Anybody germ in rockwool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'ma Joker Midnight Toker

Drive fast, take chances
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm still at least a week -10 days away before I start (delays), got half my stuff & seeds but want to wait till it's all here. The grow room is half built.... Anyway I was thinking of making an aeroponics seed germinator & using rockwool as the germ medium. I have a fogger on the way that I want to try to keep the seeds moist with, later it will be used for cloning. Anyone germinate in rock wool? If so, could you share your results, methods?
Thanks ;)

sure ya can... no different then putting it straight in wet dirt....

Hey Bro,
Hey buddy,

I tryed to germinated 10 seeds straight in rockwool. I pre soaked with the right PH. What happend was they did crack and did get black gross inside of the seed but that was about it. I do not think this method has a high success rate, mabye I should have let them crack first then stuck it in the rockwool. IMO the paper towel method works the best for me, there are other techniques out there. The only thing you have to worrie about with paper towel is, I like to get the root kind of long before I transplant it, and some times the root can grow into the paper towel which thus makes it harder to extract, but that has happend to me once, you just have to Keep an eye on the roots when you check on them to see there progress. So basically what it comes down to is try to find another way of germinating before you stick it into the RW, I think you will have a higher success rate. If you are stuck on trying it, I would do like 5 paper towel and like 5 in the Rockwool, so you dont end up like I did and have 10 dead seed that I couldnt use.

Thanks
SALT

SALTROCK said:
Hey Bro,
Hey buddy,

I tryed to germinated 10 seeds straight in rockwool. I pre soaked with the right PH. What happend was they did crack and did get black gross inside of the seed but that was about it. I do not think this method has a high success rate, mabye I should have let them crack first then stuck it in the rockwool. IMO the paper towel method works the best for me, there are other techniques out there. The only thing you have to worrie about with paper towel is, I like to get the root kind of long before I transplant it, and some times the root can grow into the paper towel which thus makes it harder to extract, but that has happend to me once, you just have to Keep an eye on the roots when you check on them to see there progress. So basically what it comes down to is try to find another way of germinating before you stick it into the RW, I think you will have a higher success rate. If you are stuck on trying it, I would do like 5 paper towel and like 5 in the Rockwool, so you dont end up like I did and have 10 dead seed that I couldnt use.

Thanks
SALT
My thinking was I didn't want to handle or stress them, but that was enough info for me to scrub it, don't need to lose any, I've done paper towel before just fine, guess I'll stick with it , especially after paying for primo seeds...Thanks.

im a total rookie and i went right into rockwool starter cubes with 22 seeds. i did the paper towel on the sattelite box for 24 hours until they cracked and dropped them into ph soaked rockwool cubes and under a dome. kept them ontop of my sattelite box and covered with a towel. all 22 sprouted (bagseed) and they vegged for a month and went into flower last night. if i can do it anyone can do it. im going to do another 10 ak-47 in about a month and ill go the same route

You can germinate in rockwool just fine, putting them in an aero system however wouldn't really make that much difference.

If cannabis indica or sativa was growing wild and got pollenated the seeds would fall to the floor and germinate when the season were right, which would be in spring time.

If you copy these actions and lead them to believe it is the right time of year and the right circumstances for them to be growing then they will.

Saltrock, you probably had that black stuff come with some overwatering.

I just germinated 11 white russian seeds in the cube and got 11/11, i'll admit that it is not my preferred method and the paper towel method is better, but thats only because its easier to check on the seed and germination time frame.

Latest posts

Back