Smoking wood. And meat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbOldster

Reaction score
I went up to my favorite local overpriced smoking wood store yesterday to get some cherry because I'm almost out. All they had were small bags of chunks (less than 5 lbs) for $13.99. :oops: The store owner told me it was because of the heat this summer - the lumbermen didn't want to go out in the heat, therefore there's a shortage.

I don't know about all that - I dug around a little and couldn't find anything related online. I did find some places that would send me 40lb bags for about the same price, though! I only do a small bit of smoking for my wife and myself and a few select friends, and I don't want to store a freakin' warehouse full of wood, but I have a big deck box it'll stay safe in, and I just cut it to whatever size I need at the time, so I'll go to them when I'm ready to replenish.

Anyone else here smoke meats? Heard of a shortage? Got a favorite source for cooking wood? I like citrus, but you can't get it here, so whenever I go to Florida, sis and her old man hook me up.

Thanks!

Did some short ribs last week with some cherry wood actually. I love smoking and smoking haha. Love doing chicken too. 124529.jpg152733.jpg

I always prefered fresh apple, followed by hickory. My source is the trees out back.
My two apple trees were old men by the time I bought my house. They finally died, and I've been using them for a good while. They're almost all gone now. I might have ten pounds left, so I'll have to buy afterwards.

That looks good...
Thank you, sir. I monitor temps in the grill with a thermopro TP25 and just probe with an instant read for tenderness. Beef ribs and chuck roasrs are my favorites and tritip if I only have a 3-4 hours. I got a stack of mesquite from an old tree from my front yard, a bag of cherry and royal oak briquettes.

I always prefered fresh apple, followed by hickory. My source is the trees out back.
I use hickory. A have a gigantic pecan tree ( that makes the tiniest pecans I have ever seen.) My neighbor always wants any branches that fall to smoke with. Anyone use pecan?

Bubba

Have you ever smoked with pecan wood? I guess you would have mentioned it if so. We have a place here called the Woodyard, which sells wood to the Kansas City Bar B que joints. It's an old house with two large brick smoker things. They sell wood and cook. You can eat there, there is whatever they decide to smoke that day, and sort of make prices on the fly. Every kind of smoking wood, just don't recall pecan. My neighbor swears by it.

Bubba

Have you ever smoked with pecan wood? I guess you would have mentioned it if so. We have a place here called the Woodyard, which sells wood to the Kansas City Bar B que joints. It's an old house with two large brick smoker things. They sell wood and cook. You can eat there, there is whatever they decide to smoke that day, and sort of make prices on the fly. Every kind of smoking wood, just don't recall pecan. My neighbor swears by it.

Bubba
I use it.

"The pecan (Carya illinoinensis) is a species of hickory native to Mexico and the southcentral and southeastern regions of the United States.

Agree or not, the hickory family is the Waltons of the hardwoods. With their monopoly on taste, flavor profile, and aroma, they are a staple for smoking meats.

One of the hickory’s most famous members is pecan wood. It is a lightly smoky, nutty, and mildly sweet-flavored wood that barbeque lovers consistently use and admire due to the immaculate taste it adds to the food."

https://www.lakesidesmokers.com/what-should-i-smoke-with-pecan-wood/

I went up to my favorite local overpriced smoking wood store yesterday to get some cherry because I'm almost out. All they had were small bags of chunks (less than 5 lbs) for $13.99. :oops: The store owner told me it was because of the heat this summer - the lumbermen didn't want to go out in the heat, therefore there's a shortage.

I don't know about all that - I dug around a little and couldn't find anything related online. I did find some places that would send me 40lb bags for about the same price, though! I only do a small bit of smoking for my wife and myself and a few select friends, and I don't want to store a freakin' warehouse full of wood, but I have a big deck box it'll stay safe in, and I just cut it to whatever size I need at the time, so I'll go to them when I'm ready to replenish.

Anyone else here smoke meats? Heard of a shortage? Got a favorite source for cooking wood? I like citrus, but you can't get it here, so whenever I go to Florida, sis and her old man hook me up.

Thanks!
Bullshit. Lumbermen work in the heat like everybody else. That guy was full of shit.
I'm in Texas and you should see all the wood that has been cut and setting in wood yards for sale.

Bullshit. Lumbermen work in the heat like everybody else. That guy was full of shit.
I'm in Texas and you should see all the wood that has been cut and setting in wood yards for sale.
Yeah, I wondered about that.
That's all right. I've been going there 20 years or better. If that's how he treats old customers...

I use it.

"The pecan (Carya illinoinensis) is a species of hickory native to Mexico and the southcentral and southeastern regions of the United States.

Agree or not, the hickory family is the Waltons of the hardwoods. With their monopoly on taste, flavor profile, and aroma, they are a staple for smoking meats.

One of the hickory’s most famous members is pecan wood. It is a lightly smoky, nutty, and mildly sweet-flavored wood that barbeque lovers consistently use and admire due to the immaculate taste it adds to the food."

https://www.lakesidesmokers.com/what-should-i-smoke-with-pecan-wood/
Wow. I guess it is indeed a thing. I didn't know it was related to hickory! I will try some. Branches in burn pile now.

Bubba

I had a nice Smoker when I lived in Yuma AZ. I used Pecan from time to time. There is a lot of it in SW AZ. My Goto was Mesquite. Neighbors always wanted me to remove their Mesquite Trees. They are very Messy. I had a 20" Stihl so I got free wood.

Latest posts

Back