chart. Good luck!

Attachments

• Leaf-Vapor-Pressure-Deficit-VPD-2.jpg
    Leaf-Vapor-Pressure-Deficit-VPD-2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 8
That city water is way high in something
probably calcium as most are in my area and when i used city water i never needed to add cal/mag only needed to after i switched to r/o water.

It is your use of CalMag+ by itself that is the problem. When you fertilize a plant, you need to provide a balanced nutrient solution that includes primary and secondary nutrients, and trace minerals. Using CalMag+ alone is a great example of being out of balance because everything else is missing, and because of that, you have created a nutrient lockout.

Stop giving it CalMag+ and use a balanced nutrient solution at 50% strength. Since you are using FF perhaps go with their fertilizer products.

You can't really flush your soil as that will likely create other problems. And your plant will likely get worse before it gets better. And by the way, I know because when I first got back into growing I was feeding CalMag+ alone to my plants in FFOF, and had the same problem, though it definitely got much worse. But I got her to the finish line.

P.S. I see you noted 75% F and 50% RH. At that temp, and in veg, your RH is way too low. Please see the attached VPD chart. Good luck!
I had trouble mixing Happy frog and Ocean forest, but just fine with OF by itself, perfect for the soil.

I add cal mag to water with no problems. Everytime I water it has cal mag whether or not nutes are used.

I only had trouble when I didn't. Current grow leaves are perfect green no spots or funny business.

For reference, OF soil, OG Kush genetics. For fertilizer, Nukeheads veg and Nukeheads bloom. Cal mag added to all water whether with nutes or not.

GH Cal Mag, as well as their UP/DOWN set. PH meter (Apera) and an EC meter.
PH any and all fluids.

Most healthy grow I've had, no spots, yellowing etc. Lush and green. We'll see what yield is....

Bubba

I do believe the issue is light burn.

The city water PPM is certainly high. I've looked at the city water report and it's high Calcium content (hard water), which I suspected. It's so bad that I run tap water through a Pur filter prior to using it in my humidifiers because of the deposits it creates which end up clogging my carbon pre-filters.

The affected plant was accidently topped at the very first node whole I was doing an LST tie down. The leafs that are showing burn are the first 4 that the plant put out after the topping. All new growth is very healthy and hasn't slowed. At this point I'm not going to worry about it any further.

Attachments

• 20210520_095852.jpg
    20210520_095852.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210520_095857.jpg
    20210520_095857.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back