Anybody doing any green work around the house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuggles

I was there...he inhaled
Reaction score
So has anyone done anything "green" to the house. I am just getting into it, got myself a house about 2 years ago and I love DIY it is so gratifying when you are done. I have done a couple things, none rea; big but it's a start and that's OK for now...if I ever get money the sky is the limit.

I have built a deck and all of my garden beds and features out of salvaged wood, even got some nice big railroad ties. I have also completed my rainwater irrigation and the gardens love it, it's very basic but it works great, and perfect for the poor,am IMO. Oh and on a real small scale I actaually use my MJ hydro roots to tie stuff down in the gardens, and it's simple and all but it's still fun.

Share what you have done, even if it's something small like me, small is good too and maybe we can all get some ideas from each other. I am dying to hear more about solar panels if anyone has done that. Small or big share it with us...

I started a compost bin,:holysheep:

also made a raised herb garden, using left over 4x4's I had given to me.

also working on making a worm farm to get my own casings from, my grampa did this back in the 70's it was very cool. he used a big old metal cooler, left the hindged lid on, drilled holes in the bottom (for drainage)and covered holes with fine stiff screen(to keep the worms from escaping) then he buried the cooler to its lid, so you could open and close lid. he made air holes and filled cooler with mom's fine black compost and added worms. man that stuff was the best for gardens. he made the farm because he fished all the time and this way he had a fresh supply of worms and mom had their poo for her plants. win win! I remember him just dropping food scraps into also.lol

also changed all light bulbs around the house with those fancy looking, long life, less watt and more expensive bulbs. did them all. I think I spent 50 bucks in bulbs but they say they last 9 yrs! I replace bulbs one a year with the old kind and they use more watts, so I did the math and I think I will save money and elec in the long run.

CFLs, the strange looking bulbs can also be used on plants. I did that, one thing makes me laugh though, they have mercury in them LOL, also the whole country must be using them by 2012? Or something like that.

Cool a worm farm, I have to try that. I have also thought about composting, I just need room and some more reading on it. I like to do it right and I am not too familiar with it.

the compost bin was on my saturday chore list when I was a kid!

I bought a nice one with a lock type lid on it, had to replace all the plastic screws that came with it and get metal ones but the whole thing is made of a recycled resin type materal it's heavy when all together and I got it for under 40 bucks. I like it. has nice side vents and a bottom tilt door for getting out the good composted stuff, and the top comes off easy so I can turn it over and mix it up once a week. I dont put flesh or weeds into it.

it's their roots I dont want in there.

oh, and I didnt know you could use those bulbs for growing!

learn something new everyday!

Well I've been busy,
Last week i extended my greenhouse by 15ft in length, so now it's 27ft long, 5ft wide and with a 6 1/2ft heigth limit. Today after work i built a new wood gate to enclose my garden from the only entrance. This should help stop the oil and battery acid that my friendly neighbor sprays poisoning my plants. I have also planted 10 new kahuna seed's outdoor and have 6 new sprouts of superskunk. Tomorrow i have to tear out the old plastic and put up new greenhouse plastic over the roof of the greenhouse. Will post some pics tomorrow of home-built greenhouse for under $200.00 dollars!! Cant wait to see results!!! Peace and Love!!!!!!!
Roken.

Roken said:
Well I've been busy,
Last week i extended my greenhouse by 15ft in length, so now it's 27ft long, 5ft wide and with a 6 1/2ft heigth limit. Today after work i built a new wood gate to enclose my garden from the only entrance. This should help stop the oil and battery acid that my friendly neighbor sprays poisoning my plants. I have also planted 10 new kahuna seed's outdoor and have 6 new sprouts of superskunk. Tomorrow i have to tear out the old plastic and put up new greenhouse plastic over the roof of the greenhouse. Will post some pics tomorrow of home-built greenhouse for under $200.00 dollars!! Cant wait to see results!!! Peace and Love!!!!!!!
Roken.

Cool I would love to see it...I want a greenhouse but I am afraid to have one...:eek:

It doesn't have anything to do with the house but someone I do work for and have been friends with for years just had a baby girl his second and his last...the wife had some problems but she is OK now, whew. Anyways I thought I would send flowers so I did and then I thought what could they use...I ordered them some Hemp diapers LOL.

snuggles said:
It doesn't have anything to do with the house but someone I do work for and have been friends with for years just had a baby girl his second and his last...the wife had some problems but she is OK now, whew. Anyways I thought I would send flowers so I did and then I thought what could they use...I ordered them some Hemp diapers LOL.

That's awesome!:cool:

I have done little things so far, but I am really environmentally conscious (friends started recycling after I started bins at their houses for when I would visit!) I recycle everything possible (cans, glass, plastic, paper, cardboard), donate clothes, look for furniture and stuff in yard sales and flea markets that I can refurbish/re use, use canvas bags for groceries, buy organic food, use CFL's, open widows to adjust itemps inside instead of using C/A, RE-USE SEVERAL 20gal BINS FROM MOVING TO MAKE DWC SYSTEM!:D

Latest posts

Back